OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Daughter’s First Turkey

Started by Marc, April 30, 2022, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chadly

Good job toboth of you.  Its so fun to see kids in the field and making memories. 

eggshell

That was a great story and congrats to your daughter. I hope you share many more seasons together, until the scenario is flipped. Here's the future conversation:

Daughter -Dad he's coming right there get ready
Old Dad - Huh what did ya say
Daughter- shhh Dad you'll spook the bird
Dad- What, speak up
Daughter- Shoot him Dad
Dad- I can't move that far over right
Daughter- Dad shoot him, NOW
Dad- I got a cramp, then boom and your looking around to see where your glasses went
Daughter - Running after half dead Gobbler and ringing his neck. Finally she returns with the gobbler to find dad wiping blood from his cheek
Dad- I got em huh
Daughter- yeah, I love Dad and you all hug

I am glad you had a good hunt. I messed up with my oldest daughter. when I took her I was way to intense with her and we had a similar conversation only I wasn't as careful with my words and as supportive. My intensity soured her on turkey hunting with dad, so she quit going. I was young and dumb and regret it.

Well done

Yoder409

OUTSTANDING !!!!!!!!!    :icon_thumright:

CONGRATS to you both !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Marc

Quote from: eggshell on May 01, 2022, 07:59:42 AM

I am glad you had a good hunt. I messed up with my oldest daughter. when I took her I was way to intense with her and we had a similar conversation only I wasn't as careful with my words and as supportive. My intensity soured her on turkey hunting with dad, so she quit going. I was young and dumb and regret it.

Well done

Thank you for the kind words.  I started them young, and realized quickly that girls are A LOT different than boys...  I learned early to bite my tongue and try to make it fun.

Kierra messed up a few times on previous hunts and spoiled opportunities...  Had to take a deep breath a couple times, and realize that she did NOT want to mess things up.  On the rides home, I would first compliment her on the genuine things she did right, and then "discuss" what we could do differently next time.  I KNOW that were I to correct her in the moment, that it would come off harshly (due to my own intensity).  (The exception is gun safety...  That gets corrected swiftly and with authority)

One one hunt we had birds drumming right next to us...  We are sitting dead quiet for some time (cause I assume she knows what drumming birds sound like), and she decides to stretch at the exact wrong moment.  Later when I asked her if she heard the drumming, she asked me to describe it...  And she replied "I thought those were frogs."

We went home, and watched some videos with turkey sounds besides yelping and gobbling...  Putting, clucking, purring, and other sounds that most (normal non-hunters) would not associate with turkeys.

When I hunt by myself or with another avid hunter, it is all about the hunting experience and the challenges that come with the attempt to successfully fill tags/limits within the bounds of my own ethics.  I am intense and focused about it.

With two girls, and attempting to create "experiences" and hopefully a future enjoyment of the outdoors, I have learned to tone down that intensity...

After duck or dove hunting, we go for a quad ride (letting the kids drive), go out for pancakes after...  Do some BB-gun practice...  The last time Kierra went turkey hunting as a tag-along, we came across a small pond with frogs, and spent about an hour trying to catch frogs (which was tough when I was hearing a bird gobbling over the next ridge).

So...  Your point is well taken.  Taking a kid hunting, is all about creating a sense of enjoyment about the outdoors and (hopefully) spending time with dad...  Girls are different than boys, and you have to be willing to trade a good hunt for a good experience...  Which are often two totally different things when it comes to children.  I have made my own mistakes here as well.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

grayfox

Congrats to both of you! Great memories like that you both will always remember.

Wisgobbler

Fantastic!!!  Atta girl!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChesterCopperpot

That's awesome! Congrats to her and you. You'll remember that forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Dang, how did I miss this?  My favorites threads.   She did good, real good!!!   Congrats to you both.  I hope this is the first of many.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Aaron Johnson

That's the good stuff.  Congratulations!

GobblerReaper

Awesome and huge congrats young lady!

High plains drifter

Tom007

Congrats to the young lady, great job....

3bailey3