turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best Vest?

Started by Mo_turkey_hunter, January 18, 2023, 07:11:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RMP

The Will Primos Signature vest is a bit pricey.  But it is very well made.  Lots of pockets inside so you can separate all sorts of gear with out them being in the same pocket.  The seat is very thick and is held up with a long magnet that is very strong.  I've yet to knock it down going through brush.  The other thing I like is that on the shoulder straps there is a place to mount my Go Pro.

turkeygod4

I have 8 different vests and not a single one of them is perfect. A couple come close though. The cabelas Tactr, Nomads Killin' time, and Ol' Toms Time & Motion gunslinger are my favorites but each has their unique qurks. If I could take components from each vest I could create one super vest.

Greg Massey

I WILL tell you the best replacement for a Vest , is one of those double wheel - wheelbarrows from Lowe's or Home Depot. I have used vests over the years and i always ended up still carrying way too much stuff it felt like a backpack full of rocks ... so I decided there had to be something better and thank goodness i found Glenda Green and the satchel she makes and the tire inter-tube seat cushion for my old butt ... game changing in my books to replace that old bulky hot vest ... just throwing this out there for a vest alternative... Really i agree with others i don't think you will find the perfect VEST.... IMO....LOL....

Tom007

Quote from: Terry on January 19, 2023, 04:58:58 PM
Quote from: richard black on January 19, 2023, 09:23:18 AM
I have the Cabelas speed seat half vest. Super comfortable seat that moves up annd out of the way, annd  enough room in the pockets for what I need. If you're a minimalist or a bit more this is a great set-up. They were out of production for quite awhile but are available once again.
Does the seat really stay out of the way? I feel like it would've bouncing around a lot and uncomfortable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes Terry, it definitely stays out of your way, and sets up nice and quick to sit. That's why I got the Sika vest, same exact concept....be safe
"Solo hunter"

Tail Feathers

I made the decision some time back that I couldn't go vestless.  Hip packs and smaller options just don't work for me.  So many great vests these days to choose from but for this year I'm trying something different.  The turkey lounger with double shoulder straps for carrying and side bags for carrying calls, water and all the rest.  I'll let you know how it works out after my hunt in FL this March.
https://www.basspro.com/shop/en/cabelas-deluxe-hunting-lounger

If this doesn't work out, next spring I'll probably be sporting a revised edition Grounded.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Notsoyoungturk

I agree with Greg.  Tried a lot of vests and could not find that perfect fit.  Bought one of Glenda Green's minimalist satchels and never looked back.  It doesn't have a seat, like your vest, and that will be a deal breaker for some people.  I prefer my turkey chair and can live without a seat if I moving quickly.  Just dittoing an outside the box thought.
A hunt based on trophies taken falls far short of what the ultimate goal should be - Fred Bear

Zobo

Quote from: turkeygod4 on January 20, 2023, 09:16:33 AM
I have 8 different vests and not a single one of them is perfect. A couple come close though. The cabelas Tactr, Nomads Killin' time, and Ol' Toms Time & Motion gunslinger are my favorites but each has their unique qurks. If I could take components from each vest I could create one super vest.

You can, scissors, needle and thread. :you_rock:
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tom Threetoes

Quote from: Greg Massey on January 18, 2023, 07:44:12 PM
I'm not a vest person at all, but if i was looking for one i would look HARD at the New improved NWTF Nomad Vest at the Mossy Oak Store with free shipping and 10 percent discount...
Where did you find the discount? I went to their site and didn't see it.

Old Timer

The last 25 years I have been running Cabelas rubber tire vest and has not broke yet. But im up in the years and looking for something of quality and lighter. what I have noticed is most vest are designed for only one box call while you can carry 4 pot calls. I guess nothing is perfect. Two that have caught my eye are The Gunslinger and Tenzing TV18. Chime in about my possible selections.

bigdrumnc

I had a herters vest I used for years.  Last season I got a vest from Walmart, a mossy oak brand vest.  It has plenty of storage and compartments.  The seat is a little lacking but it works!

