OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you do with them?

Started by Turkeytaker203, January 31, 2023, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: runngun on January 31, 2023, 08:43:15 PM
I have a friend, who's Black, and he will take every raccoon that I can put my hands on. Especially this time of year. Superbowl parties. I eat them as well and I like them!!When my son was in high-school him and a buddy trapped a pile of coons. Sold for $20 a piece, 20 of them. This one fellow bought every one of them. 

Have a good one and May God bless y'all
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk
We know people from about every race that will eat one form or another of trapped critter. We can't sell them as that would be illegal. (As a meat animal) as I understand it. I know of some white guys from NYC that just love their coon and woodchuck. I could not eat a woodchuck myself, I could not get over the smell and the ticks they have all over them and that was before ticks got bad back in the 90's. My problem with coon would be the worms, I guess it is the same one black bear have, I do not recall the name though I know I know it. I have heard of people eating them that say they are not bad but you would be eating them and every now and again you would get a part that would kind of crunch and be chewy and you know you were eating one of those worms. NO THANK YOU
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

runngun

Sir-diealot, you are absolutely correct!!!! I know the worm you are talking about but I can't think of it either.  Squirrel in the south can get them. That's why I don't hunt them until after our first frost. Cold weather will get rid of them. We always called them "Wolves". Some type of parasite.   
I am thankful that I live in a free part of Our Great Country.  I could not imagine living in New York or California. 

Have a good one
Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Yoder409

Quote from: runngun on January 31, 2023, 09:10:48 PM
Only thing I ain't eating is a possum.  Draw the line there.

I hear they taste just like ticks.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

WV Flopper

LoL 409, that's a good one delivered at the right moment.

Squirrels get warbles. Bears can have a worm that causes trichinosis, same as pork. Cook your meat well and avoid.

I will admit, when I shoot a squirrel with a warble I chuck it.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: runngun on January 31, 2023, 09:32:13 PM
Sir-diealot, you are absolutely correct!!!! I know the worm you are talking about but I can't think of it either.  Squirrel in the south can get them. That's why I don't hunt them until after our first frost. Cold weather will get rid of them. We always called them "Wolves". Some type of parasite.   
I am thankful that I live in a free part of Our Great Country.  I could not imagine living in New York or California. 

Have a good one
Bo

I have been in many states and will tell you New York is one of the most beautiful, our government absolutely sucks though. I dream of a day that NYC becomes it's own state and "Upstate" can govern itself.

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 31, 2023, 09:43:12 PM
LoL 409, that's a good one delivered at the right moment.

Squirrels get warbles. Bears can have a worm that causes trichinosis, same as pork. Cook your meat well and avoid.

I will admit, when I shoot a squirrel with a warble I chuck it.
Yes,  trichinosis that is it, thank you very much. I hate it when I know something and can't recall it.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Cowboy

Raccoons have a gland in their legs that must be removed. I boil them with seasoning, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Once tender, I put them on a pan with sweet potatoes and bake until Taters are done.  Or when they are boiled with crab boil, then put on barbecue grill!!! Only thing I ain't eating is a possum.  Draw the line there.

Have a good one,
Bo

BBQ coon is very good and I 2nd drawing a line with a possum.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cowboy on January 31, 2023, 10:33:20 PM
Raccoons have a gland in their legs that must be removed. I boil them with seasoning, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Once tender, I put them on a pan with sweet potatoes and bake until Taters are done.  Or when they are boiled with crab boil, then put on barbecue grill!!! Only thing I ain't eating is a possum.  Draw the line there.

Have a good one,
Bo

BBQ coon is very good and I 2nd drawing a line with a possum.

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk
I refuse to eat a rat on steroids!!!

John Koenig:

Howie g

dzsmith

The fur market is pretty much extinct.  especially for southern fur bearing animals . I used to sell to market ,but trapping is a hobby and second job of its own. I used to sell the meat as well, to some natives that prefer it , but that ship has sailed as well. It took weeks of my time to run trap lines , reset, skin animals , clean the carcasses. It was a pile of work.... And in the end just a few coins for your time. So that aspect of trapping is valueless in todays world . Coon ain't bad to eat when prepared right , but I'm not putting 40 coons in my freezer to eat. It's already full of deer meat, and other stuff . So what robbers get killed by me , get thrown out unless I happen to kill one I want to skin to keep the hide for myself . But, I just don't have the time anymore . If you set traps you are legally obligated to check them, and timely.... And I don't work a job conducive to do that effeciently, and if you can't do it effeciently and effectively what have you gained ... and no trapping a coon is not like conservation groups preach where every penny counts, that ain't how it works.I used to run traps hard for about 14 days every February. The saddest part of this comment is guess what "it won't save your turkeys"......
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

eggshell

I know it seems wrong to just leave them in the woods for scavengers to eat, but that is exactly what will happen to them if you don't kill them. It is a natural process and not one we should guilt ourselves over. As stewards of the land we manage what we take, that is our responsibility. Our society has mismanaged the resources and thus we have a surplus that is detrimental to the balance of the ecosystem. I am a Christian man and follow my conscience as strictly as I can. Even Biblically we are told what we can take and the shepherds killed predators. The Bible tells of King David's ability to kill predators. It is when uneducated misguided virtue signalling sociopaths insert their ill-informed conscience into something they have no  understanding of that causes a greater crisis. Once they have crashed the plane they go off all puffed up and proud of the wreckage. They claim they stopped terrorist from flying on the plane, but they ignore all the innocent people they harmed. while the wreckage burns, they go on with their life to another self-glorifying crusade having never done one single thing for the actual resource. For the most part they never spend a dime to manage, they are are not stewards they are wreckers and tools of the devil. One other thing, I have never met an anti that professed a belief in God, they think they are God. Sad thing is these people have gained a large voice in the US, Washington is full of them

OK I am done ranting, but I don't apologize. As an old trapper and fur auction grader they put out out of business I do harbor some resentment, but I hate more what it done to nature. Throw those carcasses in the woods and let the ecosystem work as it was designed.

jhoward11

I'm with GosserBat, to the ditch!

Haypatch

Unfortunately they get left for the buzzards!

runngun

Eggshell, VERY WELL DONE!!! WISE WORDS!!! AND I THANK YOU FOR THIS.

Have a good one and May God bless, Bo

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Bedge7767

I clean them the same way I do wild hogs. Leave them there.
Jim

Crghss

Was a time I never killed something and let it go to waste. But these are different times.

Python, pigs, coyotes and lionfish are destroying the balance of nature. We need to kill them off to give native species a fighting chance. Let 'em lay where I shoot them. I include raccoon's & possum in this. 

Don't even want think about what we'll be killing off in 20 years.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...