OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Collectors vs Hunters

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 28, 2023, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 28, 2023, 10:34:08 PM
I am a gather,  David great pic, what brand gun is that?
It's a 1927 nickel steel Winchester Model 12 in 20ga and it hucks FoxTrot with the very best of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EZ

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 29, 2023, 05:44:13 AM
I need to get a sign for the door out to the garage:

"Turkey calls get played and bourbon gets drank".    :happy0064:

That would be the perfect sign for you for sure!!!  ;D

This is a great thread and very interesting. Seems that no matter what "type" you are, everyone enjoys collecting memories!!!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: EZ on January 29, 2023, 08:20:55 AM
This is a great thread and very interesting. Seems that no matter what "type" you are, everyone enjoys collecting memories!!!
If you added up the number of calls you got at your house, Tony, I'd say it constitutes a collection.

tal

EZ is a hoarder. I'm trying to take a few off his hands just to be helpful.

Tom007

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 29, 2023, 08:11:26 AM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on January 28, 2023, 10:34:08 PM
I am a gather,  David great pic, what brand gun is that?
It's a 1927 nickel steel Winchester Model 12 in 20ga and it hucks FoxTrot with the very best of them.

Great pattern there...

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: tal on January 29, 2023, 08:28:50 AM
He sent me a pic of a box set of scratch boxes he acquired recently that I'd gladly take.

Yoder409

Quote from: EZ on January 29, 2023, 08:20:55 AM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 29, 2023, 05:44:13 AM
I need to get a sign for the door out to the garage:

"Turkey calls get played and bourbon gets drank".    :happy0064:

That would be the perfect sign for you for sure!!!  ;D

It could happen...........   :toothy9:

Quote from: EZSeems that no matter what "type" you are, everyone enjoys collecting memories!!!

VERY well stated !!!    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Yoder409

Quote from: tal on January 29, 2023, 08:28:50 AM

Only a TRUE FRIEND would make such a yeoman effort to help a brother out !!! :you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

tal

That's me, always helping others...  :TooFunny:  Make your 2024 reservation yet Yoder?

Yoder409

Quote from: tal on January 29, 2023, 12:26:34 PM
That's me, always helping others...  :TooFunny: 

You're a PAL !!!    :icon_thumright:

You should change your username.    :TooFunny:
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

EZ gets a pass. Anybody who crafts a yelper to his level can hoard all the calls and whiskey he wants, lol! And seriously, if you've talked to him or met him you know he's the least pretentious guy around.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 29, 2023, 01:02:20 PM
EZ gets a pass. Anybody who crafts a yelper to his level can hoard all the calls and whiskey he wants, lol! And seriously, if you've talked to him or met him you know he's the least pretentious guy around.

I can vouch for this statement.    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

sixbird

I have somewhat of a collection from callmakers who are friends of mine and I don't feel in the least bit guilty buying as many as I can/want. These guys are my friends and it makes me happy to support them.
As far as hunting them, I hunt as many as I can. If I kill one or two with a call, I put it back in the rotation. I buy them to hunt them.
If I send these guys a picture or call them with a success story, they're happy about my good fortune and that THEIR call was a big part of the success.
Everybody does all of this for their own reasons. We should all be grateful there IS this community. It makes it possible for all of us to feed our passion, whatever it is...

Zobo

Quote from: Vintage on January 28, 2023, 10:42:23 PM
I don't understand collecting Turkey calls or Bourbon. Turkey calls are made to hunt with and Bourbon is  made to Drink.

Yes, this reminds me of when wine guru Robert Parker was invited to a wine collectors cellar years ago. What he found were hundreds of cases of the world greatest wines from the highest most acclaimed vineyards and Chateaus. World class vintages were represented maybe thousands of bottles worth millions perhaps. The problem was Parker soon realized that a large portion of the collection, most in-fact, were expired, well past prime drinking stage. A sad complete waste of so much human effort, all to appease the appetite of one wasteful man because he needed more.  And even though he drank a few bottles each month here and there, the lions share of the collection was a complete waste. But obviously calls are very different than wine... it's just interesting to think about, that desire to collect to a point of hoarding.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Greg Massey

Sometimes i think others are jealous of the ones who own several calls. I didn't ask anyone to put extra money in my bank account to buy my calls. So again enjoy your calls whether you have 3 or 500 hundred.  If you don't have a call you can't play and hunt the call nor can you support the call builders you have become friends with and share great fellowship ... IMO ....