turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Daughter’s First Turkey

Started by Marc, April 30, 2022, 07:58:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Finally go my oldest out this season with a shotgun...  Took a bit for the birds to cooperate, and it is significantly more difficult to get a bird with an 11 year old.

We had action every trip, and this was her fourth trip in the field.  We had an encounter or two each time, and while the birds were with hens, we had a bird or two break off each time for a close call.

This particular morning, we had two birds come in behind us, and they were drumming about 20 yards away behind an obstruction...  Meanwhile, we had a couple coming right up the pipe in front of us (where I hoped they would come), and one coming in hard from the left as well.

She was used to hearing a bird or two gobble, and now total chaos...   The two coming up the pipe turned tail, as the two behind us finally presented a shot...

Me (whispering): Shoot one when you can.
Her: OK
Me: Shoot
Her: Now?
Me: Yes
Her: Which one?
Me (whispering with intensity now): THE CLOSEST ONE!
Her: BOOM!

What started off as a 25 yard shot (slightly to her right), ended up being a 35 yard shot (slightly to her left)...  Talking to her later, she said she was scared to miss, and she was twisted up.

Luckily, as they were making haste, I clucked, and they picked their heads up, to give her a shot...  Frankly, I was surprised at how much yardage they had gained on us when she did shoot.

Thanks to some members giving advice on how to post photos...  I would have done so earlier, but figure better late than never!

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Muzzy61

Congrats to the young lady and dad!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Happy

Congrats! Love the hat!

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Zobo

Congratulations!!! Great pictures!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

tomstopper

That's awesome. Congratulations to your daughter and you too. Have taken a lot of youths out but by far my two favorite are my daughter's.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Fantastic, Marc!  Great pictures, and what a wonderful experience with your daughter!   :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Yoteduster

Good for her congrats on a nice gobbler

RutnNStrutn

That's fantastic!!!
Congrats to both of you!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Congratulations.  Nothing better than kids getting good birds.

Turkeybutt

Congratulations on your first bird young lady!
Way to go dad.
Great photos and memories you will never forget.

ElkTurkMan

Congrats to both of you on a great hunt and great memory neither one of you will ever forget. Great pictures also !

Goblen

Congratulations to you daughter. Glad to see you where able to get the pictures posted.

JeffC

Congrats to the young lady. I hope for many more in your hunting future. Awesome job Dad on story and pictures.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Sixes

Great bird and smile on the young lady!