News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Help picking a shot gun please

Started by bcuda, April 12, 2022, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bcuda

Hello all I have decided that my 12 gauge is just too hard on my shoulder
and am wanting to go with a smaller gauge to give my shoulder some relief.
I am not sure what to decide on what to get a 20, 28 or 410 gauge. I do want
it to be a pump or semi auto. I will use TSS so any of these three gauges
would work I think. I would like to hear from all you turkey hunters
out there on your thoughts on what gauge you would choose if were to use TSS.
Please no don't bash me for using TSS. Also if you have a certain gun in mind
please mention it I am kind of partial to the Remington 870.

ChesterCopperpot

20ga has the most ammo options and typically the most ammo available. I'd suggest an auto as that would further reduce recoil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

USMC0331

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 12, 2022, 04:58:51 PM
20ga has the most ammo options and typically the most ammo available. I'd suggest an auto as that would further reduce recoil.

Factual information!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

g8rvet

Youth model 870 in 20 gauge is a breeze to carry.  Options to rig it out are inexpensive.  With a Trulock or Sumtoy choke, you can get crazy good numbers.  I rigged one up for my daughter and will pass it on to her son one day.

I have a Weatherby SA 459 Turkey and I like it.  Breeze to carry, shoots well, needs a Trulock or Sumtoy though-factory choke is not too impressive.  Not crazy about the ghost ring sight, but I have never missed with it.  If you are red dot inclined it has a rail.

I really want a double trigger OU in 20 that has screw in chokes, but it has been tough to find. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

spaightlabs

Recoil is a simple equation involving the the weight of the gun and the weight and speed of the payload.

As Chester points out, an auto will reduce flat recoil, a gas operated auto even more so.

A heavy gun will recoil less than a light gun, and if you pack as much payload into a a 20 as you would a 12, it will recoil the same.  The 1.5 and 1 5.8 ounce TSS loads at 1100/1000 FPS in 20 are pretty soft shooters.

If you are shooting a 12 and 3.5s with heavy payload at higher velocity, it's gonna kick.

A Rem 10 ga is actually a very light shooting gun, but you gotta be willing to carry a lot of weight around.

You don't say where you hunt, so be sure to check state regs as some states limit the smallest bore you can take afield.

Ranman

I started using TSS years ago with a Remington 870 20ga. It is flat out a turkey thumper.. I have used a Benelli Montefeltro 20ga for a couple seasons, but always seem to go back to the trusty 870. It is a youth model with a 21" barrel. Parts and accessories are readily available. Good luck, I also think a Remington 870in 28ga would be nice..

Yoder409

The gas-operated Winchester Super X4 in 20 gauge is a top shelf gun and will be very easy on the shoulder.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

3bailey3

WV Flopper

A Mossberg in anything kicks. They are an exception to the weight, load, speed,  recoil calculation.

Lots of good guns out there in any of the sub gauges. Look at options and price if an issue. This may start to narrow it down for you.

You left a lot of room in your ask. To make my point: 2700$ SB3 custom to a Savage 301 at 300$. Depends on you. Lots of good guns on both ends of that.

I will agree the 20g seems to be easy to buy ammo for. Lots of different guys selling shells and someone more than likely will have shells in stock.

RND1983

Franchi Affinity 3 20 gauge. Already comes drilled and tapped. Put a Sumtoy mount and a fastfire 3. Get a Sumtoy .580 and shoot Foxtrot Crusher 9's. This is a hard to beat combo.

Or if you want to spend a little extra an m2 20 gauge with a Sumtoy .562 is lethal. My buddy shoot burgess creek 9's out of it with great results. You'll have to get it drilled and tapped.

chadly

Quote from: USMC0331 on April 12, 2022, 05:15:41 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 12, 2022, 04:58:51 PM

Factual information!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

x2 ammo available is huge.  Plus there are way more options in guns in a 20 than 28 or 410.  Another thing to consider is how much hiking and time does you gun hang on your shoulder.  While a lighter gun will have more kick it is also easier to carry. My current turkey gun is so heavy that I get sore carrying it.  The recoil does not bother me. 

vt35mag

If you travel, you may want to check the states you go to, or are thinking about going to, and make sure 28ga and 410 are legal to use. Might impact your decision on what gauge to get.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

Franchi Affinity has already been mentioned and it's a solid choice.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Paulmyr

Picked up a stoeger 3020 about  month and half ago.
2 lbs lighter than the 12 gauge super mag. Gotta feeling I'm gonna like carrying this gun around.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Jroddc

Quote from: Yoder409 on April 12, 2022, 07:43:56 PM
The gas-operated Winchester Super X4 in 20 gauge is a top shelf gun and will be very easy on the shoulder.
This would be my choice for a 20. Another that's comparable and little less expensive is Mossberg SA-20