turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Vest?

Started by Mo_turkey_hunter, January 18, 2023, 07:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mo_turkey_hunter

Thinking about getting a new turkey vest this year. What's the best vest on the market for the following:

The best budget vest

Best middle of the road

Favorite vest regardless of price it's what you should go with.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

I just purchased the Sitka Turkey Vest. I got a good price on EBay for it brand new with tags. I got the Optifade Timber color. I did some research before I bought it. Here's the things I like most about it:

Very light weight at 44 ounces
Fully adjustable, real nice shoulder straps
Water bladder comparable
Fantastic pocket lay-out, quality zippers, a hard pot call pocket provides protection with magnetic catch
Solid "Speed seat" type cushion. Does not flatten out. Don't be deceived by thickness, it's solid so far.
Extra long padded long box call pocket. Real nice for pushpins too
Diaphragm and striker pockets
Mesh inside pockets for head nets,  gloves etc.
Rear cargo pack with solid cushioned back support that is the best I've seen
Not bulky, more than a minimalist but not cumbersome while sitting

In summary, this vest seems to be the real thing. Of course, this years field test will tell the story. I will add review after its field trial. And oh yea, it has all of Sitka quality and craftsmanship. Good luck in your search...
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

I'm not a vest person at all, but if i was looking for one i would look HARD at the New improved NWTF Nomad Vest at the Mossy Oak Store with free shipping and 10 percent discount...

RMP

Will Primos Signature Turkey Vest.  I have 5 or 6 vests and have owned others.  Primos got everything right on this vest. 

Happy

It's extremely subjective in my opinion. My recommendation would be to research and try on as many as you can and then buy the one that comes closest to being what you want. Then, modify it to make it exactly what you want.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Wigsplitter

Check out grounded- I've had mine going on 3rd year - has worked great for me

Zobo

This
Quote from: Happy on January 18, 2023, 08:27:50 PM
It's extremely subjective in my opinion. My recommendation would be to research and try on as many as you can and then buy the one that comes closest to being what you want. Then, modify it to make it exactly what you want.

This is good advice. I bought an Ol' Tom several years ago, probably the first year they started making them and I've modified it a little bit every single year since. I'm just about starting to like it now.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

northms

Depends on your preferences like others have said. I don't like a big heavy vest and I don't carry much. I have an Ol Tom vest that's minimalist and lightweight. I like it a lot.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: Wigsplitter on January 18, 2023, 08:35:05 PM

This right here. Love this vest.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Wigsplitter on January 18, 2023, 08:35:05 PM
I watched a video review on Youtube of their Impact vest today.  It checks all the boxes for me. Two things weren't answered in the video, weight without the cushion and is the material soft and quiet?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Mossberg90MN

I really like the cabelas tactical tatr pro vest. But it has a slight slosh sound to it when walking. The new vests are more noisy then the originals, different material. But they don't break the bank either.

Gonna give a ol Tom vest a try this year and see how it goes. I always end up switching to my cabelas vest though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I'm in the vest market and I'm looking at the Grounded vest.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Parrot Head

Tom007

Quote from: Happy on January 18, 2023, 08:27:50 PM

X2 here, vests should fit your particular hunting style and what you carry afield. This is the best advice before you do buy one. Good luck...
"Solo hunter"

roosterstraw

Did grounded change their buckles? I know there were some complaints that the buckle got in the way when shouldering.