OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Your most used call

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 31, 2023, 12:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

zelmo1

Calling for myself, locating is 60% box/ 20% pot/ 20% mouth call. Working a bird is 75% pot and 25% mouth, finishing is 100% mouth. Calling for others is different as I can use both hands and stay concealed while doing so and not worry about the shot. Same for locating and working, finishing I will use a pot 60% and a mouth call 40%. I personally have good success purring on my pot and then shutting up, lol. Z                     

TJR

Quote from: Flatbottomarky on February 01, 2023, 04:07:44 AM
Mouth call almost exclusively. Have killed a few wit other calls, I do use a glass call to locate later in the day quite a bit. Question for everyone who carries a box, how do you keep it silent while carrying it, holster, rubber bands, or one of the specific silencers. I've never been able to carry one much without it making noise.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Holster works great for me. Never had a problem with it. And I crawl through some nasty stuff. The mt. laurel around here will grab anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M,Yingling

Tube call will normally get them fired up the finish with pot call
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Bolandstrutters

The last 6 years or so I've killed probably 20 birds with a Halloran Twisted Sister.  That call gets them flat out fired up.  That or an Outlaw Hen green slate is about all I use.  Sometimes need to close the distance with a mouth yelper, but rarely.

wchadw

About half Cody wc slate and half buice trumpets mixed with a soft talker for purrs

Tom007

Shannon Snakewood....everyday......
"Solo hunter"

Gobbler428

60% trumpet and 40% box, I usually carry a long box, a hen box and sometimes switch out to a fiddle box. Always carry two trumpets, never know which one he's going to like.

GobbleNut

I generally turkey hunt in the neighborhood of 20-30 days each spring.  I pretty sure I could count the number of times I use anything other than a mouth call on the fingers on one hand.  Now, I know I SHOULD probably use something else once in a while and would probably, on occasion, get better results, but I suppose I am just too set in my ways (or maybe it's just laziness) to try other calls.  :D

HillclimberWV

If i have a bird roosted almost always use pot call unless its raining then i use a wingbone. If I'm locating it could be pot box or wingbone i try em all. Whatever the bird responds to i try to finish with. I'm not comfortable enough with a mouth call and I'm sure it has cost me some shots up close where the bird was just out of range and i couldnt move to call.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

roberthyman14

Locating i use an owl hoot, crow call, or piliated  woodpecker.  If none of those work then its a tube call, wing bone or a box.  Gotta try a little of each. But once located its almost always a mouth call since I'm not hunting from a blind and want 0 movement.  If I'm blind calling mid morning I do have a purr pot I use.  I can't purr on a mouth call good enough yet. 

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Nastygunz

I use all kinds of different calls, that's part of the fun. Most of the time I use my Primos box cutter. I like it so much I bought an extra one to keep in reserve.

bbcoach

Quote from: TJR on February 01, 2023, 06:38:05 AM
Quote from: Flatbottomarky on February 01, 2023, 04:07:44 AM
Mouth call almost exclusively. Have killed a few wit other calls, I do use a glass call to locate later in the day quite a bit. Question for everyone who carries a box, how do you keep it silent while carrying it, holster, rubber bands, or one of the specific silencers. I've never been able to carry one much without it making noise.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk
Holster works great for me. Never had a problem with it. And I crawl through some nasty stuff. The mt. laurel around here will grab anything.

Primos lock jaw     https://www.amazon.com/Primos-Hunting-66907-Lock-Call/dp/B0075D2S2S

Sir-diealot

Since I started making kits I find myself using those more often on "Made it Mondays". I also do Tulipwood Tuesdays so those all come out on Wednesdays of course. Of the "Professionally" made calls I use most it would be the Fiddle Paddle/Boxes from Marlin Watkins that I use the most.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

bbcoach

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on February 01, 2023, 12:48:56 AM
Whatever the birds want to hear that particular day
This.  With this being said, I carry 4 different pots, a box and several mouth calls and all will get their time afield on any given day.  The call that has brought in and killed the most birds is the grey slate, hands down.  Normally grey slate with a mouth call to finish.

the Ward

Hooks tube call on windy, sometimes rainy days. Slate K&H on calm dry still days/ close in. Box call
made from kit for deep woods/all around. Been fooling around learning how to call with my home-made
wingbone, looking forward to giving it a try this year.