OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Not worth the effort

Started by bwhana, May 08, 2022, 04:44:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

Quote from: Cottonmouth on May 08, 2022, 10:13:30 PM
I always catch myself and laugh about whispering to my hunting buddies while I'm still in the truck. If we see one in a field, I whisper " Don't even look at em".
I do this too!!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

BDeal

No offense but I cannot believe anyone that has even the least bit of hunting experience would ask this question.

bwhana

Quote from: BDeal on May 09, 2022, 01:24:49 PM
No offense but I cannot believe anyone that has even the least bit of hunting experience would ask this question.
No offense taken, I am very secure in my abilities in the woods and my harvests can speak for themselves, so your comment is irrelevant.

To a degree, I should not be surprised by some of these comments, as they are no different than the old school stances on tss vs lead, traditional vs compound, 40 yard max shot, and the list goes on.  Old norms and values change and evolve over time, and if you aren't growing or changing, you are just dying.

To a point, Shane Simpson and Catman's videos are good examples of what I am referring to as talking in the woods versus completely whispering.  They are realistic in their volume as compared to most and I do not see any disrespect of the "holy" woods, spooking animals, or much else detrimental.  That was what I have found too.  This was an simply an open discussion to see which way folks went and why, but not intended to sway anyone either direction or do the usual attack statements because it is not your way.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: barry on May 09, 2022, 11:52:08 AM
Quote from: guesswho on May 08, 2022, 05:39:17 PM
Whisper

Sign language!
Have used it deer hunting to let somebody know a deer is coming to their stand. May not be the normal stuff, raise orange hat so person can see you, put hand with thumbs to head to indicate buck coming and maybe direction if trail splits.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Paulmyr

Quote from: bwhana on May 09, 2022, 01:57:19 PM
No offense taken, I am very secure in my abilities in the woods and my harvests can speak for themselves, so your comment is irrelevant.

To a degree, I should not be surprised by some of these comments, as they are no different than the old school stances on tss vs lead, traditional vs compound, 40 yard max shot, and the list goes on.  Old norms and values change and evolve over time, and if you aren't growing or changing, you are just dying.

To a point, Shane Simpson and Catman's videos are good examples of what I am referring to as talking in the woods versus completely whispering.  They are realistic in their volume as compared to most and I do not see any disrespect of the "holy" woods, spooking animals, or much else detrimental.  That was what I have found too.  This was an simply an open discussion to see which way folks went and why, but not intended to sway anyone either direction or do the usual attack statements because it is not your way.

My dad had a problem when I hunt with him about whispering in the woods. A prime example. We were set up on a hot gobbler really fired up. Double/ triple gobbling. He hung up at about 75-100 yards and would not cross a small swamp and come through some thick new growth aspen. We got up and planned moved. I whispered the plan to him as the turkey was still gobbling letting us know he was still there. He confirmed the plan in a low normal voice. I cringed and signaled him to lower his voice.That was it no more gobbles.

We continued with the plan circled around the aspen and swamp and set up in the older growth timber he was in. Took about a half hour for the move. That turkey that was tearing it up never made a sound. I called for a bit and nothing. We moved a little closer and called some more. Nothing. Sat for a while waiting on some sort of sign the gobbler was still there. Finally we gave up and and left. On the way out I wanted to check on where the bird was gobbling from. We got about 50 yds from where I thought he was and the gobbler erupted from the under brush and flew over a grove of tamarack. The bird was hammering like no other an hour and a half ago and went silent the moment my dad made the mistake. He whispers while we are hunting now.

You'll have to tell me again how it don't matter. It's not old school, its experience. You go ahead and keep on growing, talk in the woods, leaves more for the rest of us "old school" hunters.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

crow

Quote from: Sir-diealot on May 09, 2022, 05:37:24 PM
Quote from: barry on May 09, 2022, 11:52:08 AM
Quote from: guesswho on May 08, 2022, 05:39:17 PM
Whisper

Sign language!
Have used it deer hunting to let somebody know a deer is coming to their stand. May not be the normal stuff, raise orange hat so person can see you, put hand with thumbs to head to indicate buck coming and maybe direction if trail splits.

Where I grew up that exact hand signal means " don't shoot, I'll marry your daughter"

Sixes

You guys always make me realize that I have no friends that turkey hunt.

Doesn't matter if I whisper, speak normal or scream, no one will hear me, because I will be alone.

Y'all make me sad ;D

Howie g

My 8 year old calls it our hunting voices ... keep the volume down.

paboxcall

Quote from: Howie g on May 09, 2022, 11:31:28 PM
My 8 year old calls it our hunting voices ... keep the volume down.

Many, many years ago, when the Outdoor Channel was still worth watching, my wife would joke I had the "whisper channel" on.

Too many variables out of my control which can blow a hunt, but speaking at normal volume isn't one of them.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

dublelung

The people who speak in the woods with regular volume and tones are the same ones who will make a post asking folks opinion then get mad and delete the post when the answers don't align with themselves.  ;D :toothy12:

CAPTJJ

The so-called president seems to prefer whispering....

Marc

Everyone has their own perspective of hunting, hunting techniques, and woodsmanship.

I have a friend who likes to talk incessantly when hunting...  Duck hunting he quiets up when birds are working, but turkey hunting, I feel it is tough to get a bird to come in.  He feels that the talking is not a negative, and it is part of the enjoyment of hunting with someone else for him...  I feel otherwise.

YouTube videos show some hunters barely talking and using hand-signals...  Other videos lots, and lots of whispering...  I have seen other
videos of birds coming in with guys talking.

I have watched birds in range, seemingly not react at all to whispering...  And I have seen birds get nervous (although there are a number of things that could have been making them nervous).  We would have no idea how many birds heard that whispering and never came in in the first place (if any)???  I do know that sitting quietly (and still) will not scare birds off.

I am a chatterbox socially, but in the woods (whether hunting or fishing), I prefer silence (at least as far as humans go).  The sounds of the woods (or the silence) is my mental therapy, that keeps me off a therapists couch...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

BDeal

There is no reason to talk at normal volume in the woods  in my opinion unless you are not terribly  interested in killing a bird.