Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What was your first turkey gun and when?

Started by Turkeybutt, May 13, 2022, 08:43:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeybutt

I didn't have a lot when I was young but 50 some years ago somebody gave me a Marlin Model 55 Goose Gun 12 Gauge which was a bolt action and had a 36" barrel. That was my first turkey gun.

saltysenior

L.C. Smith , 12ga ,24'' , full/ mod., Rem, high brass 7 !/2 shot.....1970

Cowboy

I killed my first gobbler with a borrowed Browning A5 with a smooth bore short slug barrel. Close range gun and he was 20 yards. Think after that first year I had a Mossberg 500 12 ga with a 28 inch barrel.  First one I bought specifically for turkeys was a Mossberg 9200 auto in Mossy Oak Original Treestamd camo. Bought that one in the early 90s.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

guesswho

I killed my first turkey in Florida in 1966 with a Revelation bolt action 410, still have it.  Killed my first long beard the following year with a Winchester model 37 in a 20 gauge.   Still have it as well as a feather from that gobbler under the butt plate.   I killed my first one this year with that same gun.  Like hunting with an old friend.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

mikejd

Remington 870 bought it in 1994 killed my first bird with it same year.

Greg Massey

An old single shot 12 gauge ... long time ago... LOL

Yoder409

Winchester 1200 2 3/4" 12 gauge  28" plain barrel with an Xtra full factory Winchoke tube.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

btodd00

bolt action sears roebuck 20g with fixed full choke, then a mossberg 500 20g fixed choke. I also used those for hunting hogs and birds growing up so they weren't dedicated turkey guns, just what my dad gave me to use (he still has both). First dedicated turkey gun was a mossberg 500 12g in woodland came (I still have it)

MO_HUNTER

TKE921

Jstocks

Benelli Super 90 Black Eagle in 1999 (can't remember exact year). Comp n Choke XXX Full choke.

This was first gun I set up for turkey specifically. Before that I used an old A5 modified choke 12 gauge and a borrowed Mossberg 835.

Turkeybutt

Guesswho I believe the Revelation Brand was sold at Western Auto back in the day.

J-Shaped

870 Express 12ga with a 28" barrel, Hastings .660 choke shooting Federal 3" 1 7/8 oz #6's. Killed my first few birds with that setup in the early 90's then switched to the Rem Duplex 4x6 loads for a bit. Lopped the original barrel off to 24" several years back and still break it out for a bird from time to time for old times sake.

Tom007

1980. Remington 1100 12 gauge Magnum. Purchased it at Herman's Sporting Goods...

FLGobstopper

Started with a 20ga Win model 12 with mod choke, but never actually shot one with it. Hunted all sorts of small game, ducks, dove, etc with that gun and realized it might not be the best turkey gun. Probably a good thing I never got a shot at one that first or 2nd season. Then got a little older and moved up to a 12ga 870 with a full rem choke which became my turkey gun. Hunted ducks, deer, hogs and everything with that.

Then in early 1990 something, I bought my first real dedicated turkey gun, an 870 special purpose in bottomland. Still have all those which don't come out the safe much anymore, but I have added several others in various gauges and configurations to the collection over the years.