turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the closest gobble you've had?

Started by Tail Feathers, January 31, 2023, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

The closest shot thread made me think of this.  What is the closest a gobbler has been to you when he gobbled?

Two years ago on a Rio hunt in N. Texas I had one come up from the side and gobble about six feet from me.  That is quite a thrill!
I was hunting with a friend, he was already tagged out.  He set up one of those low ground blinds and some decoys up against a fence and I was in the blind and he was behind it, kinda hidden by a cedar.  I was facing down the fenceline. The gobbler responded from a long way off to the left, across the fence line.  He came on a string, gobbling a few times along the way. When he got to the fence exactly next to the blind, he gobbled.  I think he got some spit on the blind.   :D I took him when he spotted the decoys and bee-lined to them. 

What's your closest gobble?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

GobbleNut

Never measured, but I know they were close enough that I thought that thunderous, penetrating gobble they have at that range was going to make me explode!  A gobble at that range just feels like a sonic boom penetrating your body!  ...Hard to explain it unless you have been there,...which I am sure many here have...   :D

Greg Massey

Close enough that i could almost smell his breath ....

kloppy

My closest was back when I was a novice. Sat down to take a break, hadnt made any calls and wasnt paying attention. He hammered at 16 yards on his own behind a big oak. Glad no one was around to see how bad I flinched! I pay better attention now lol

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

richard black

9 yards. Came from behind gobbling then spitting and drumming. Exciting when they blow your hat right off you.

g8rvet

About 5 steps (2 birds).  Thundering.  They had circled back behind me and did a full circle.  I was facing north and they came around to my east.  My gun was up (facing north) and I could see them in my peripheral vision-not even daring to blink.  They were walking right to the gun barrel.  They were gobbling to each other, piliated woodpeckers, the prison siren, etc.  As they stepped into view where I could look at them a little more head on, I realized it was two stinking jakes.  Little turds.  They stayed around me for 30 minutes and I would fire them up again when they started to cool off.  They walked away through the woods, still gobbling.  Dang teenage hormones! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

jhoward11

Sitting in a homemade blind scouting a week before opening morning with father. 10ft from blind he was opening up, strutting, drumming and i could swear I felt him spit on me lol. Never forget that, especially with pops being there.

Duckdogdad

Forty years ago hunting in Oklahoma...sat down on a big sycamore tree...had one gobble out front...called a few times...nothing. Decided I  would go silent and see if he would come looking. Never heard the bird... no idea how close he was, but he was directly behind me close enough to hear him suck in air then emit a thunderous gobble. Never experienced anything like it before or since. Took a few minutes to regain normal breathing.

deathfoot

I've heard a lot of close gobbles but the closest one...I was sitting in a WMA in California doing some blind calling. And out of nowhere one gobbled directly behind where I was sitting. Couldn't have been more than 10 yards. I have no doubt that the flinch me and my friend made scared him probably as much as he surprised us. We never saw the bird but man, that was something.

Sir-diealot

Directly above my head in a tree. I think I got a little to close.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

"Solo hunter"

Nathan_Wiles

Straight above my head on tree limb. Dang limb hopping swamp turkey. Bounced from tree to tree til he got where he could see good.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Jbird22

He was behind me but I'd guess 5 yds or less.

Kylongspur88

This past youth season I took my buddies daughter. We got up with 2 mid morning. I put her on the side of the tree with the decoys and where i thought she'd get the clearest shot. It was her first time turkey hunting but she'd practiced with my 20 ga so I was confident she'd kill if given a good opportunity. I worked the birds in and just like big woods easterns do they circled. I was on the back side of the tree and as the birds circled they walked within about 7 maybe 8 steps spitting and drumming and gobbling their heads off. You could feel it that close. The kid held it together and the birds circled to the field edge and as soon as the lead bird saw the half strut jake he took off running at it. He spurred the jake decoy and my buddy's daughter pole axed him at 20 yards. 26 pounds and change 1.25 inch spurs 11 inch beard. Probably the best hunt I've been on in years. Ive had them clucking and purring so close I could spit on them but gobbling that close is awesome