OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pushing Season Start Dates Back...

Started by redleg06, April 20, 2022, 10:16:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PNWturkey

Quote from: Hook hanger on April 22, 2022, 06:47:44 PM
States might as well go to a fall gobbler only season!

IMO, in a state with a declining turkey population, it's hard to justify shooting hens in the fall...

TauntoHawk

Quote from: PNWturkey on April 22, 2022, 08:54:06 PM
Quote from: Hook hanger on April 22, 2022, 06:47:44 PM
States might as well go to a fall gobbler only season!

IMO, in a state with a declining turkey population, it's hard to justify shooting hens in the fall...
I'd be fine dropping killing hens nation wide

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

grayfox

I don't know if delaying the opening day 1-2 weeks is helping or not. But since they started delaying the season here in Alabama where I been hunting the turkey hunting has gotten a lot worse in my opinion. Most of the gobbling usually goes on the most the first week or two of season. For many years every since I started turkey hunting season always started March 15th. This year it didn't start until April 1st & you can't hunt past 1:00. I heard one turkey gobble 2-3 times & shut up on opening morning & haven't heard a gobble since. I wish they would have left opening day on March 15th like it has been for years & reduced the bag limit to maybe 1-2 birds per season. And I went last week & they had been burning some more. This ain't the first time they have burned in April which to my understanding is when they start nesting.

arkrem870

Where is the research that shows eggs going unfertilized?

Arkansas has been on the late season pattern for 10+ years with no improvements. . Nest predation is the elephant in the room
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Izzyjoe

Howie g

Quote from: arkrem870 on April 24, 2022, 08:22:03 AM

Arkansas has been on the late season pattern for 10+ years with no improvements. . Nest predation is the elephant in the room
Pushing season dates back in La has helped from what I see .
  But I agree , nest predators are a huge issue .

TrackeySauresRex

Quote from: Tom007 on April 21, 2022, 10:59:40 AM
NJ pushed the opener later by one week. We will see how this works out in the long run. Hopefully it allows more hens to get bred.

This happened a while ago in Nj. I believe it was around 2010. Around that time we were having record harvest numbers. Loss of habitat and miss management of the flock are definitely major issues here in this state. The northern zones are suffering pretty bad. We are witnessing a major decline in this state. It's no way even close to what it was. I'm no biologist. However... I would support this decision for the future.
:turkey:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

redleg06

Quote from: arkrem870 on April 24, 2022, 08:22:03 AM

https://aonmag.com/hunting/start-turkey-season-later-research-advisory-board/

I don't know how to make that a hyperlink so just copy and paste it into your browser. It's a long read but really interesting.

JohnSouth22

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 21, 2022, 12:58:30 AM
Quote from: silvestris on April 20, 2022, 10:14:46 PM
Again, too many people.  When the illegals start hunting them, it will be a total goat rodeo.
Why don't you do your part, and give up turkey hunting? For the good of the species?

great point. everyone loves to complain about increased pressure in their areas but then will go burn through other states

silvestris

I don't travel to hunt; Louisiana and accross the Big Muddy in Mississippi.  I don't have to go far to recognize the problem, and the problem is  not going anywhere.  Too many takers chasing a finite resource.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

turkey_slayer

Quote from: guesswho on April 22, 2022, 06:26:39 PM
You take an animal that's not that hard to kill to begin with, then increase pressure, reduce habitat and deploy tactics to make them even easier to kill!   What could possibly go wrong?    I start seeing breeding in mid to late February every year.   I saw my first poults of the year this week.    I don't think moving the starting dates back are going to correct the trend we are seeing.   In my opinion they're chasing the wrong rabbit.   
This. Turkeys are the easiest big game to kill by far and the tactics used are much more successful. The increase in the amount of hunters in the last few years is astonishing. It seems like it's tripled since the social media boom

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

redleg06

Quote from: turkey_slayer on April 27, 2022, 09:14:53 AM
You take an animal that's not that hard to kill to begin with, then increase pressure, reduce habitat and deploy tactics to make them even easier to kill!   What could possibly go wrong?    I start seeing breeding in mid to late February every year.   I saw my first poults of the year this week.    I don't think moving the starting dates back are going to correct the trend we are seeing.   In my opinion they're chasing the wrong rabbit.   
This. Turkeys are the easiest big game to kill by far and the tactics used are much more successful. The increase in the amount of hunters in the last few years is astonishing. It seems like it's tripled since the social media boom

There's no doubt... How do we go about making dove and snipe hunting cool again???

Someone get a youtube channel started about that -  TDHP has a nice ring to it...The Dove Hunting Project

bigriverbum

are there no deer in virginia?

Sir-diealot

I have been seeing them strutting since late March here in NY most say their prime breeding season starts before our May 1 opener and we are getting the tail end of the breeding season. I am not 100% sure I agree with that but normally at the end of the season it is pretty dead around here, though I did have 5 jakes come out the last day of the season last year to my calling. On a good note I saw a tom strutting and gobbling while I was setting my blind up a week ago tomorrow, it was close to 5 in the evening so I hope there will be some morning action there as well.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

turkey_slayer

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 29, 2022, 09:08:19 PM

are there no deer in virginia?
Where I hunt? Very few.  Once the bear population exploded 20 years ago they've took a massive hit.  Virginia actually just completed a study on fawn survival.  Bears were responsible for 70% of the mortality.  Of the 62 fawns coyotes only got 1, bobcat 3 and bears got the rest.  I do hunt in probably the poorest habitat in the whole state tho. It's really just fit for bear. Steep, rocky and full of rhododendron

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk