turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

These legs were made for cooking

Started by ChesterCopperpot, April 08, 2022, 06:34:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I'll never, ever, EVER in a million years understand why there are still people breasting birds out and leaving the legs for the coyotes. They're dumb as $400 vests. Yesterday they walked him to the barrel. Today they fill our bellies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boatpaddle

Couldn't agree more...

Sent from my SM-A516U using Tapatalk

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

3bailey3

Rapscallion Vermilion

Couldn't agree more.  Cooked properly the legs are fantastic and it is a shame to waste them. My favorites are ground up with pork fat or fatty bacon for burgers or slow cooked/pressure cooked for carnitas.

roberthyman14

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 08, 2022, 06:34:23 PM
I'll never, ever, EVER in a million years understand why there are still people breasting birds out and leaving the legs for the coyotes. They're dumb as $400 vests. Yesterday they walked him to the barrel. Today they fill our bellies.

Give us the recipe for that.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

gmbellew

yep! although I debone and grind the thighs, the legs and wings are great for soups, carnitas, meat over rice, etc. basically anything in a Dutch oven or slow cooker. I normally do 1 wing and 1 leg together to get a mix of white and dark meat in the meal.

SM

Quote from: roberthyman14 on April 08, 2022, 06:46:42 PM
Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 08, 2022, 06:34:23 PM

Yes !! recipe please.. That looks yummy. 
I usually just throw mine in a crockpot for the day.

Happy

Agree wholeheartedly. I view just Breasting out a turkey in the same light as just taking the tenderloin off of a deer. Some darned good eating. Just takes a little work

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

strum

Im with you 100% on this one. We do about the same as you do looks like. These days we use an insta pot.

RED NECK

Looks very tasty, I have made my own similiar homemade soup with the legs. I have to admit, that homemade soup is one of my favorite things to eat, and make. Congrats on the hunt and table fare.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: SM on April 08, 2022, 07:01:31 PM

Broke the legs down and seared them in the pan. Deglazed the pan with some white wine and then added chicken broth, one chopped onion, and the cannellini beans from the Tuscan Bean Soup package below. Cooked that for six hours at 225. Chopped three carrots, three celery stalks, and another onion and added that to the pot with the seasonings from the Tuscan Bean Soup package and cooked for an additional hour and a half at the same temp. Added some salt and pepper and a little white balsamic to taste. Pulled the meat and chopped it to bite size pieces. That was it.

roberthyman14

Quote from: ChesterCopperpot on April 08, 2022, 07:57:44 PM
Quote from: SM on April 08, 2022, 07:01:31 PM

Broke the legs down and seared them in the pan. Deglazed the pan with some white wine and then added chicken broth, one chopped onion, and the cannellini beans from the Tuscan Bean Soup package below. Cooked that for six hours at 225. Chopped three carrots, three celery stalks, and another onion and added that to the pot with the seasonings from the Tuscan Bean Soup package and cooked for an additional hour and a half at the same temp. Added some salt and pepper and a little white balsamic to taste. Pulled the meat and chopped it to bite size pieces. That was it.

Thanks.  Imma have to order some of that. 

ferocious calls

We make pot pies with the leg/thigh meat. I harvested, butchered, ground, boiled the legs and pulled meat and froze 40 Easterns in one day by myself. It was a long day. Lol

Wvdanimal

Kylongspur88

I let mine sit in the fridge a few days then slow cook all day and pull with a little bbq sauce and it makes for good samwiches.