OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NE goes to two bird limit and limits Out of State permit numbers

Started by Tail Feathers, September 01, 2022, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

Nebraska Game Commission voted August 31 to go to a statewide 2 bird spring limit, only one bird per calendar day, and limited out of staters to 10,000 total permits.
Fall limit is reduced to one bird.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

deadbuck

Historically, how many out of state permits were being sold?

deerhunt1988

Quote from: deadbuck on September 01, 2022, 03:30:11 PM
Historically, how many out of state permits were being sold?
2022 = 15,435 NR permits
2021 = 18,838 NR Permits

Information found from the NE Wild Turkey Reports on their website at the following link:

https://outdoornebraska.gov/wildlifesurveys/

deerhunt1988

Glad they moved from their initial proposal of a 1 bird limit for NRs. By allowing 2 birds (permits) for NR, they effectively cut the total number of potential NR hunters. And ensure they will sell out of NR permits. There's a decent chance they wouldn't have sold out if they limited NR to 1 bird. Nebraska is a long way for a lot of folks to travel for 1 bird, and it would have taken 10,000 NR hunters to sell out permits with the 1 bird limit.

The data is really eye opening, NR have been killing a good many more birds in recent years than residents! Good to see another state make strides to take care of its residents.

Tail Feathers

The website said there was an amendment proposed at the meeting to go with the two bird limit, so that part was a last minute change.  I agree, they would have a hard time selling out at a one bird limit.  I doubt too many out of staters got three birds anyway, so I'm not sure this will change the overall OOS harvest numbers much.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

FLGobstopper

WOW!!! Not to beat a dead horse but those numbers really highlight how loose lips, as well as game/state tourism + advertising departments with a view of turkeys or game as an unending resource, along with backing by large conservation organizations can crush a resource in about a minute. I hope they bounce back and get some great hatches for the next 2-3 years. A beautiful state and some great people. I also hope a lot will be learned from other states, hunters and the conservation organizations as well.

deerhunt1988

Here is a link to the 2021 Turkey Hunter Survey report. I spent nearly an hour reading the entire thing. There's a TON of comments at the end submitted by hunters.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-Spring-Turkey-Hunter-Survey-Report.pdf

There are a couple open ended questions at the end.

Appendix 1. Unedited text responses from hunters who indicated that they would not hunt in
Nebraska again to the question, "Why not?"

-TONS of comments regarding how overcrowded the public lands are now and how the hunting quality and bird numbers have tanked.
-Multiple people mentioned they were after the "US Super Slam"

Appendix 2. Unedited text responses from hunters indicating "other" factors that influenced their
decision to hunt turkeys in Nebraska during the spring turkey season in 2021.

-Multiple people mentioned The Hunting Public as why they hunted Nebraska in 2021
-More comments about the "US Super Slam"

Proof is in the pudding, no matter what the YouTubers/influencers/instagrammers say. Social media has WRECKED travel turkey hunting and public land hunting. Funny thing is, I bet half of those who mentioned the "US Super Slam" didn't even know it was a thing a few years ago. Now they are about like crossfitters and vegans. Wanna know how someone is a crossfitter/vegan/US Super Slammer? They'll tell you!

As far as those producing videos pimping out public lands and PROFITTING off the sport while we continually lose opportunity...Sickening.

Now we wait and see what other state we lose opportunity in next thanks to all newly "influenced" turkey hunters.

cwedding

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on September 02, 2022, 02:00:01 PM
Here is a link to the 2021 Turkey Hunter Survey report. I spent nearly an hour reading the entire thing. There's a TON of comments at the end submitted by hunters.

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wp-content/uploads/2021/11/2021-Spring-Turkey-Hunter-Survey-Report.pdf

Appendix 1. Unedited text responses from hunters who indicated that they would not hunt in

-TONS of comments regarding how overcrowded the public lands are now and how the hunting quality and bird numbers have tanked.

Appendix 2. Unedited text responses from hunters indicating "other" factors that influenced their

-Multiple people mentioned The Hunting Public as why they hunted Nebraska in 2021

Proof is in the pudding, no matter what the YouTubers/influencers/instagrammers say. Social media has WRECKED travel turkey hunting and public land hunting. Funny thing is, I bet half of those who mentioned the "US Super Slam" didn't even know it was a thing a few years ago. Now they are about like crossfitters and vegans. Wanna know how someone is a crossfitter/vegan/US Super Slammer? They'll tell you!

As far as those producing videos pimping out public lands and PROFITTING off the sport while we continually lose opportunity...Sickening.

Now we wait and see what other state we lose opportunity in next thanks to all newly "influenced" turkey hunters.

Incredible. It is easy to see the influence being had by these comments you posted. Very compelling.

It sucks how the Super Slam is such a fad these days. I killed my first out of state turkey back in 2017 and decided that year to start the Super Slam because of a friend that was almost done with his, all before ever seeing a single tubestar promo it. Nowadays, I am almost embarrassed to tell people that it is a goal of mine because I don't want to just sound like another fanboy. Regardless, I plan to finish.

Good for Nebraska on their regulations. Love to see certain states taking care of their residents first. Travel turkey hunting is going to become increasingly difficult as these regulations will certainly continue in more states. How these influencers cannot (or choose not to) see that name dropping states is causing them to be overrun is beyond me.

Dtrkyman

Good to see, about 5 years late but oh well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cuttinAR

Quote from: cwedding on September 02, 2022, 02:27:43 PM

Incredible. It is easy to see the influence being had by these comments you posted. Very compelling.

It sucks how the Super Slam is such a fad these days. I killed my first out of state turkey back in 2017 and decided that year to start the Super Slam because of a friend that was almost done with his, all before ever seeing a single tubestar promo it. Nowadays, I am almost embarrassed to tell people that it is a goal of mine because I don't want to just sound like another fanboy. Regardless, I plan to finish.

Good for Nebraska on their regulations. Love to see certain states taking care of their residents first. Travel turkey hunting is going to become increasingly difficult as these regulations will certainly continue in more states. How these influencers cannot (or choose not to) see that name dropping states is causing them to be overrun is beyond me.

You'd be a lot cooler if you didn't finish.

cwedding

Quote from: cuttinAR on September 02, 2022, 06:59:00 PM
Quote from: cwedding on September 02, 2022, 02:27:43 PM

You'd be a lot cooler if you didn't finish.
Luckily I don't turkey hunt to be cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CAPTJJ

Just looking at the numbers, that seems like pretty high success rates despite the turkey population being down. The NRs do quite a bit better than the residents also. I know the last couple times I hunted there I filled at the permits I purchased using traditional archery gear, all but one on public land and all DIY, 3 in 2015 and 2 in 2018. I wonder how NE compares to other states as far as success rate, may have to do some research.

GobbleGitr

Turkey restoration was successful because licenses were limited...when states were reopened to hunting, often it was by county, with a limit on licenses sold. As turkeys thrived, game agencies (whether they were underfunded or not) turned them into a cash cow. I am glad there are lots of people passionate about turkeys....I just wish more were as passionate for turkeys to thrive as they are to boast about slams and post content on social media.  The hunters of the early to mid 1900's would gag to see how turkeys have become marketed and turned into trophies (which is what a slam is). 

Roost 1

Quote from: GobbleGitr on September 03, 2022, 10:26:05 AM
Turkey restoration was successful because licenses were limited...when states were reopened to hunting, often it was by county, with a limit on licenses sold. As turkeys thrived, game agencies (whether they were underfunded or not) turned them into a cash cow. I am glad there are lots of people passionate about turkeys....I just wish more were as passionate for turkeys to thrive as they are to boast about slams and post content on social media.  The hunters of the early to mid 1900's would gag to see how turkeys have become marketed and turned into trophies (which is what a slam is).

Are you speaking of the same guys that nearly wiped the turkey population out.
The sole reason restoration was needed??

GobbleGitr

Are you speaking of the same guys that nearly wiped the turkey population out.
The sole reason restoration was needed??
[/quote]

I wouldn't disagree with you on that, there is no doubt many at that time had no concept of conservation...just like today there are more focused on consumption than production.