turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Turkey Roadkills

Started by Cowboy, April 20, 2022, 11:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cowboy

I went back to work today after taking off a few days to chase some gobblers. Noticed a roadkill gobbler in the edge of the road. So as I'm crying over that one I came upon another one 3 or 4 miles down the road!! Also could weeks ago, the wife said one had been hit near her work ( Different County). Brings up the question how many roadkills do the rest of you guys see?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

btomlin

Saw a dead hen on centerline of highway yesterday.  Not sure if flew into a vehicle or was trying to run across road.

makestomstremble

Saw a gobbler last week laying in the ditch, figured someone had poached and dumped (season wasn't open yet), but after closer inspection could see he had been hit at the edge of the blacktop road and thrown about 25 feet down the ditch. I also saw a hen about a month ago flattened on another county blacktop road. I would say I see about one per year on average here in NW Oklahoma.

fallhnt

1 years ago. Know of 2 others.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

tbowers

Plenty in WI...I pick them up if they look fresh and throw em in the freezer. Free turkey dinner.

callmakerman

Quote from: tbowers on April 20, 2022, 02:07:33 PM
Plenty in WI...I pick them up if they look fresh and throw em in the freezer. Free turkey dinner.
Or if they're hens or jakes I grab the wing bones for call making friends.

Flatbottomarky

I've only seen maybe 3 or 4 that I can think of. I can remember 1 few years ago that I narrowly missed.

Sent from my moto g stylus (2021) using Tapatalk

Haypatch

I Dont believe i've ever seen a road kill turkey!

ChesterCopperpot

I rarely see gobblers hit. I tend to see hens hit. But I probably see four or five a year. I always stop and check the wings. We don't have a fall season and can't shoot hens, so that's my avenue to hen bones. Hate seeing it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Hardly ever down here AL/GA.   I may see one every three or four years.   And the few I have seen have been laying in the road instead of on the edge.   Wouldn't surprise me if a couple of them didn't fall out of someone's truck.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

3bailey3

I have come close 4 times and had brakes locked up and still almost hit them, it was 1 gobbler the rest hens.

RiverBuck

There must be a kamikaze gene in Virginia turkeys. I've seen 2 on the side of the road this past week. Slammed on the brakes last year and love tapped a hen that flew across my windshield.

bigriverbum

Quote from: 3bailey3 on April 20, 2022, 06:57:11 PM
I have come close 4 times and had brakes locked up and still almost hit them, it was 1 gobbler the rest hens.

squash them and move on with your day. not worth risking an accident

last year my 10 year old nephew lost a classmate and her grandmother when they swerved after trying to miss a turkey

i've only ever seen a few in my life. the ones in smokey mountain nat'l park probably get hit a alot. tame birds lol

Kylongspur88

Several each year, but more this year than past year's. Counted 3 last weekend. Maybe it indicates more birds?? Or maybe birds are having to travel more to find other birds?? Either way I hate to see it.

catman529

Every now and again. The majority of roadkill turkeys I see happen in March before the season opens, when the winter flocks start fighting and breaking up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro