News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Collectors vs Hunters

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 28, 2023, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

crow

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2023, 02:39:51 PM
Sometimes i think others are jealous of the ones who own several calls. I didn't ask anyone to put extra money in my bank account to buy my calls. So again enjoy your calls whether you have 3 or 500 hundred.  If you don't have a call you can't play and hunt the call nor can you support the call builders you have become friends with and share great fellowship ... IMO ....

:icon_thumright:

Tail Feathers

If you turkey hunt seriously, you wind up with calls.  If you go way out of your way to buy calls from custom call makers and wind up with a whole bunch, you may be an accidental collector.  I think few of us start out to be serious collectors, we get into turkey hunting and one thing leads to another.  Me?  I'm no collector, I just have a habit of accumulating calls while looking for that perfect one.   ;D
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 29, 2023, 02:39:51 PM
Sometimes i think others are jealous of the ones who own several calls. I didn't ask anyone to put extra money in my bank account to buy my calls. So again enjoy your calls whether you have 3 or 500 hundred.  If you don't have a call you can't play and hunt the call nor can you support the call builders you have become friends with and share great fellowship ... IMO ....

You beat me to it Greg. Well said buddy!
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Sir-diealot

I try to hunt all my calls, I have gotten enough that it is hard to hunt them all in the 30 days my state allows in the Spring and the few weeks in the Fall though. I had never heard of a custom call before I got to this site but I have fallen in love with them. Most of you know I lost hunting for 17 years because of a car accident, maybe that is why I fell so hard or part of it anyhow.

I do know that all the different woods remind me of my father who always collected antique furniture, he was electrocuted to death on a construction job when I was 16 and we never got to really share the common things we enjoyed. I don't thin I was old enough or mature enough at that time to anyway if I am honest. I think that is a main reason. I can't afford the furniture like he had but I can many of these calls and I love all the different woods and their grains or patterns that remind me of some of the furniture he had. I also enjoy the way they sound and the wonderful people I have met since I got here and turkey call shows I have gone to.

Nobody in my family hunts at all so when I die they will likely all be sold off. I think I will ask to be buried with my Fiddle Paddle I got from Marlin "Don" Watkins at the 2019 NE Call Makers Summit @ Turkey Trot Acres, it's Alaska Yellow Cedar over Service Berry and is my favorite call to date and my first high end call.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Yoder409

Quote from: Tail Feathers on January 29, 2023, 04:45:27 PM
.........you may be an accidental collector.

I like this !!!!

I may have to re-think my self-proclaimed "accumulator" title in favor of becoming an "accidental collector".

:you_rock:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Happy

I really don't care what other people do with their money. Personally, I am a hunter and not a collector. I do have more calls than I use just cause I am impulsive at times, but I bought every call I have with the intention to hunt it. Once in a great while, I even manage to kill a turkey, and after 20 years or so, i have a few calls that have killed two or three turkeys. I typically carry those calls now. In all my time of turkey hunting, I have never lost a round with a gobbler and thought " that some#%*# would be dead if I had brought such and such call."

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Happy on January 29, 2023, 07:28:33 PM
I really don't care what other people do with their money. Personally, I am a hunter and not a collector. I do have more calls than I use just cause I am impulsive at times, but I bought every call I have with the intention to hunt it. Once in a great while, I even manage to kill a turkey, and after 20 years or so, i have a few calls that have killed two or three turkeys. I typically carry those calls now. In all my time of turkey hunting, I have never lost a round with a gobbler and thought " that some#%*# would be dead if I had brought such and such call."

This response is perfect.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Ranger

Just as it isn't wise for a collector to assume the fewer calls owned by a hunter aren't that collectible and/or valuable, its also not wise for a hunter to assume that just because a man has more and more collectible calls that he also doesn't have more breast meat in the freezer.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Zobo

Hi, I'm Zobo and I identify as an accumulator-hunter with a desire to collect, but lacking the organizational skills, patience and discipline to narrow down. :funnyturkey:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

West Augusta

I collect calls from friends that make calls.  If I know you and you make calls, I'll have one. 

I have LOT'S of friends that make turkey calls.   :TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Notsoyoungturk

Turkey hunting is like a lot of things in life.  There is an evolution of the hunter.  The brand new hunter just wants to kill a turkey.  He/she does not care who calls it.  They want to hear it, see it and experience it. 

Next, they want to call and kill their own turkey.  They may not be particular about the call, they just want to know that they were able to master a call or calls to the point that they could fool a big Tom. 

Eventually, the hunter develops a favorite call or calls.  Some like trumpets, some like boxes, others like pots, and others like them all.  They want to hunt the way they like to hunt with the calls they like to use.  Part of the celebration of the sport is buying new calls and getting to use them in the field.  Eventually, you have your "collection/accumulation".  It's not different with guns.  How many people on this forum just have one shotgun?  Not me!

For me, it's checkered box calls.  I love the artistry behind them.  I wish I had the time, patience and talent to make them.  I have more than I need but I continue to buy them and use them.  I have never sold one and everyone brings me joy. 

My name is Notsoyoungturk.  I am a box call addict and I have no intention of treating this addiction.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Yoder409

Quote from: Notsoyoungturk on January 29, 2023, 09:59:13 PM
I am a box call addict and I have no intention of treating this addiction.

Here, here !!!     :happy0167:

And, so a support group was born !!!

Box Calls Anonymous

:help:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

zelmo1

I dont drink, I dont smoke, I love my wife and family and try to be a good human. I am infected with the love of everything turkey hunting. My calls being a great passion. Killing the first bird with one of your own calls is a high that I recommend. Seeing pics of birds taken with them is as good. Using one to call a bird for a loved one ore friend is priceless. I am a call junkie and all that entails. I will never need another turkey call ever, will I buy more?, HECK YEAH. I am only human and enjoy it so I will keep doing it. God Bless all you other call makers for caring enough to hone your craft. God Bless Y'all. Z

Yoder409

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 31, 2023, 08:55:53 AMI will never need another turkey call ever.........

The word "need" has no place in these discussions.   :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: zelmo1 on January 31, 2023, 08:55:53 AM
I dont drink, I dont smoke, I love my wife and family and try to be a good human. I am infected with the love of everything turkey hunting. My calls being a great passion. Killing the first bird with one of your own calls is a high that I recommend. Seeing pics of birds taken with them is as good. Using one to call a bird for a loved one ore friend is priceless. I am a call junkie and all that entails. I will never need another turkey call ever, will I buy more?, HECK YEAH. I am only human and enjoy it so I will keep doing it. God Bless all you other call makers for caring enough to hone your craft. God Bless Y'all. Z
Right on, I've got a lot of custom calls from a variety of makers, I make my own, and I have given calls away to friends and family as gifts and have had them all kill turkeys with them, as well as myself. But I guarantee I'll buy a handful more every year from other makers because I love them and everything to do with them. To tell you the truth, without the calls, I wouldn't turkey hunt. I absolutely will not deer hunt them. I wouldn't consider myself a call collector, every call I have has and will be hunted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk