turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you have a "killing spot"?

Started by mountaineer long beard, April 06, 2022, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

I have a couple trees that have produced more than one bird...

But, I have areas that I always go to call from that I get a response from...  I generally have to move, but these are areas I will always stop and call from, and wait 20 minutes before moving on, cause all too often, I find a bird to chase from these spots...

Couple years back, I lost some sunglasses sitting on a fallen log; I looked everywhere for them before I left and could not find them...  Last year I found them inside the log as it had rotted out...  (They must have fallen in a hollow crevice, and as the tree rotted, they became visible)
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Dtrkyman

I have in the past, killed 3 consecutive Missouri birds from the same point in a giant field.  Killed back to back birds a week apart in Illinois from the same tree, both were shot standing up behind the tree.

Countless spots on private I guided that were gold every year.

dzsmith

I think we all have those spots . However eventually .... The well runs dry
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

DocHolliday

Two places on my lease have produced 12 kills and three misses in 17 days. Both spots smaller than half a football field.

Kylongspur88

There's one holler on a property I hunt that will constantly produce birds.

762hunter

Can I have coordinates to these locations

Knew someone would get a kick outta that

Oh and feel free to send a PM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zsully

I don't necessarily have a tree but I do have properties that produce really consistently. Where I hunt in southwest pa it's mostly private ground and the spots aren't very big. I don't know that I've ever killed from the same tree but I've definitely killed birds within 20 yards of a previous set.

Zobo

There's a ridge bottom on a property I hunt that always produces. It defies the conventional wisdom that says it's difficult to call birds down hill. But every year I hunted that spot, gobblers showed at the ridge top and then headed down to the call. I don't really hunt that spot alone anymore, it has become a great "ace in the hole" place to bring the kiddos.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

MK M GOBL

I have a few spots like that on the farms I hunt and kill birds every year from them, one has to be over 30 from the same spot that I take a lot of youth and new hunters too. 

Of course I learned from this and look for the same type set any farm I hunt, it's a killer combo when I find it!

MK M GOBL

Meleagris gallopavo

I did until someone else found it.

I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

ddturkeyhunter

I had a location that produced for me a lot of years in SD BLACK HILL. Until they logged that area and put a road right through under where the roost trees used to be. 

BBR12

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 06, 2022, 04:55:38 PM
Terrain changes here all the time due to timber cutting in Mississippi. We focus on food plots and ridges where they want to be to strut.

Exactly what I was thinking. Tree better not be over 25 yrs old anywhere I hunt in MS or it's gonna get cut. It's actually quite sad and depressing.  I know my kids will never get to hunt near where we live with any consistency because it's all getting turned into short rotation pine thickets.

CAPTJJ

Yes, in multiple states and that's what I call them... killing spots. As a bowhunter the setup is key and when I find a spot that works it often pays to go back.

Central KS walk-in, 4/9/15

Same place, 4/9/18

grayfox

nativeks

Mulberry tree down by the creek. Ive killed alot of turkeys sitting against it. Ive also sat other people against it and called from a walnut just behind it and had them harvest.
My best deer tree is 13 yards away.