OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you do with them?

Started by Turkeytaker203, January 31, 2023, 06:55:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeytaker203

I would really like to start reducing the number of turkey nest robbers on my farm. I found evidence last season of a nest that had been destroyed and it was quite a let down. I would enjoy trying to catch some of the little buggers but my question is what do I do with them. I have no knowledge about prepping a hide to sell and I don't really want to deal with that. I killed a raccoon this fall with my bow and the arrow made a real mess on both side of the hide. I donated it to the local coyotes and moved on. But what do you guys who are also trying to reduce your nest bandits do with them.

sswv

"buzzards gotta eat same as worms"

deathfoot

Quote from: sswv on January 31, 2023, 06:57:39 PM
"buzzards gotta eat same as worms"

"I've seen him do some things".

The Outlaw Josey Wales. Love it.

Gooserbat

As ugly as it sounds, throw them in a ditch for the buzzards, or learn to bbq coon.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

3bailey3

pile them up for the Yotes and set up right there and kill the Yotes, then let the buzzards and worms eat!

Sir-diealot

You find the right furriers* and you can sell the hides untanned. Just make sure they have not been around long or have been in a freezer or they get mighty rank quick. Or go to your local gun or fur convention and find somebody to take them from you in the future. I hate to see them wasted.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Coons, possums and skunks are insulated ditch liners.

Coyotes and foxes, I'll have tanned for a neat wall hanging in the garage.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Greg Massey

WV Flopper

My opinion:

If you feel you should process the coon/possum/skunk or give him away get in touch with your state Trappers association for advice. That advice could bring you to work shops. point you towards a local to you trapper, or turn you on to a new great sport. It is good you feel you should do something with this critters life. I commend that.

Today, I think the most profitable thing to do with fur would be to sell at local or regional Craft/Hippy/Redneck fairs. "No Offense meant to any" I call them as I see them. If you learn to process and tan the fur yourself you will find the most profit here. If you decide to finish/process a "Nest robber" fur and ship it to NAFA or sell to Greenwald you will burn more money in gas than you profit.

Regardless of profit, Its a great hobby if you have time to do it and enjoy it. I enjoy trapping and need to get back into it and stop making excuses.

Notsoyoungturk

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 31, 2023, 07:21:54 PM
pile them up for the Yotes and set up right there and kill the Yotes, then let the buzzards and worms eat!

X2
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

runngun

I have a friend, who's Black, and he will take every raccoon that I can put my hands on. Especially this time of year. Superbowl parties. I eat them as well and I like them!!When my son was in high-school him and a buddy trapped a pile of coons. Sold for $20 a piece, 20 of them. This one fellow bought every one of them. 

Have a good one and May God bless y'all
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Guskie

Quote from: WV Flopper on January 31, 2023, 08:32:59 PM
If you decide to finish/process a "Nest robber" fur and ship it to NAFA or sell to Greenwald you will burn more money in gas than you profit.

NAFA dissolved a couple years ago, just an FYI. Beaver caster and skunk essence is about the only game in the trapping. Northern  plains coyotes were high $ until Canada Goose cut wild caught sustainable harvest fur and   went "green" to use a petroleum faux fur

Paulmyr

I've eaten them smoked before. Tasted just like ham. The old trapper who was showing a buddy and me the ropes had a bunch done up for a DU wild game feed. Came into the fur shack one day and said I need some coon for eating. Showed him the fresh ones and he grabbed about 6 of them. Smoked em up. Let me sample them before the feed
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 31, 2023, 08:23:33 PM
Coons, possums and skunks are insulated ditch liners.

Coyotes and foxes, I'll have tanned for a neat wall hanging in the garage.
They (Coon) do not bring what they used to, but if you know how to tan and sew then you can still make a lot of money selling tourists coon skin caps and so on. Even if you send them out and have them done there is money to be made if you are in the right area. If my hands were good it is what I would do myself.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

runngun

Raccoons have a gland in their legs that must be removed. I boil them with seasoning, onions, bell pepper and garlic. Once tender, I put them on a pan with sweet potatoes and bake until Taters are done.  Or when they are boiled with crab boil, then put on barbecue grill!!! Only thing I ain't eating is a possum.  Draw the line there.

Have a good one,
Bo

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.