turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you have a "killing spot"?

Started by mountaineer long beard, April 06, 2022, 11:53:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WildTigerTrout

I did at one time.  Two years in a row during the late morning early in the season I killed a boss gobbler sitting under the SAME tree!  Each one dropped dead within feet of the other the year before.  My how things have changed.  The land was sold to a new owner and he basically added on to a little cabin and made a big house and just about cleared the land.  It was a great strut zone, gone forever now.  It was a great find while it lasted. 
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Chad Gus715

My uncle has a 4 acre field in the middle of his woods, with 2 hardwood ridge surrounding it. Lots of turkey's have died in and around this field.

WV Flopper

I have a copy very productive spots.

greencop01

I've got a spot on public land that abuts a Scout property so all that side is posted. I just sit on the public land side and call toms to my side got birds there 3 of the last four years. Sometimes I go late morning and I have the place all to my self.  :OGturkeyhead:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Burtwill

I have had two so far. One was on a small piece of property we use to own but it was simply because it was the only spot you could set up. It was just a log pile from when the place was clear cut but it sat on the outline of a food plot. There was an indention there and a big tree to put your back against where you sat lower than ground level. It was a really good hiding spot I bet we killed 10 gobblers from that one spot. I have another one now that is a little hill in a fire break that has a huge swamp bottom below. I sit on the hill and usually they walk up either side of it. I have called up birds to that hill multiple times the last few years. The birds cannot see where i call from unless they walk up on the hill which puts them in shooting range.

Ranman

I have a few honey holes that produce year after year. Great places to bring new hunters and kids.

High plains drifter

I have a spot on a crick that I've gotten 5 20+ pound gobblers. I built a blind in the brush during the summer. Last year, a mountain lion was killing turkeys on the crick. I sure hope he's gone! I saw him in the cliffs watching me last spring. This spot brings in birds consistently.

Upfold99

Quote from: Meleagris gallopavo on April 07, 2022, 06:04:26 AM
I did until someone else found it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol..x2

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

bushangler

I have a huge oak on our farm in between two corn fields that a bird has died at on opening day for the last 8 years. I hardly ever hunt the farm anymore because I like going into the mountains on public but for new hunters and youth it's almost a gimme. My daughter missed a gobbler from it this morning.

Greg Massey

I have one spot on the side of a field location,  this year i killed number 14 from this same spot in the field over the years. It's my main go to spot.   

shaman

Oh yeah!  I've got a Honey Hole, and it has been my go-to spot for 16 seasons.  After a short while, it just did not make sense to go anywhere else.  Most years, if I have the opportunity to fill both tags, both tags get filled at the Honey Hole

We have an abandoned county road running through the property.  The old fenceline with massive White Oaks line one side.  There are fields to either side.  My Honey Hole sits on the fenceline such that I have shots out into the pastures on either side.  There is a little knoll that sits just to the north, and this high spot seems to attract the birds.

That board you see in the center of the frame is the "fake stump" I put up last year.  There was an old tree that I'd been putting my back against for over a decade. It blew down.  I put up the plywood so I would have a back rest.

I am finding out that there are at least there are at least 3 other honey holes on the property.  Right now, my two sons have commandeered  one each.  These are spots I was utilizing previously. 

So what makes it a honey hole?  I've got 200 acres to hunt.  For a long time, I did what most guys do:  go out and listen for a gobble and then set up in a strategic location  close by.  Over time, I realized that I was putting my back against the same tree.  It was just a matter of looking for that best see-and-not-be-seen vantage point.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

soILstrutter

I have a giant oak tree on our family property that has seen plenty of birds meet their demise. From youth hunters, to my father and I together, and even myself. Its located in our river bottoms about 125 yards from a roost area that is used almost every single day of the year by the main flock on our property. Its also in a great location to sit and listen for a mid morning tom. I find my self gravitating to it whenever I need a moment of reflection or peace and quiet as well. I wish that oak tree could talk, because it has probably witnessed better than anyone the evolution of myself as a turkey hunter since the first time I sat down at its base. These great memories I have with great friends and especially my father are at that tree, and always will be.

JohnSouth22

the only thing I kill are all stars at Waffle House

bushangler

Quote from: soILstrutter on April 25, 2022, 10:14:16 AM
I have a giant oak tree on our family property that has seen plenty of birds meet their demise. From youth hunters, to my father and I together, and even myself. Its located in our river bottoms about 125 yards from a roost area that is used almost every single day of the year by the main flock on our property. Its also in a great location to sit and listen for a mid morning tom. I find my self gravitating to it whenever I need a moment of reflection or peace and quiet as well. I wish that oak tree could talk, because it has probably witnessed better than anyone the evolution of myself as a turkey hunter since the first time I sat down at its base. These great memories I have with great friends and especially my father are at that tree, and always will be.
My killing tree is very similar. It's had many of firsts. My first bird, my first bird in my own, a girl friends first bird, my daughters first bird and my biggest local buck. My father is gone now but when I sit against that tree I enjoy reflecting.  It was a leased field of ours for years and a couple years ago my brother and I bought it and it will be my daughters some day. It will be hers to do what she wants with it but I want my ashes under that oak in the corner of the field where I've spent so much time and had so many great memories!

SimanOhio

Yes, I have a spot where I've killed 3 birds and others have also killed. It's the perfect deer funnel and works on the gobblers as well. A couple good bucks have been killed there and I've seen the biggest deer of my life there as well.