turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Locator calling for Eastern birds

Started by jmerchant1, May 09, 2022, 10:25:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jmerchant1

Anyone have any advice for using locator calls on Eastern gobblers before sunrise? I always bring along my hoot flute season after season but never seem to get that shock gobble even when they are in fact in the area. I've always tried to use it just before dawn and use the "h-h-hoo, hoo, hoo" sequence to imitate the great horned owl which I believe is most common in my state of Pennsylvania. Am I missing something here, or is it just a coincidental string of no luck? Is there a more effective call out there for my area?

Dtrkyman

Goose call has been really good for me.  Coyote howler as well.  Though I normally let em gobble on their own pre dawn.

Paulmyr

I hoot with my voice. Higher pitched hoots seem to work better for me. I think my lower pitched hoots sound better but I'm not a turkey. Although, I may have been called one from time to time.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Wisgobbler

Harrison hootin stick is the best I've used or heard. I sometimes coyote howl with a turkey diaphragm. But day in day out this call does work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

High pitched owl hoot / coyote howl / hawk squeal / wood duck whistle
Crow ... all these work consistently for me .

Turkeybutt

Normally I wait and listen for them to gobble on their own predawn. If that doesn't happen I'll use an owl or crow call.

Cowboy

I always prefer for them to gobble on their own on the roost. However, if I can get a bunch of owls answering me, I generally drop out and let the real ones to it for me. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Timmer

I've been hunting the same bluff country for 23 years.  I've tried crow, coyote, goose, and owl, all high-end expensive brands.  The area is super active with wildlife and I hear all of these animals with frequency.  The birds don't seem to care one bit when I add mine to the mix.  I also tried a peacock call during the day and all I seemed to do with that is chase hens out of the tall grasses and I feared I'd do the same with a tom. The only time I can remember getting a shock response is when a bird happened to be on the opposite side of a big pine tree from me on a windy day and I had unknowingly snuck right up on it before letting loose with a goose call. 

In the morning I let the birds do the talking.  During the day I use a mouth diaphragm to make hen calls as I'm sneaking along. 

Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Cowboy on May 10, 2022, 05:56:23 AM
I always prefer for them to gobble on their own on the roost. However, if I can get a bunch of owls answering me, I generally drop out and let the real ones to it for me. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Same with crows. Get the real ones going and shut up. I'll add that if you've got someone hunting with you put some distance between yourselves if and when you're going to locate call. Lots of times the one making the call misses the gobble over the sound of the call. Another reason to get the real ones going and shut up if you're alone. No telling how many birds aren't heard that shock gobble during the call that the person running the call can't hear.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

I would never attempt to reproduce a Great Horned Owl; they eat turkeys.  Whether your area has Barred Owls, a good imitation of that species is in order.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

rakkin6

I have had the best luck with a peacock call. It is high pitched and a different sound for here in Tennessee. After that I have had the most luck with my TJ Johnson or McKamey long boxes.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

crow

Greg Massey

locator calls, don't help that much in my area, just best to let them wake up on their own naturally.

Sir-diealot

I have know people that swear by elk calls for turkey around here. Maybe it works because there are no elk here?
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."