Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's happen to the birds in Chadron Nebraska Area ?

Started by topnotch, April 26, 2022, 02:26:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Treerooster

Been hunting the Pine Ridge area since the mid 90's. Was up there earlier this spring and yes, something is wrong with the turkey population there. Way down in the areas I hunted. The population has been going steadily downhill as of late, but this is a drop off.

husker

It's not just the NW part of the state.  I hunt the SE part of Nebraska and I'm not seeing birds.   This is the first year in over 7 years I haven't scored on opening weekend.  Populations are definitely down, IMO.   I think over hunting and predators are main reasons.   There are rumors that Game & Parks is going to reduce the 3 bird limit and possibly raise non-resident fees for next year.  I think that's very much needed.  We've ruined a great thing. 

Improvinghunter101

I'll say the internet is definitely the issue.  It also doesn't help with the three bird limit and the money the state of Nebraska puts into advertising.  Seems like no matter what page I go to, there is an ad for Nebraska turkey hunting.  I did try it out a few years ago later in the season just out of curiosity.   Never heard a bird on public gobble.  Spoke with a biologist and some other people that said they spot and stalk due to them not gobbling.  I went through some amazing looking ground and never heard a peep.  Have no plans to ever go back. 

tracker vi

Not to hijack this thread, But another board I frequent has a NO HOTSPOTTING RULE, State names only. Threads get deleted and repeat offenders banned.

GobbleNut

Quote from: tracker vi on April 27, 2022, 12:38:33 PM
Not to hijack this thread, But another board I frequent has a NO HOTSPOTTING RULE, State names only. Threads get deleted and repeat offenders banned.

See cyber scouting stickie at the top...   :)

Treerooster

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 27, 2022, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: tracker vi on April 27, 2022, 12:38:33 PM

See cyber scouting stickie at the top...   :)

But is it enforced? This thread mainly has a negative aspect to it so not a real problem. But there is a post in here that should be deleted along with all the posts that quoted it..

I do realize there hasn't been much time yet for action yet.

CowHunter71

You can't expect those domesticated Turkeys in them Western states to last very long in any place they tried to transplant them :z-guntootsmiley:

nativeks

Same thing happened here a decade ago with the hotspotting. I remember someone on here saying Kansas was a place the internet killed. Chalk another up.

joey46

How about from now on it is only acceptable to say "east of the Mississippi" or "west of the Mississippi".  Maybe start a forum police force?  Some of these post are a real hoot. :TrainWreck1:

eggshell

Hotspot Notice - The highest density of turkeys in the USA is in Washington DC. they are thick as flies on a road kill on a summer day.  :funnyturkey:

joey46

Just an IMO but a one bird limit for all non-res in any state with a declining population is almost a no brainer.  My current home state of Florida still allows two even though it seems the non-res outnumber the residents about 2 to 1 during the first week of the south (wiley Osceola) zone season. The $2500 per bird guides are more than happy to oblidge that 2nd bird.  Seeing pictures, such as those displayed on other threads, with three or four guys buried in multiple dead birds is a real headshaker.  What's the point? None in the pictures looked emaciated.  They couldn't be that hungry for roast turkey or dumb enough not to realize not all would be thrilled with this display.

Old Gobbler

Guys ... I made a post on the top of the forum

When you post something up on the internet...that means the entire world sees it , that includes here , yt, Facebook whatever ....the time of social responsibility is upon us stop name dropping areas it has and will completely destroy areas with swarms of people who are watching
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Howie g

Soooo , we keep saying there's no name "area " dropping etc .
Yet the post is still here for everyone to see !. 
I just don't get it !!!!   Almost every you tuber is complaining on there shows about how many hunters are on the public there on ,, yet they tell you what state there in every other sentence!! 

aclawrence

Quote from: Stoeger_bird on April 26, 2022, 03:15:26 PM
In all seriousness this forum, other forums, social medias, youtube, and whatever else there is out their happened to that area. People just can't keep their mouths shut. They find a good thing and want to tell everyone. It's my opinion a lot of people do it to make themselves sound like some great amazing hunter. And it's happening all over  the USA now. What happened to going to place, having a good hunt , and leaving it at that. Let's stop telling the whole damn world.
I agree this is part of the problem. Did y'all listen to the turkey hunter podcast with Chubbs where he was talking about the guy sending one of his friends a bunch of pins. The guy didn't even know his friend but sent him a bunch of waypoints where gobblers were. That's just ridiculous and people doing that should be drug behind a horse.  The need for social recognition is running strong in a lot of guys. I'm really hating all the hashtags #2 or #4 or #taggedout. Nobody cares!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chad Gus715

I'm glad i got to hunt that area before the internet and social media blew it up.