turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

These legs were made for cooking

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 08, 2022, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

Mine typically make it into the pressure cooker, then make soup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cottonmouth

Instant pot for 1hr 15mins with some chicken broth. Shred it and make sandwiches.  I've never tried soup or stew but I'll bet it's good.

The Lung

Great use of an underrated cut of meat. Our's get started by also searing and  deglazing as you mentioned,  then slow-cooked. Meat is pulled and shredded and used for turkey pot pies or turkey tetrazinni. Never goes to waste.

"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

superx2

same season in the slow cooker
delicious !!!!

SM

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 08, 2022, 07:57:44 PM
Quote from: SM on April 08, 2022, 07:01:31 PM
Quote from: roberthyman14 on April 08, 2022, 06:46:42 PM
Give us the recipe for that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Yes !! recipe please.. That looks yummy. 
I usually just throw mine in a crockpot for the day.
Broke the legs down and seared them in the pan. Deglazed the pan with some white wine and then added chicken broth, one chopped onion, and the cannellini beans from the Tuscan Bean Soup package below. Cooked that for six hours at 225. Chopped three carrots, three celery stalks, and another onion and added that to the pot with the seasonings from the Tuscan Bean Soup package and cooked for an additional hour and a half at the same temp. Added some salt and pepper and a little white balsamic to taste. Pulled the meat and chopped it to bite size pieces. That was it.

Thanks..I gotta try that.

toneloc

I slow cook similar, pull, then fry in a little oil to make carnitas....I breasted birds for years before I knew better.  Definitely some great eating with the rest of the bird...and feel better not wasting.

Loyalist84

I've never kept the drums, but I always treated the thighs much the same - cook in a pressure cooker and shred, then throw together a few turkey fajitas for dinner.

justin.arps

We use the insta pot with chicken stock, shred it and make tacos or New Mexico turkey salad it's really good. Diced jalapeƱos. Small can of drained rotel,diced onion and cilantro. One pack of taco seasoning and mayonnaise.

TRG3

In addition to the breast meat, there's white meat on the wings and near the butt of the wing as well. Beside the dark meat in the thighs and legs, there's a couple of chunks on the back also. My wife makes an excellent turkey pot pie out of the breast and other white meat while I put the dark meat in a slow cooker with an abundance of Ray's BBQ sauce and a little water, pulling it all apart after 6 hours on low and nearly as much time on high. After shredding, I add jalapeno slices on my sandwiches. Probably a little Miracle Whip would be nice, too.

Zobo

Quote from: TRG3 on April 10, 2022, 03:05:16 PM
Beside the dark meat in the thighs and legs, there's a couple of chunks on the back also.

Yes, the oysters, they're primo!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

bear hunter

Cottonmouth

Quote from: Zobo on April 10, 2022, 08:28:42 PM
Quote from: TRG3 on April 10, 2022, 03:05:16 PM
Beside the dark meat in the thighs and legs, there's a couple of chunks on the back also.

Yes, the oysters, they're primo!
Sorry, but I draw the line there.

Happy

He isn't referring to mt oysters cottonmouth. Its just 2 little chunks of meat along the top of the back. However don't go knocking mt oysters either. I think they are pretty tasty when fried. Kinda like the fat on a steak.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

bushangler

I'll pass, too much work for too little reward. I would eat it if someone else was making it.

Treerooster

Nice to see a bunch utilizing the legs of a turkey. I certainly do. As far as I know in the states I hunt it is illegal not to use them for human consumption due to wanton waist laws. And it just doesn't seem right to leave almost half the meat from a turkey to maggots.

A crock pot ($15 or$20, less for a used one) will cook the lower legs easily. I set mine on "keep warm" which is 180 degrees (don't want the water to boil) and cook the lower legs for 10 to 12 hours or so. Set it and forget it until time. The meat will very easily pull off the bone and tendons, no knife needed. I use the pulled meat in soup, or hot Italian "beef" for sandwiches, or a casserole. Lots of ways to use it.

The thighs can be made the same as the lower legs or many other ways. I grind them and mix with pork and spices for bulk Italian sausage a lot. I use to make my Italian sausage out of venison but prefer turkey thighs. You can corn the meat  like for corned beef and cabbage. I have even made a nice lean ground meat by mixing the ground thighs with a fatty beef hamburger. Turkey leg burgers on the grill.

Just so many ways to use the meat I can't see waisting it.

I also pull those little pieces of meat from the back and use the upper wing. Wings are cooked like/with the lower legs. I spend hours or even days getting a gobbler, 5 or 10 minutes more cleaning it isn't much time.