Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What was your first turkey gun and when?

Started by Turkeybutt, May 13, 2022, 08:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guesswho

Quote from: hawk1958 on May 18, 2022, 08:39:16 AM
I shot my first turkey with my grandson's Mossberg 510 Youth Mini Super Bantam 20 Gauge.

I was watching my grandsons  the spring of 2020 because of Covid  concerns at school. My 11 year old grandson asked me to take him turkey hunting. We ended up both getting our first turkey that spring. He was 11 and I was 61 years old.

Since then we have used the Mossberg 510 Youth, a Maverick 88 20 ga Youth and a Tri Star Raptor 20 ga Youth.
That's pretty cool!   Congrats.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Turkeybutt

I shot my first turkey with my grandson's Mossberg 510 Youth Mini Super Bantam 20 Gauge.
I was watching my grandsons the spring of 2020 because of Covid concerns at school. My 11 year old grandson asked me to take him turkey hunting. We ended up both getting our first turkey that spring. He was 11 and I was 61 years old.
Since then we have used the Mossberg 510 Youth, a Maverick 88 20 ga Youth and a Tri Star Raptor 20 ga Youth.

Hawk Wow congratulations to you and your grandson!
I take it since you picked up a Maverick 88 and the Tri Star you and the grandson's are hooked.
Never too late nor too early to start something.  Good for you!

RutnNStrutn

46 years ago my Dad got me a Remington 870 Wingmaster. I still have that gun, and have killed many ducks, turkeys, deer, hogs and assorted small game with it.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

zelmo1

Quote from: guesswho on May 13, 2022, 09:31:50 AM
I killed my first turkey in Florida in 1966 with a Revelation bolt action 410, still have it.  Killed my first long beard the following year with a Winchester model 37 in a 20 gauge.   Still have it as well as a feather from that gobbler under the butt plate.   I killed my first one this year with that same gun.  Like hunting with an old friend.
Thats the year I was born  :OGturkeyhead:

zelmo1

Mine was a Browning Gold 3.5" in 2001. 3.5" Winchester supreme #4's

fishr64

1990 I got a jake in the fall season with my Ithaca 37 with fixed full choke and 2 3/4 inch #4's. I think they were magnums that 3 of us split a box of. I was hooked and my wife got me an 870 SPS Turkey in Mossy Oak green leaf for spring gobbler. Still have both guns and took the 870 for a walk last week. Made me appreciate how light my 20 gauge is.

Flatbottomarky

Mossberg 500, 30" full choke barrel, 2x6 loads. 1982.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Chad Gus715

Mossberg 835, bought new in 1999. Patterned nice, but 8 inches high and right, sold it after using it for 3 years

TonyTurk

Quote from: Turkeybutt on May 13, 2022, 08:43:20 AM
I didn't have a lot when I was young but 50 some years ago somebody gave me a Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun 12 Gauge which was a bolt action and had a 36" barrel. That was my first turkey gun.
Wow, this was my first turkey gun as well!  It belonged to my dad before cancer took him at age 49.  He had killed several toms with it, before I got interested in turkey hunting.

I killed my first Tom with it, then retired it.

rifleman

Killed my first gobbler in 1975 fresh out of the USAF in Dec. 1974.  The gun was my brother's Revelation 20 ga. over a 22lr. and was the only thing we had that shot 3" shells which I thought was a must.  Neither of us owned a bigger gun.  I knew nothing of turkeys but did have an old lynch box call.  The turkey came without gobbling and walked right by me on a deer trail at 20 yds.  I didn't know they were black.  He ducked over a steep back that led to the river and gobbled.  I knew no better so I sneaked up to the edge and we saw each other at the same instant.  He ran to my right and maybe at 50 yds. I shot and he rolled backwards.  I ran to him and shot him in the head with the .22.  I was sure proud.  A lot has changed since then.

High plains drifter

Winchester model 97,16 guage, 30 inch full. 1987.

wv mossy oak

Winchester Model 370 20 gauge full choke, 1968. 
"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Turkeybutt

TonyTurk
So you had a Mod 55 as well.... LOL
If you remember you couldn't sling it on your shoulder while walking through the woods because with that 36" barrel ya hit every low hanging limb in the woods!

Happy

Mossberg 835 bought around 2000 or 2001. Carried it exclusively up until this spring. Pulled it out once this year and hunted with it. It still works.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Turkeyman

Remington 870 Wingmaster with 30" full choke barrel. Bought it in 1970 but didn't start turkey hunting until 1976.