turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What time do your birds wake up?

Started by jhoward11, April 19, 2022, 07:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

Got up this morning, went outside and heard the birds hammering. Still dark. Not even getting light on the horizon yet. Got me thinking... how early do you all get out into the woods? At this rate I'll need to be in blind with decoys out an hour before it starts getting light on the horizon. That's probably 1 1/2 hr or 2 before shooting. I'm guessing they can see walk in the dark if they are awake?  Yikes...will be a short nights sleep starting next week.

fallhnt

If you're hunting a field and they are roosted on the edge, yes. Be early not late.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Bolandstrutters

Every now and then I'll have one too excited to sleep and let one rip a good 45 minutes before a hint of daylight.  For the most part they start to gobble about 5:40 and fly down right at 6.  I had 3 gobblers fly down in the pitch dark and come in about ten years ago it was absolutely bizarre.  Out in South Dakota I've heard them gobbling as early as 3am. 

J.D. Shellnut

Here in la. around daylight some before. Sometimes not at all!!! In tx ive heard them gobble at 5am and that was when I got up they probably had been doing it.
60% of the time it works every time!

joey46

Use a sunrise/sunset app and try and be set up at what is shown as Nautical Sunrise.  This morning actual sunrise was 7am.  Nautical sunrise 6:08am.  If I wasn't set up or standing around in the area we're hunting listening at 6:08 I'd have considered us late.  An owl hoot at Nautical Sunrise often gets a gobble.  :OGturkeyhead:

Yoder409

Quote from: joey46 on April 19, 2022, 09:21:24 AM
Use a sunrise/sunset app and try and be set up at what is shown as Nautical Sunrise.  This morning actual sunrise was 7am.  Nautical sunrise 6:08am.  If I wasn't set up or standing around in the area we're hunting listening at 6:08 I'd have considered us late.  An owl hoot at Nautical Sunrise often gets a gobble.  :OGturkeyhead:

BINGO !!!!!!!     :z-winnersmiley:

Easter Sunday first gobble was at 6:05........a minute or two off of nautical sunrise.   
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

lacire

Quote from: joey46 on April 19, 2022, 09:21:24 AM

We used to call that the crack of dawn, we try to walk in and be set up about a half hour before, that's at the latest.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

kloppy

This past weekend in VA, they were gobbling at 5:40 am in the pitch black on Saturday. On Sunday, they didnt get started until after 6:20. The weather was pretty similar each day, not sure what the difference was.

Last Frontier Hunter

In MN if it's clear out they're gobbling at 5:30. If it's cloudy it's been more toward 6.
When I start hearing Sandhill cranes going, the turkeys usually join in

High plains drifter

Quote from: Bolandstrutters on April 19, 2022, 08:00:46 AM
Every now and then I'll have one too excited to sleep and let one rip a good 45 minutes before a hint of daylight.  For the most part they start to gobble about 5:40 and fly down right at 6.  I had 3 gobblers fly down in the pitch dark and come in about ten years ago it was absolutely bizarre.  Out in South Dakota I've heard them gobbling as early as 3am.
That's true.I have heard very early gobbling in south Dakota.

28roper

Go up and hunt in New England in late May, getting in early is next to impossible when they begin to fire up at 3:45 and 4:00 AM.

Turkeybutt

At lease 1 or 1.5 hours before dawn or what I call "Oh Dark Thirty". Some call it 'The "Butt Crack of Dawn".
Get there early enough to get set up and comfortable.
If you are "Early, you're on time. If you get in the woods "On Time" you are LATE!

NCL

Have heard them gobble an hour before sunrise but for the most part it is usually about 20 to 30 minutes prior to sunrise as has been mentioned

Turkeyman

Generally turkeys are not the first birds you'll hear in the morning. Over time I'd say it's 15 or 20 minutes after I hear the first birds I would expect to hear a turkey. Plus as the season wears on and you're into full leaf-out you may not hear one until sunrise.

GobbleNut

Don't have a lot to add, except that from what I have seen, Rios and Merriam's seem to start gobbling considerably earlier in the morning than the other subspecies.  They are also more likely prone to gobble on the roost in the evening as well. 
...And as others have said, it is better to be an hour too early in the morning than it is to be five minutes too late...   :D :icon_thumright: