OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What time do your birds wake up?

Started by jhoward11, April 19, 2022, 07:18:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

They woke up about 6:15 this morning. 
We had some state biologist on my lease trapping, banding and putting trackers on some birds  He said our birds stay on the roost later than any birds he's ever seen.  Said in Feb they often didn't come down till 8am.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

grayfox

Must not be waking up at all where I hunt. Heard one bird gobble a couple times a little after 6:00 the first day which was April 1st. Been three times since & haven't heard a single gobble.

Greg Massey

Around 6 - 6:15 ... most of the time in my area... regardless i like to be in the area about an hour before daylight ...

ChesterCopperpot

We're late, but it's mountains. 6:30 earliest, but usually 6:45 going good. Fly down at 7 to 7:15. All of that dependent on fog which we have a whole lot. If it's foggy, when the fog starts burning off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Gobbling 5:30, hit ground 5:45 ish.  In late season, gobbling at 5, hit ground 5:15.......

AndyH

The days I've scouted this spring I haven't heard one gobble on the limb, for some reason this spring they hit the ground and then gobble. Interested to see if this trend continues once the season starts on Saturday

AppalachianHollers

Quote from: AndyH on April 19, 2022, 09:01:34 PM
The days I've scouted this spring I haven't heard one gobble on the limb, for some reason this spring they hit the ground and then gobble. Interested to see if this trend continues once the season starts on Saturday

Around here it's been rare to hear one on the limb before legal shooting light.

roosterstraw

They usually start around 6 where I hunt.

Tom Threetoes

When I first started turkey hunting in the mid to late '80s they would start while it was still pitch dark. As the time passed and hunting pressure increased they started gobbling later, now they seldom gobble before they can see their landing spot.