OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help picking a shot gun please

Started by bcuda, April 12, 2022, 04:50:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RED NECK

Three 20 gauges that come to mind, for me I purchased a Rem 1187 youth compact with a 21" barrel, Winchester sx4 longbeard with a 24" barrel and a Weatherby sa-459 with a 22" and the pistol grip. I like all 3 but I think my favorite would be the Weatherby, if you can find one, as I believe they discontinued them a year or so ago.

The 20 gauge is going to be hard to beat for what you are looking for in a new gun. Enjoy the search.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

Old Gobbler

You would be surprised how hard a lightweight 20 gauge can actually kick , I have a youth 20 gauge pump that by far recoils much harder than my Remington or Ithaca 10 gauges , gas autos have a way of soaking up recoil 

You don't always have to use those 3.5 or 3 inch shells   ..you can go lighter with the payload
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

the Ward

Beretta A300 20 gauge with kick-off stock. Think they are around $800. It's probably going to be
the least recoil in a usable gun. Weight and recoil are subjective for sure. I just can't wrap my head around thinking a 7 lb gun as being too heavy.

Paulmyr

Quote from: the Ward on April 13, 2022, 10:58:45 AM
Beretta A300 20 gauge with kick-off stock. Think they are around $800. It's probably going to be
the least recoil in a usable gun. Weight and recoil are subjective for sure. I just can't wrap my head around thinking a 7 lb gun as being too heavy.
Hold at the ready to fire position for 10 mins  waiting for a shot with no support that 7 lbs feels like 100. I'm lucky if I can make it a couple mins before arms start burning and shaking.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

WV Flopper

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 13, 2022, 01:32:41 PM

Probably would be easier to learn when to raise the gun than hold it for ten minutes at ready.
Hold at the ready to fire position for 10 mins  waiting for a shot with no support that 7 lbs feels like 100. I'm lucky if I can make it a couple mins before arms start burning and shaking.

Tail Feathers

The softest shooting 20 gauge I've ever handled is a Winchester SX3.  The SX4 is out now and said to be a soft shooter too. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Marc

Quote from: spaightlabs on April 12, 2022, 05:23:09 PM
Recoil is a simple equation involving the the weight of the gun and the weight and speed of the payload.

As Chester points out, an auto will reduce flat recoil, a gas operated auto even more so.

A heavy gun will recoil less than a light gun, and if you pack as much payload into a a 20 as you would a 12, it will recoil the same.  The 1.5 and 1 5.8 ounce TSS loads at 1100/1000 FPS in 20 are pretty soft shooters.

If you are shooting a 12 and 3.5s with heavy payload at higher velocity, it's gonna kick.

A Rem 10 ga is actually a very light shooting gun, but you gotta be willing to carry a lot of weight around.

You don't say where you hunt, so be sure to check state regs as some states limit the smallest bore you can take afield.

Great information there!

Stick with the 20 gauge for a sub-gauge hunting gun though...  They are more versatile, and ammunition is far easier to find, and considerably more affordable than other sub-gauges you mentioned.

As far as what type of gun (pump, inertia auto, or gas-operation)...  Depends on what you want to reduce...  Recoil or weight?

I use a 20 gauge for a number of upland situations, due to carrying less weight, and being able to shoulder the gun quicker...  I use a gas-operated gun, as it allows for faster follow-up shots with good recoil reduction, and is still considerably lighter than a 12 gauge.

A light 20 gauge with stout loads can kick every bit as much as a heavier 12 gauge.

An inertia gun will often be lighter in weight than a gas-operated gun, but the gas-operation reduces recoil far better.  Inertia guns are easier to clean, and "generally" more reliable than inertia guns though.

The 870 is a light, reliable weapon, but it is a recoil heavy gun.

For turkey hunting, and the prospect of possibly shooting one shell, I am not all that concerned with recoil...  Turkey hunting is the perfect scenerio for a pump shotgun.  But looking at some of the loads out there, Boss makes a 2 oz 20 ga. load, and there is no way I would shoot that out of a pump, nor would l let either of my kids shoot those loads at all!

Most wing-shooting involves some degree of volume shooting, and I would not shoot a pump for waterfowl or dove with the stout steel loads we are currently shooting.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Prohunter3509

I shoot m2 20 ga. Outstanding
Then I got tristar 410 ic choke it's crazy good

Paulmyr

Quote from: WV Flopper on April 13, 2022, 07:45:57 PM

Probably would be easier to learn when to raise the gun than hold it for ten minutes at ready.
Yeah, ok, because after 30 years I'm still learning! Any other hit tips.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

the Ward

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 13, 2022, 09:21:38 PM
Quote from: WV Flopper on April 13, 2022, 07:45:57 PM

Yeah, ok, because after 30 years I'm still learning! Any other hit tips.

I didn't put the "learn when to lift gun" in my post. Somebody else did when they quoted me.
You make a valid point on gun weight. Can be a bugger for sure holding up a gun waiting for a shot. Been there, done that, not very fun!

Paulmyr

I believe "the Ward" added his reply to your quote.

the Ward

Here is my original post. As you can see there is no "learn to lift gun" line in it.There is also no editing. WV flopper quoted me, so it is likely that he added that line to my post when he quoted me.

cassga

Thats like asking what kind of car to get and the only thing you are certain of is you plan to use 93 octane gas ;D! You are going to get every answer under the sun. The best thing to do is see what fits you the best, then narrow down a choke and ammo combo. Good luck.

g8rvet

Quote from: Marc on April 13, 2022, 09:11:40 PM
Quote from: spaightlabs on April 12, 2022, 05:23:09 PM
Most wing-shooting involves some degree of volume shooting, and I would not shoot a pump for waterfowl or dove with the stout steel loads we are currently shooting.

I have only shot pumps and O/U and I have done very high volume of shooting over the course of the season.  A well balanced gun, properly shouldered, is not a problem.  After 100 rounds of sporting clays, I can feel it though. 

For turkey hunting, I think pretty much anything in 20 will lower felt recoil, but there are options that are better.  I think the A390 is the lightest felt recoil 20 gauge I have ever shot. Felt like I was shooting a 410 it was so well balanced and smooth.  I am not a good person to ask though, as my first semi shotgun was bought in my early 50s. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

Quote from: cassga on April 14, 2022, 12:35:39 PM
Thats like asking what kind of car to get and the only thing you are certain of is you plan to use 93 octane gas ;D! You are going to get every answer under the sun. The best thing to do is see what fits you the best, then narrow down a choke and ammo combo. Good luck.

Winna winna, turkey dinna
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.