OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not worth the effort

Started by bwhana, May 08, 2022, 04:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

Done

RiverBuck

I have from loud to soft:
Yell
Normal voice
Woods voice.
You may think turkey don't care but I know deer and bears do... When I'm in the woods w friends or family, we speak softly.

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Mountainburd

I have a good friend I hunt with occasionally. When we hunt together, it usually ends up being a lot of walking and a lot of talking and catching up. But, we seem to have a bit of a disagreement on the volume. I prefer to talk very quietly almost in a whisper. He talks in a normal voice tone. Who knows.

I've always been someone who prefers to be very quiet in the woods even after a harvest. I've never understood the people that yell and cheer when they kill a deer or a turkey. I try and remain as quiet as possible.

Greg Massey

I hunt mostly by myself... So i do a lot of talking to myself ..LOL...

lacire

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 08, 2022, 06:09:07 PM

Any argument over who gets the first shot?  :TooFunny:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

lacire

We whisper, and a little louder if we're in a blind, but never at a level of our normal voice.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Greg Massey

Quote from: lacire on May 08, 2022, 06:16:00 PM
Quote from: Greg Massey on May 08, 2022, 06:09:07 PM

Any argument over who gets the first shot?  :TooFunny:
:TooFunny: Yes ...

fallhnt

When I'm getting walked in on I say in a loud voice,hey I'm hunting hear. It's worked for me,other than that,whisper.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Zobo

It is true that sometimes turkeys are unfazed by the sound of human voices. And other times they run to the hills. How are you going to know which situation you're dealing with? Plus I find it disrespectful to be loud in the woods, especially in early morning hours. Not only do we whisper, we walk and move with as little noise as possible. It's always a good practice for all types of hunting...and fishing.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Cowboy

We whisper. I taught the kids to be quiet as well. Just seems right. Almost like being quiet in God's country.  Respectful.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zobo

Quote from: Cowboy on May 08, 2022, 07:07:39 PM
We whisper. I taught the kids to be quiet as well. Just seems right. Almost like being quiet in God's country.  Respectful.

Well put, absolutely
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Cowboy on May 08, 2022, 07:07:39 PM

I agree, even backing out for the day I do not talk at a normal tone til I am at or in the truck/cabin, not that it happens much, I normally hunt alone and get along with myself quite well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

Most on here seem to agree woodsmanship is the number one thing when hunting turkeys. I don't see talking in the woods as good woodsmanship. When im hunting i don't want to let any of the animals know I'm around if i can help it. Quiet as a church mouse. No breaking sticks, easier said than done, no shaking saplings by rubbing against them, and definitely no loud talking.

You maybe able to get away with talking in areas with lots of human activity throughout the year. In the quiet areas where human activity is limited whispering is a no brainer for me.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

CowHunter71

If you have to ask this question it is obvious you don't hunt Turkeys that have been heavily pressured ;)