turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

The Call You Have ABSOLUTE FAITH In

Started by bbcoach, May 30, 2022, 02:59:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Prospector

Almost ashamed to admit this LOL... not very good on a mouth call- my fault; just won't practice enough bc I struggle with the fit I guess... can call with my natural voice softly well enough to have called several over the years... my go to? A Primos box called a Graphite Prospector (????). Found it in a Mom n Pop gas station/ bait shop/outdoor store YEARS ago covered in dust ... got home, played it and thought,"Nahh". Set on a shelf several years (seasoning I guess), then one day I played it again and thought," I believe that will hunt...". Been in my vest ever since... I have bought several custom boxes lately, they are all good and probably sound better but that little box just fits my hand...
Also, I'll throw some Luv to the Woodhaven Cherry Classic Slate too... it seems to step up once or twice a season itself.
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

wchadw

Quote from: Tom007 on August 04, 2022, 05:41:32 PM
A good friend of mine told me to take 2 of my best push pins and when the Tom's won't cooperate, hit them with the fighting purr with the 2 push pin's. I can honestly say that this absolutely worked last spring, I have complete faith in this set-up.....be well....
I've had this work a few time especially early season in MS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ranger

Was a Hustlin Hen at one time, has been a Mabry box or walnut slate at times. But for about a half decade if he's GOT to die its a Ricky Padgett Persimmon slate over glass he hears last.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Tom007

Quote from: wchadw on August 06, 2022, 08:44:18 AM
Quote from: Tom007 on August 04, 2022, 05:41:32 PM
A good friend of mine told me to take 2 of my best push pins and when the Tom's won't cooperate, hit them with the fighting purr with the 2 push pin's. I can honestly say that this absolutely worked last spring, I have complete faith in this set-up.....be well....
I've had this work a few time especially early season in MS

Yea, it seems to rile them up real quick especially when there are multiple Tom's....
"Solo hunter"

Sasha and Abby

I run a couple of diaphrams that I like, but calls don't matter to me.  I can take a 50 year old Lynch and do the exact same thing as a slate/crystal/glass...  really does not matter.  It is in the inflection in the call and the rhythm/volume of the hunter. 

Tail Feathers

I don't like to brag on my unique talent, but on any given day I can make the best of calls sound bad.  It's a gift I discovered early in my turkey hunting career.  I can run a call for weeks on end before season, and sometimes during season before one day I sound like a rusty gate hinge.  It happens sporadically, most days it's just one call, some days it is every call I own.

So it makes it real hard to pick one I have absolute faith in because, like a roadhouse girlfriend, they will turn on you when you least expect it. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Yoteduster

Tom007

Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 07, 2022, 09:03:25 PM
I don't like to brag on my unique talent, but on any given day I can make the best of calls sound bad.  It's a gift I discovered early in my turkey hunting career.  I can run a call for weeks on end before season, and sometimes during season before one day I sound like a rusty gate hinge.  It happens sporadically, most days it's just one call, some days it is every call I own.

So it makes it real hard to pick one I have absolute faith in because, like a roadhouse girlfriend, they will turn on you when you least expect it.

I think you are a lot better than you think.......Turkey vocabulary is not perfect either. I've heard some real bad sounding hens walk a big Tom away from me.......
"Solo hunter"

Copperback

Original Primos limbhanger mouth yelper. Soft and subtle "wits" combined with 2 and 3 note clean front end yelps has fooled a truck load of wise Longbeards for me.

Ranman

I have a couple of slates that have been killers, one is a Lonnie Sneed hot hen, and the other from a local pastor (Follow the Call turkey calls). Last season I killed two gobs using a Shannon Kelly push pin. It will be in my pocket from now on.

spiggy2

Brad roberts poplar glass over glass. Always seems to strike one when my other calls haven't.

"Believe me, you will find more lessons in the woods than in books. Trees and stones will teach you what you cannot learn from masters." - St. Bernard of Clairvaux

btodd00

hooks manipulator and Tim Sanford slate over glass have produced the best for me

Gobbler428

KP Cocobolo Trumpet works really good for me.

EZ

Any call that makes it to my vest I have absolute faith in.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Tail Feathers on August 07, 2022, 09:03:25 PM

You and me both buddy, definitely a talent I wish didn't rare it's ugly head at times ????