turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Collectors vs Hunters

Started by ChesterCopperpot, January 28, 2023, 09:00:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I was reading through responses on a post I commented on recently and it got me thinking about something that comes up here again and again. It seems to be that most on this forum differentiate call collectors from hunters, and the belief seems to be that collectors, 1) are in the business of acquiring calls with the intent of turning a profit, and, 2) do not hunt the calls they purchase.

I'll start by stating very clearly that I collect calls. My reasons are simple and the biggest is that I'm so obsessed with these birds and hunting these birds and the history of hunting these birds that it would be an absolute travesty to limit that passion to a regulated season. Calls give me a way to celebrate that passion every single day of the year. As far as money, lots of calls I collect have risen in value but I have no intent in selling them and that was not in the reasoning when I purchased them. Odds are I'll die with them. My collection is more driven by specific visions like having Ralph Permar build me a set showcasing the evolution of the yelper, or grabbing everything I can from the handful of other callers I've come to love and admire. I collect about three callmakers. I've got piles of other calls but I collect three.

THIS IS THE BIG THING, THOUGH, it's this idea that collectors are somehow less than because they don't hunt their calls. Maybe some don't. I don't know any of those folks, but maybe some don't. As for me, I hunt all my calls. Most those calls will inevitably get a kill or two. I hunt hell out of them. You come hunt with me you can grab any one you want and hunt it. That's what they're there for. Don't know where exactly I'm going with this post other than to say, you can collect calls and still be a hunter. You can collect calls and kill hell out of birds with that collection.

The lines in the sand are thin at best. We're all here and all doing this because we're absolutely obsessed with these birds.

Here's a 1927 nickel steel Model 12 20ga I hunted last year with a 1917 yelper Ralph made me. I didn't kill that day, but man was it fun toting those two through the woods.

Yoder409

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on January 28, 2023, 09:00:10 PM

I'll start by stating very clearly that I collect calls. My reasons are simple and the biggest is that I'm so obsessed with these birds and hunting these birds and the history of hunting these birds that it would be an absolute travesty to limit that passion to a regulated season. Calls give me a way to celebrate that passion every single day of the year.

This is me to a T !!!!

Although, I still refer to myself as an "accumulator" rather than a "collector"............your description of what drives you is EXACTLY what drives ME.

For a lotta years, I never hunted my high-end calls.  #1.  The call I had been killing with for decades wasn't broke.  And #2. I was losing, breaking or otherwise screwing up a call that may have cost me close to a week's wages.  A while back, I re-did my philosophy on that and there's VERY FEW calls in my accumulation that are strictly grounded to the house. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

packmule

Chester, ;D
Great photo!

Yoder,
Accumulator  :TooFunny:

Cowboy

Great photo and equally great post!

Sent from my SM-G990U2 using Tapatalk

Zobo

I'm an accumulator/hunter too but a collector/hunter is a distinction with very little difference. The key is the hunter part. A collector is more organized and has a purpose, an accumulator loves different calls, buys some here and there, and after hunting for quite a few years turns around and says, "good God I've got a large amount of calls on my bookshelf." Call it a collection or an accumulation if you will. A collection is just an accumulation that's got it's act together. 
   For me turkey hunting is ALL about calling, so calls are the heart and soul of the activity. There is something irksome to me, however, about people who collect calls and don't hunt them; very wealthy people hoarding fine calls, more than they could ever hunt, they're plenty of them out there. There are people buying and accumulating LOTS of calls from a single maker. What's annoying about that is it makes It difficult or impossible for a regular guy to get a call from that maker. I'm pretty sure it bothers some of the call makers too. And, it closes lists.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on January 28, 2023, 10:04:53 PM
    A collection is just an accumulation that's got it's act together. 

I like it !!!!

:icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

troutfisher13111

I collect a specific type of call from a single maker, but I hunt each one. Not sure what that makes me. They all play and sound the same, so the only advantage is having backups to my backups

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

I am a gather,  David great pic, what brand gun is that?

Tom007

Great post Dave. I am a collector, but I do hunt most my calls. Great story, great photos....thx for sharing

Vintage

I don't understand collecting Turkey calls or Bourbon. Turkey calls are made to hunt with and Bourbon is  made to Drink.

GobbleGitr

The best callmakers I know are grateful for those who are supportive of them and willing to buy calls for treasured collections. And the best part of working to build a collection is making as many memories with those calls as possible

Greg Massey

The reason i do both is for my enjoyment with preserving history and sharing information with others who have the same passion. Without this passion I'm sure i wouldn't have gotten to meet a lot of people who have the same interest in acquiring the different style of calls and hunting these calls. I'm sure i wouldn't have had the opportunity to meet and become friends with some of the best call builders in the business that I call my friends. If YOU can't understand this passion of acquiring calls I suggest you make at least one trip to Unicoi Call Builders Show and take the time to see and meet some of the best call builders and others who share the same interest. Then i think you will have a better understanding between WHO you call a collector or a HUNTER. I enjoy sharing knowledge and gaining knowledge with others who enjoy both collecting and sharing memories and history of turkey calls and with them using that special call to kill a gobbler. In my opinion you never get too old to learn. I tell people every call starts out with a story from the time the first tree and board is cut and a call is finished and delivered from a call builder. So hunter / collector i really don't care what you call me. All i know is I BUY my calls for my enjoyment. Always remember if you don't have a call from a builder you don't have the opportunity to play that call regardless of the design. I enjoy playing my calls and improving on my rhythm. It's the excitement of enjoying your passion with hunting turkeys.

crow

Nice old model 12, Permar and pic.

I don't see a problem with either situation, buying what you need to hunt with or buying to have a nice collection of something a person gets enjoyment from for playing or just to look at.

I guess I fall into the category of hunter that chased sound and has accumulated some calls over time.

Some went down the road, some I have total confidence in to hunt with and they stayed.
I definitely have bought calls I didn't need but really liked their sound.

Yoder409

Quote from: Vintage on January 28, 2023, 10:42:23 PM
I don't understand collecting Turkey calls or Bourbon. Turkey calls are made to hunt with and Bourbon is  made to Drink.

I need to get a sign for the door out to the garage:

"Turkey calls get played and bourbon gets drank".    :happy0064:
PA elitist since 1979

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Vintage on January 28, 2023, 10:42:23 PM
You don't have to understand someone's desire to collect calls, but the entire point of this post is that many, maybe even most collections ARE GETTING HUNTED. Danny Ellis probably has the most valuable and important calls of any collection in the world and he's still sending those calls to the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk