turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NE goes to two bird limit and limits Out of State permit numbers

Started by Tail Feathers, September 01, 2022, 03:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

I think non-residents are more successful bc they are hiring guides to put them on birds. They also are coming with the sole purpose of killing birds and getting their moneys worth. Along with killing a bird in a new state and or another bird towards their slam.

I wish they went to a system like missouri. You can only kill 1 bird the first week of the season. And then 1 more bird the rest of the season. It prevents anyone from coming in and wacking 2 birds back to back, or in the same day.

Hook hanger

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on September 03, 2022, 04:24:20 PM
I think non-residents are more successful bc they are hiring guides to put them on birds. They also are coming with the sole purpose of killing birds and getting their moneys worth. Along with killing a bird in a new state and or another bird towards their slam.

I wish they went to a system like missouri. You can only kill 1 bird the first week of the season. And then 1 more bird the rest of the season. It prevents anyone from coming in and wacking 2 birds back to back, or in the same day.

You could do what Missouri was doing in the 90s 2 week season and only one bird each week.

El Pavo Grande

Another example of how influential social media is.  I'm fortunate to have experienced NE for a few years, 10+ years ago before all the madness and nonsense. 

Didn't Nebraska have an advertising campaign just this past spring about the state offering some of the best turkey hunting in the country?

Prospector

I am both sorry to hear (it was necessary) AND glad that states are doing something besides "Harvest Reports ( while sitting on their hands ...)????. I feel this will be necessary just to keep turkeys in reasonably huntable numbers where I'm from.... Unfortunately still no word from my state on just what's going to be done. Limiting bag limits ???? is merely the first step. Unpopular as this will sound I've seriously rethought my whole "introduce more people to (turkey) hunting"...
With YouTube and other social media , poor habitat management, predators (inc more humans) and all the crutches that come with more hunters , turkeys are finding it much more difficult to thrive. A lot of the dudes I see are happy to show up and "hunt" but forget all about turkeys once the seasons done.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

nativeks

KDWP public land manager said they received a ton of calls in the North Central part of the state making sure that they could shoot 2 birds. He believes it actual has concentrated the pressure on that part of the state in a big way. So I think a lot of folks are swayed by the ability to shoot 2 birds.

deathfoot

So yes, I'm new here. Well, I was here a long time ago..like 2009 (the old board).

Anyway, I will be hunting Nebraska this spring (hopefully I get a tag). My question (or hope I would say) is to sell single tags first round. This would entitle everyone should get a tag. Then leftovers can be for those wanting the second tag. That's my opinion.

I have no issue traveling to bag one bird. I've done it multiple times in South Dakota. Will do it in many other states as well.

I haven't seen the way Nebraska is planning on doing the draw. I looked several weeks ago and didn't see any info nor could I find when the applications would be available. If anyone has any info. Please share.

And it's good to be back.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoder409

Quote from: deathfoot on December 11, 2022, 01:38:36 PM........sell single tags first round. This would entitle everyone should get a tag. Then leftovers can be for those wanting the second tag.

This would make sense in, both, preserving the resource AND putting as many guys in the woods as possible.............and as much tourism money into the Nebraska economy as possible.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

deerhunt1988

I'd rather them let everyone buy their two tags as soon as they want. Less total people in the woods that way and they will still sell out.

GobbleNut

The above trains of thought regarding the allotment of tags are all valid.  It just depends on which camp you are in.  The reduction of opportunity individually by limiting tag numbers per individual would result in more hunting opportunity for more people while also potentially resulting in the woods being more crowded.  Every additional tag you allow one individual to have leaves somebody else that would like to go hunting without that opportunity. Bottom line is,...choose your poison.

Of course, a reasonable solution to both would be to incorporate a system similar to that which Wisconsin uses,...multiple shorter hunt periods to spread out pressure while still allowing the opportunity for multiple tags for individuals by allowing hunters to apply (in drawings) for more hunt periods. Naturally, that kind of system would not satisfy those folks at either extreme, but at least it would be a compromise towards the middle. 

deathfoot

I've been checking the Nebraska game department website every so often to see when applications would be available for non residents. Just wanted to let everyone who is interested know that you can begin to apply for turkey permits on January 9.

It appears it's first come first serve until the 10,000 permits are sold (as mentioned it's 2 per nonresident). I'll be buying my permit on the 9th or applying, whichever the case may be. Y'all let me know if I'm not interpreting the first come first serve correctly. Also, I'll be happy to report here how the process is when I get through it if anyone would like to know.

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

huntineveryday

I just wanted to add 2 things that I hadn't seen mentioned so far...

1) you cannot harvest more than 1 bird per day

2) all birds will need to be checked in via the telecheck system

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wildturkey/

I like the changes they've made. I'm interested in what the harvest data they recover via telecheck will look like.  The only things they didn't touch were the spring season dates. Harvest data would be useful in either keeping them the same or pushing for a change in the future if the current changes don't have enough of an effect.

***also, one thing for any non-resident to consider is that a lot of the state has been in some pretty serious drought this year. Some areas have caught decent snow in the last week, but if you plan on hunting in areas that have been hit hard, I think you can expect lower numbers of birds next spring. Hatch was tough, and chick survival with little cover and few bugs couldn't have been too good either.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?NE

deathfoot

Quote from: huntineveryday on January 04, 2023, 08:11:38 PM
I just wanted to add 2 things that I hadn't seen mentioned so far...

1) you cannot harvest more than 1 bird per day

2) all birds will need to be checked in via the telecheck system

http://outdoornebraska.gov/wildturkey/

I like the changes they've made. I'm interested in what the harvest data they recover via telecheck will look like.  The only things they didn't touch were the spring season dates. Harvest data would be useful in either keeping them the same or pushing for a change in the future if the current changes don't have enough of an effect.

***also, one thing for any non-resident to consider is that a lot of the state has been in some pretty serious drought this year. Some areas have caught decent snow in the last week, but if you plan on hunting in areas that have been hit hard, I think you can expect lower numbers of birds next spring. Hatch was tough, and chick survival with little cover and few bugs couldn't have been too good either.

https://droughtmonitor.unl.edu/CurrentMap/StateDroughtMonitor.aspx?NE

Thank you for the info and the link. One bird is good for me, lol. Also,  I just checked, the area I am planning on hunting (Northeast Nebraska near the SD border) is the extreme drought stage. Landowner states he is seeing plenty of bird tho..so we will see. But again, thank you for the info.

deathfoot

So I posted earlier and removed it because I didn't see that the tags actually didn't go on sale until 1 pm CST.

I just got my Nebraska Spring turkey tag. It was fairly easy (once they went on sell lol).

It is first come first serve. So any non residents wanting a tag or two, go get them! FYI, they've sold about 1,700 of them in the first 30 minutes!! :o