OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What was your first turkey gun and when?

Started by Turkeybutt, May 13, 2022, 08:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

1991 I believe, 835, never forget the first turkey target I shot with it, after resetting my jaw I looked at that target and was like really!

Pathetic pattern compared to stuff now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeymanjim

LC smith 16 gauge ideal grade that was my grandfather's gun. Still have the gun. Shot first turkey 1972 in fall.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

I shot my first turkey with an 870 Express with a 28" barrel.
I wanted something shorter and with more range so I bought a Mossberg 835 turkey gun before season two.
I haven't carried a 12 gauge in a few years now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

budtripp

Started off in 1999 or so with my bird gun, which was a Beretta A303 12 ga with a 2.75" chamber. Used the factory full with winny XX #6s. Never shot anything those 2 seasons with it, but got the bug bad. Bought a used Mossberg 835 in 2001 and used the old federal premium 3.5" #4s to kill my first turkey.

Zobo

Belgium made Browning "Sweet 16" humpback
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Cottonmouth

15 yrs old. Remington 1100 2 3/4" with a load of high brass 4's. Killed my first that had 11 3/4" beard and 1" spurs. Dad created a monster that day.

Kylongspur88

1187 bought with money from my part time job in high school circa 98ish. I used that an old Hastings turkey choke and federal gold box 5s to terrorize the turkey woods

Zobo

Quote from: St. Augustine Strutter on May 13, 2022, 02:59:24 PM
A Beretta 390 in all black synthetic; some called it the "Walmart Beretta" because I believe it was the only Beretta ever sold in Walmart stores.  It is an Italian made Beretta and it is one heck of a gun for Walmart to have carried for just $500. 

I too bought a Beretta from Walmart. It was a 686 over and under double 20 gauge. I think it was in '92 or '93 and that gun has many, many thousands of rounds through it, many grouse,woodcock, ducks,pheasants (no turkeys :camohat:) and it is still as tight as the day I bought it...AWESOME Italian shotgun, and best bargain ever.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Jbird22

My parents bought me an 870 Express SP Turkey (black synthetic) in the mid 90's. I killed my first 2 turkeys with it but then started carrying a SuperMag. Prior to this season, I got the SP set up for TSS 8's and killed my first gobbler with it in 20+ years. I plan to try to kill one with it every season from now on.

bonasa

Remington 1187 1995, shot 26" bbl with Remington Super Full and Federal 2oz of 6's.

TrackeySauresRex

Mann some of you guys are Old!  :funnyturkey:

88' Ol mossy in green leaf. She was a shooter. The Ol shoulder breaker was retired a few years back when I discovered what the 20 can do.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

1988, model 1300 winchester turkey gun with laminated stock and forearm.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

gunboy203

1978  - A borrowed Remington 1100 12ga..

hawk1958

I shot my first turkey with my grandson's Mossberg 510 Youth Mini Super Bantam 20 Gauge.

I was watching my grandsons  the spring of 2020 because of Covid  concerns at school. My 11 year old grandson asked me to take him turkey hunting. We ended up both getting our first turkey that spring. He was 11 and I was 61 years old.

Since then we have used the Mossberg 510 Youth, a Maverick 88 20 ga Youth and a Tri Star Raptor 20 ga Youth.

turkey harvester

Single shot Stevens smooth bore in 1978.
TURKEY NUT CUSTOM STRIKERS- Jeffrey Thompson-Owner.  Kathleen,GA
Hunt with your kids, not for them.

Hunt with your kids, not for them.