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom Threetoes on January 22, 2023, 09:36:12 AM
Quote from: Greg Massey on January 18, 2023, 07:44:12 PM
I'm not a vest person at all, but if i was looking for one i would look HARD at the New improved NWTF Nomad Vest at the Mossy Oak Store with free shipping and 10 percent discount...
Where did you find the discount? I went to their site and didn't see it.
It will pop up on your screen ,, it's one of those sign up and get 10 percent off ...

Tail Feathers

Quote from: bigdrumnc on January 22, 2023, 02:44:48 PM
I had a herters vest I used for years.  Last season I got a vest from Walmart, a mossy oak brand vest.  It has plenty of storage and compartments.  The seat is a little lacking but it works!
If you need a little extra cushion, look at the inflatable Klymit cushion.  Man that thing works good!  I use it with a stadium type seat, not sure how it would work with a regular vest cusion but at the price, it's worth a shot.  Also works great for bleachers and such at sporting events.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Klymit-V-Seat-Inflatable-Air-Cushion-14-5x13-5x1-5in-2-6oz-Gray/917055998?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=0&http://clickserve.dartsearch.net/link/click?lid=92700060762254883&ds_s_kwgid=58700006715445296&ds_s_inventory_feed_id=97700000003583668&ds_a_cid=654818135&ds_a_caid=13956209185&ds_a_agid=126452889113&ds_a_lid=pla-1392082700544&ds_a_cid=116919406&ds_a_caid=361575031&ds_a_agid=1200667322826314&ds_a_fiid=&ds_a_lid=pla-4578641339573147&&ds_e_adid=&ds_e_matchtype=search&ds_e_device=c&ds_e_network=o&ds_e_product_group_id=4578641339573147&ds_e_product_id=917055998_0&ds_e_product_merchant_id=27449&ds_e_product_country=US&ds_e_product_language=EN&ds_e_product_channel=Online&ds_e_product_store_id=&ds_url_v=2&ds_dest_url=?adid=2222222242031946843&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=e&wl1=o&wl2=c&wl3=&wl4=pla-4578641339573147&wl5=&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=%7baceid%7d&wl9=&wl10=27449&wl11=Online&wl12=917055998_0&wl13=&veh=sem_LIA&msclkid=fe888d3554c712264f76eef8c851cfaf&gclid=fe888d3554c712264f76eef8c851cfaf&gclsrc=3p.ds
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deathfoot

I've been using the same vest I bought 21 years ago. Mossy Oak NWTF vest. Has the right amount of pockets for me. But I'm a minimalist lol. 2short boxes, 2 slates, 1 striker a few locators. A Gatorade, my license, gloves and face mask. TP as well. Maybe a snack and a nice back pouch for decoys if I choose one that day.

I love that vest. And want trade it until it's in shreds. Lol

ScottTaulbee

I've had 2 different ol tom vests, 2 alps vests, the grounded vest, 2 different nomad vests, a cabela's tactical tat'r original, a couple old original mossy oak vests, the newer mossy oak strap vest, and the other mossy oak vest, a Glenda Green satchel, the Knight and Hale RNG 200 and 300, and I'm sure there are a couple I'm missing within the past 10 years and I always come back to the RNG 300. Light weight, adjustable from a 40 pound 4 year to a 245 pound man and beyond. Plenty of pockets, but still minimal, pockets are in the right places, nice seat, I'd buy it if it was 20$ or 400$. I like it that well. I actually bought 2 of the 300's and 2 of the 200's.

ScottTaulbee

Quote from: Dtrkyman on January 19, 2023, 03:50:30 PM
Most vests weigh more empty than my rng 200 does whn full!  If they still made them I would buy another, otherwise I would look at the Sitka vest for sure.
You can still get the 200 from sportsman's guide