turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is the closest gobble you've had?

Started by Tail Feathers, January 31, 2023, 10:53:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chad Gus715

Directly above my head a number of times, but on the ground, probably around 3 or 4 yards.

mcw3734

Six feet. Just off my right shoulder and on the wrong side of the young spruce tree I was buried in. He walked away, but still one of the coolest moments of any hunt.

Whether you make a kill or not, any time you're close enough to 'feel' them gobble is a major win and a wonderful memory you'll always have.

mcw3734

Quote from: Sir-diealot on January 31, 2023, 06:34:17 PM
Directly above my head in a tree. I think I got a little to close.

Ya think?    :TooFunny:

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

paboxcall

Quote from: Jbird22 on January 31, 2023, 07:21:12 PM
He was behind me but I'd guess 5 yds or less.

Same here. Listened to him spit/drum/strut for 10 minutes just over the bench till he went quiet. He tiptoed around the point behind me, and no idea he was there, until he gobbled at 5 or so steps.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Flatbottomarky

Had 2 slip up on me , hadn't heard a gobble there yet and both gobbled inside 10 yards behind me and about blew my hat off. And didn't even get a shot. Over 30 years ago, remember it like yesterday.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Youth weekend in a blind with my daughter, less than 2 yards. If we didnt know they were there, I would have had a heart attack. On the roost was about 20 yards, we knew where he roosted but he bumped over our way during the night. First gobble was eye opening. Z

Neill_Prater

A similar experience to that of duckdogdad, except mine was an oak tree and I had no clue the gobbler was there.

I still remember it to this day. I was sitting against a large oak blind calling mid morning. A doe came meandering up the hillside on a path that would cause her to pass me maybe 25 yards on the downwind side.

When she got directly in front of me, she stopped broadside, turned her head towards me and bird dogged me. This went on for maybe 30 seconds or more and the whole time I was puzzled as to how she could possibly have seen me? I was in full camo, the woods were greened up with lots of ground cover and I hadn't moved a muscle.

Next thing I knew, a gobbler cut loose behind me right next to the tree! I'd like to say it didn't scare me, but that would be a lie. I absolutely jumped enough so that my butt lifted completely off the ground!

Never saw, or heard him again. One of my favorite memories from the early days.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Turkeyman

Inside six feet off the end of my barrel. Hen came walking by looking for me at about five yards...he was following behind. Didn't dare move because I could no longer see the hen and what she was doing. Slowly got the gun up and made a call after a bit taking a chance they could no longer see me.  She came walking back and passed me at several feet. He was following closely behind to his demise. Looked like his neck got slammed in a car door.

mlee3553

mine would be just a couple feet, my second year hunting, sitting against a big ol oak, he gobble right behind me then walked within a couple feet of me on my left we were eye to eye, he knew something wasn't right and did a 180, I was able to spin around the tree and shoot him tied for my longest spurs to date at 1.5, he never gobbled on the roost it was my first time hearing spit and drum, couldn't figure out what it was but could hear it and wings dragging, then he let out the gobble and I couldn't stop shaking. Over 20 years ago now and I remember every second of it.
In wildness is preservation of the world so seek the wolf in thyself

Big Jeremy

8-10 yards. He hadn't gobbled for about 15 minutes and last gobble he was probably 125-150 yards away slightly to the left of straight ahead. He eventually snuck in from my right a little and I couldn't turn because of some brush it would have moved. He gobbled, I flinched, he flew.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RH1

5 yrds..was wearing Walker game muffs single mics (long time ago)
Had him gobbling mad! I'd cut on a scratchbox he'd gobble. If he gobbled once he gobbled 30 times in 30 minutes. Sitting against a huge pinetree looking down a decline into a thick bottom. He was so close and so loud I could not figure out why I couldn't find him. Pretty open for 30 yrds. All of a sudden it sounded like an apache copter taking flight right next to me to the left. Never swung the bead his way. Just sat there and laughed. The entire time he was behind me....curiosity finally got the best of him and he came around to my side of the tree, came across a wide open field to get to me. That's when I realized any direction I'd look, that's where the sound came from! Wearing medical aids now...been a game changer for me.
Red Hills Turkey Calls

dzsmith

"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

TrackeySauresRex

Less the 10 yards. One snuck right behind me once and let one rip, I didn't know he was there. He just about blew my hat off, scared the bejessus outta me!  :TooFunny:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

donjuan

My father in law was calling 10 feet behind my wife and me and 2 two year olds came in between us and gobbled like crazy.  No shot!
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room