OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Near a highway

Started by Sir-diealot, May 19, 2022, 03:14:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Monday I have to take the Mennonite somewhere and I'll be hunting near a highway while he's doing his thing. The noise factor is very loud and I'm trying to decide what calls I should bring there to be heard better.
I was thinking of a bronze glass, a titanium and copper pot calls. Ceramic is also on my mind. Mouth calls to make them pop their heads up. Does this sound like I am in the right ballpark? Maybe a box call too?

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sixes

Any call will work.  I wouldn't call overly loud, actual turkeys are going to call normally and I doubt that walk around screaming at the top of their lungs.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Sixes on May 19, 2022, 03:19:15 PM
Any call will work.  I wouldn't call overly loud, actual turkeys are going to call normally and I doubt that walk around screaming at the top of their lungs.
No but I know you have to raise your voice to be heard there so figured I may want a call that was a bit more shrill so it could be heard better?

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Turkeyman

One of my spots is near I-81...you know where that is. Lots of loud traffic. Calling with normal volume using any of my calls works fine. Don't overthink it and not sound realistic.

My second NY bird was probably 250 yards from I-81.

RutnNStrutn

The guys are right. The turkeys are used to the noise and just go about their business. The noise doesn't bother them like it does you. I'd do what I do on very windy days. Wait for a lull in the traffic, and do most of your calling when it's not as noisy. Good luck!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Spitten and drummen

Nope. Use whatever calls you want. Turkeys can hear you calling , 100 percent.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Old Timer

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 19, 2022, 04:00:46 PM
The guys are right. The turkeys are used to the noise and just go about their business. The noise doesn't bother them like it does you. I'd do what I do on very windy days. Wait for a lull in the traffic, and do most of your calling when it's not as noisy. Good luck!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Good advise here. I often hunt near train tracks and wait for a lull then call as normal. Funny thing is when a train comes bye turkeys shut down then in a few minutes they start up again.
good luck.

Sir-diealot

All right thanks a lot guys, I do appreciate all the advice. Yeah I do tend to overthink things quite often.

John Koenig:

Zobo

I don't think it would hurt to bring a little volume, I'd take that Watkins serviceberry longbox/misfit you have (if I got that right) especially if you plan on being stationary.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Greg Massey

It's always good to have a call you can crank on if you need a little more volume... always have and take your options ...

Gooserbat

Probably been a few shot from a highway.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

squidd

I'm planning on putting copper pots away next year and go back to slate. 

Have a hunch they are too noisy and harder to soften calling as easily as I can with a slate call.

nyhunter

After years of hunting land right along I 86 in Steuben and Allegany county's I can tell you for sure that the bids can hear your calling at normal calling volume just fine.  On the other hand you may struggle to hear them at time. slow down set up and call like turkeys. Don't do a lot of walking and calling or you will bump birds. 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Zobo on May 19, 2022, 07:25:53 PM
I don't think it would hurt to bring a little volume, I'd take that Watkins serviceberry longbox/misfit you have (if I got that right) especially if you plan on being stationary.
Yes stationary in a chair blind. I tried the ground this past week and my body just won't let me do it, I was hoping it would. The Fiddle Paddle is Serviceberry and Alaskan Yellow Cedar, I am thinking of that for sure. Good memory. I have a Fiddle Box wit me right now that is Persimmon and Butternut. No misfits yet, other than myself

John Koenig:

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 19, 2022, 07:42:43 PM
It's always good to have a call you can crank on if you need a little more volume... always have and take your options ...
Thanks Greg. Had a Jake and 2 hens come through around 7:30, man he was small. Put on a nice show though, wish I had had my camera but they are calling for thunder storms and camera case is not waterproof. I do not have a picture of a Jake fanning yet.

John Koenig: