OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I treated myself

Started by ChesterCopperpot, June 02, 2022, 11:09:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

Last fall I had something good happen that I'd always told myself if it did I'd treat myself with a real nice rifle. So anyways, I bought an Uberti Courteney stalking rifle. It's made off an 1885 Winchester high wall action and designed to imitate the late 1800s, early 1900s rifles that Brits were modifying to take to hunt Africa. Super cool history and if you're interested you can read about what they were trying to do with the gun as well as about the namesake, Frederick Courteney Selous (why they didn't call it the Selous stalking rifle is beyond me), on Uberti's site. Anyhow, pretty quickly after getting it and shooting the rifle I realized I'd want to put some glass on it. I decided I wanted to go with an old fixed power scope. I wound up finding an outfit in Montana that refurbishes and even completely outfits vintage scopes with modern glass and lens coatings. What I put on it is an old Weaver K4 with a German post reticle. Modern glass, modern coatings, completely reblued, mechanics redone. Then I got some case hardened roll stamped Weaver mounts for it to play off the case hardening on the rifle. It came out pretty sweet! And man this glass is crystal! I stayed out the other night to test it at dusk and I was gathering plenty of shooting light right to the very end. Actually had five does come out in the yard and was able to watch them. Could pick that German post up great in the low light. Know it's not a turkey gun, but thought y'all might think it was cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Happy

Awsome gun! What caliber? I have an old scope I need to get refurbished thats on my grandfather's favorite rifle he handed down to me. First scope he ever bought. Its a fixed 4 power as well with the same mounts. Last time I took it hunting I really struggled to pick up my target in low light and it's pretty cloudy.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeybutt

Good looking firearm! Enjoy.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Happy on June 02, 2022, 11:20:03 AM
Awsome gun! What caliber? I have an old scope I need to get refurbished thats on my grandfather's favorite rifle he handed down to me. First scope he ever bought. Its a fixed 4 power as well with the same mounts. Last time I took it hunting I really struggled to pick up my target in low light and it's pretty cloudy.

It's a .303 British. They make it in a .45-70 as well but didn't think that honored the history they were trying to recreate. I've found it to be exceptionally accurate. Always heard about issues with that cartridge and think now it had less to do with failings of the cartridge and more to do with manufacturing inconsistencies with the primary gun people shot that round from (British Enfields). Those old Enfields were rush jobs and the head spacing was all over the place. Anyhow, with it being your grandfather's scope it might be worth it to you to put some money into it. Complete glass replacement is a bit high but good glass is always gonna be high. Be something good worth passing down. You could also contact him and tell him the issues and see if he thought a refurbishment might suit you to get the haze out of the old glass. Here's the company: https://www.vintagegunscopes.com

ChesterCopperpot

Was talking to a buddy this morning and I think it would be cool to do a retro turkey gun build and put one of those vintage fixed ones on it

Happy

Thanks for the link Chester. I bet if you reload you could really make that gun shoot. Plus bullets are a lot more advanced than when that round was developed. It can do exactly what you want in your area with a little tinkering.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

3bailey3

zelmo1

runngun

That's a beautiful rifle! I hope that you kill a biggun with it.

Have a good one
Bo

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Blessed are the peacemakers for they are the children of God.

Hoot 000

Super nice gun David good luck with it.

Tom007

Beauty Dave, good luck with it. Looks real good.....

Yoder409

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

shatcher

Great looking rifle.  Thanks for the link too.  I have an old K12 I may send off.

crow

Sweet looking rifle and setup, very nice