OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

ONX questions

Started by Cowboy, May 24, 2022, 09:37:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Been using it for last 2 years now and find that alot of the places I hunt it has issues with tracking me. Sometimes found that it tracks me off of the main trail or something similar to that. You guys got any info or tips on how you use it to benefit your hunts? I watched a youtube video on it but thought maybe could be some insight from the forum to help.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

I had some issues with mine tracking wise, it was a setting I had turned off on my phone.  Iphone and it was something in the system services.

Different issue though, mine had the pointer not following my direction of travel, really confusing!

Call them, their customer service is excellent and they have had an immediate fix for any issue I have had!

FL-Boss

Could be a phone GPS calibration issue. Try another app, start a track and see if it does the same thing? Best thing I did was get off OnX. I found all the other apps.. huntstand, basemaps, etc use MUCH better resolution.. I think it's tied to Google. And they are updated more frequently. I know for sure the OnX view of my house is over 3 years old....but more importantly, the resolution isn't as good.

Master Gobbie

Quote from: FL-Boss on May 24, 2022, 09:52:19 AM
Could be a phone GPS calibration issue. Try another app, start a track and see if it does the same thing? Best thing I did was get off OnX. I found all the other apps.. huntstand, basemaps, etc use MUCH better resolution.. I think it's tied to Google. And they are updated more frequently. I know for sure the OnX view of my house is over 3 years old....but more importantly, the resolution isn't as good.

Do the other hunting apps have property boundaries and display ownership like onX?
Proverbs  3: 5-6

btomlin

I ran BaseMap this Spring after your recommendation.  I don't miss OnX at all!  I was showing it to a buddy that has OnX and he is likely going to basemap once his subscription with Onx is up.  Thanks again.  The best part was $27(after promo code) for the entire US!

OJR

I use BaseMap and it is very detailed and reliable. Property boundaries, landowners, etc.
It's all there.

eggshell

thx guys I will look at base map. I have found that onX is not up to date at all. Some properties are over 5 years since change of owners and they still have the old owners. I know one that adjoins me is 8 years off

NY Short Spurs

I have been noticing the same thing as well. I have stuck with OnX because its all my hunting buddies use and I have been unsuccessful in converting them. I think I might end up going rogue on them for Basemap haha.
The Season May End, But the Journey Does Not

Cowboy

Quote from: btomlin on May 24, 2022, 10:51:27 AM

I ran BaseMap this Spring after your recommendation.  I don't miss OnX at all!  I was showing it to a buddy that has OnX and he is likely going to basemap once his subscription with Onx is up.  Thanks again.  The best part was $27(after promo code) for the entire US!
$27 for a year?? OnX just pulled $106 and some change from my account 4 days ago...

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

btomlin

Yes,  I think regular price is $35(??) and I found a promo code that dropped it down to $27.  At mothers day, I saw they had 30% off or something.  Well worth the price to me as when I had Onx I only had my state and paid the same as I do now with the entire US. 

Dtrkyman

Not sure if it is still the case but ONX had a larger selection of layers last time I checked into another ap. Some of those layers are crucial!

The more the merrier, will only lead to improvement from all, Spartan Forge I think it is called looks interesting! 

FL-Boss

Yes, it shows property owners' names and boundaries just like the other apps. And yes.. as mentioned above,  its much cheaper. It has everything I could ever need. But being up to date is especially important to me since I hunt mainly in the southern piney woods and they are always clear cutting timber.

btodd00

All of them knock the price way down usually around thanksgiving/Black Friday. I have hunt stand and I would not recommend it again even for the $29/yr I paid, I would go with basemap for my next one.

The property owner info I have checked has been accurate on hunt stand but the other features are not user friendly imo

Gooserbat

I never use the tracking.  I just like to know who's fence I jumped.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

I am not talking about property boundaries, there are many other layers that are invaluable at times, not sure what other apps have them?

I always use the track, never know when you gotta go back and find something you left or dropped!

I hunted some lands in a state that without a certain map layer I would have had zero clue I could hunt in those places!