turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you have a "killing spot"?

Started by mountaineer long beard, April 06, 2022, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountaineer long beard

I was wondering if any of you have a specific spot that produces for you year after year. I've heard of deer hunters having a "killing tree" and wondered if the same applies to turkeys. By spot i mean a pretty small area that you set up in consistently like maybe a 20 yard area or so.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

joey46

20 yard no.  One acre yes.  On Florida's north zone opener we hunt the same swamp area in any dry year.  Very consistent.

paboxcall

Two specific trees about 10 feet apart.

Buddy who taught me to spring hunt had access to some private ground at that time. Because of the terrain, those two trees we set up against produced 5 years straight.
A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

Muzzy61

I use to have permission to hunt a 80 acre field that had several hundred acres of woods that butted up to it. It had about a 40 yard stretch of the woods  on the backside that  was part of the the field.  There was one huge oak tree that at the base was a opening just big enough to sit inside of it and be almost totally concealed.
There were a couple of other fingers that went out into the field, two opening's that went into other fields, all better looking spots to set up. Over the 5 years I hunted this property I killed 9 birds and all but one came from setting up in that one oak tree.

I always referred to it as the killing tree.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

guesswho

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

cracker4112

I have two.  One place I hunt is mostly hay fields and I have had a ground blind set up for kids and guests in the same two spots for the last five years or so.  We kill birds out of both each season.  This year one from each blind so far.

Haypatch

I used to have a spot that i killed of the same tree 3 consecutive opening mornings!
Man i hated to loose that place!!! :'(

fallhnt

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Yoder409

3 of them that have accounted for a couple dozen birds or more over the years.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

GobbleNut

Yeah, I have a spot or two like that, but I haven't personally hunted them in years.  Anymore, those places are saved for guests, and especially for out-of-state friends who I want to make have their best chance to tag a gobbler when they visit.  Quite honestly, I just get more satisfaction out of the process of finding a gobbler in a place I am not familiar with, and then playing the game,..win or lose,...than I do in hunting a spot where I am pretty certain I can regularly kill a gobbler because of my familiarity with their habits there. 

Of course, I also am fortunate enough to hunt a region where that attitude is possible because of the amount of public land, as well as having a distribution of birds such that my approach to it is feasible.  I know that there are a lot of folks that do not have that luxury. 

Turkeytaker203

I have a place I call the Cove. It is a little section of a huge field that sits back behind a big ditch and a tree line on the west and a river with a steep bluff on the right. The river is lined by trees except for a 20 yard gap. Turkeys roost on the bluff then fly out through the gap in the trees and land in the cove which is about 40 yards wide and 40 yards deep. I've killed more gobblers there than anywhere else. It is a definite killing spot!

Tom007

Yes, I have a tree that is my go to spot to sit and be patient. If I stay there long enough, a Tom will come. It is my best spot, a true Turkey harvesting spot for sure. Never lets me down.... :fud:

justin.arps

I have A favorite tree I set by at least once A season, usually if I don't hear anything in the morning I can eat A snack relax and mid morning, A bird will fire up in earshot of me. Then it's time to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sasha and Abby

Lots of "killing trees"  birds die in the exact same places yearly

Cottonmouth

Terrain changes here all the time due to timber cutting in Mississippi. We focus on food plots and ridges where they want to be to strut.