turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your most used call

Started by ScottTaulbee, January 31, 2023, 12:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ScottTaulbee

I was thinking about the calls I carry on a given hunt, which, generally, is a couple pots, a box call, 3 or 4 strikers, diaphragm calls and for the past 3 or 4 years, a trumpet. Over the past 21 seasons of carrying all of this, I realized that I've called and killed 7 turkeys with pot calls, 1 with a box call, and all the rest with the diaphragm calls. That could be because I have the most confidence in diaphragm calls and to me, with a friction call, the sound is built in, whereas with a diaphragm call, it's all in the user and I have always taken great pride in calling them up with a diaphragm. Or it could be because I always have a diaphragm call in my mouth and it's less of a hassle than digging out the others. Any who, I'm curious to see what y'all typically carry and what style you seem to favor over others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BDeal

About 95% with a pot. The other 5% with a box

roosterstraw

I get the most use out of a diaphragm call. I usually try my other calls first but if they're not cutting it I fall back to ole faithful.

Tail Feathers

It varies.  Most of my birds came to a mouth call.  The last couple of years most fell to a pot call.  This year a box sounds good to my ear.  I will be starting out with a box this year I think.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

richard black

I use a trumpet 90% of the time  followed by a scratch box. I carry two trumpets and 1 scratch box.

g8rvet

90% pot call, although most are finished with a mouth call (if needed). 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

jhoward11

Slate of some sort and mouth call

deathfoot

90% of mine have fell victim to the box call. The other 10% to pots.

Greg Massey

Just a variety of different calls.  2 pot calls that have a lot of sentinel attachments is my first slate call - Lohman Thunder dome and my first ceramic pot call from Jim Shelley in a cherry pot.... another call i carry on all my hunts is the first crow call I bought, a black plastic one from Knight Hale - Cadiz Ky ... to this day it sounds more like a crow than any others I've heard.  I still use them all in my bag of tricks

guesswho

Give me a cane call and a mouth diaphragm and I'm set. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Yoder409

I put a diaphragm in at the truck in the dark.  It doesn't come out until a tag is punched or I'm back at the truck to go home.

So 90% + diaphragm.  The other 10% weighted heavily toward a box.  Might go for days and not pull out my pot call.  This is TYPICALLY.  Once in a long while, I'll get a wild hair and switch it up.  But not typically.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Muzzy61

Mostly a pot call to call to call them close and a mouth call to finish them off.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

springtime_overland

Working a bird, I'll warm him up with the trumpet and finish him off with a diaphragm..

Locating a bird, it's 50% trumpet, 25% pot, 25% diaphragm..

A trumpet does something to a gobbler that I've never been able to replicate with another call..

northms

95% mouth call and 5% doubled-sided pot call. Glass on one side and slate on the other. I usually carry a couple of mouth calls and one pot call. Travel light 

ol bob

My green delrin Adj. trumpet.