turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Unusual Vest Items

Started by Cutt, April 03, 2022, 02:34:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cutt

What are some unusual aids or tools? you carry in your vest.

Mine is a 3 inch mirror, for times a black gnat might fly in your eye. I know before carrying one, I got one in my eye I couldn't get out which worked behind my eye and ruined my hunt for the day. So now when it happens, I get the mirror out quickly and remove it before blinking, hate them things.

WV Ridge Reaper

Pack a firecrackers and a air valve remover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ybuck

40 gallon industrial garbage bag.
multiple uses.
mostly for crossing deep rivers and waterways

Tail Feathers

Explain please.  My guess if for knocking a rude hunter in the head. 
Quote from: Happy on April 03, 2022, 03:29:58 PM
Do I need to explain?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Georgia Boy

Here are a few items that I guess are unusual to  some that I carry in my vest.

2 light sticks
space blanket
whistle

I've carried these items with me for many years primarily due to hunting the mountains a lot especially in my younger days. I have the space blanket which is about a 1/2"x3"x3" size in case I get hurt and I have to stay in the woods over night. The breakable light sticks for emergency lighting at night which can be seen for a long distance if someone is looking for me and the whistle because someone looking for me can hear the whistle way further than they can hear me yell. Now that I'm older I also carry an iPhone tag in my vest which will let my family find me regardless of where I am even with no phone signal or if my phone is dead due to it bounces off of any type signal that can be available.

guesswho

Do I need to explain?
Turkey hunting is half luck?

Oh, and I don't have a vest so there's nothing unusual in it.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

aclawrence

I don't have any super cool answers for this but I do have a tourniquet in my vest. I guess that's about the only non hunting thing I've got in there.

Zobo

I carry a cork to hold push pins and rubber bands. The rubber bands silence box calls and anything that's loose and rattling around and I use the pins to hold up camo netting.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Tail Feathers

Georgia Boy I may add a whistle to my vest.  That's a good idea if you are lost.  I haven't been lost, but I could see that happening.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Cutt

Quote from: aclawrence on April 03, 2022, 09:56:33 PM
I don't have any super cool answers for this but I do have a tourniquet in my vest. I guess that's about the only non hunting thing I've got in there.

That's different. although a good one, something you hope you will not need, but better safe than sorry. Never thought of that, I like the idea., good one.

Cut N Run

In my vest, I carry a stone spearpoint from ~8,000 B.C. that I found on a turkey hunt about 25 years ago, just to remind me how hard it used to be to hunt turkeys.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gooserbat

Straw from an orange sherbet push-up.   Makes a great yelper.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Happy

Quote from: Tail Feathers on April 03, 2022, 08:42:41 PM
Explain please.  My guess if for knocking a rude hunter in the head. 
Do I need to explain?
Its half a horseshoe. I was turkey hunting and it was one of those dead quiet days. I was slipping around trying to find some sign or get something going when I found this. As soon as I picked it up and was looking at it a turkey gobbled. I put the horseshoe in my vest and a short time later I had a turkey to tote out as well. I have been carrying it ever since. I would love know the history behind that horseshoe as it was in the woods. Guessing its from back in the day that horses were used in the timbering industry. Probably a good thing I don't have the second half.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

rakkin6

Quote from: Georgia Boy on April 03, 2022, 09:16:26 PM
Here are a few items that I guess are unusual to  some that I carry in my vest.

2 light sticks
space blanket
whistle

I've carried these items with me for many years primarily due to hunting the mountains a lot especially in my younger days. I have the space blanket which is about a 1/2"x3"x3" size in case I get hurt and I have to stay in the woods over night. The breakable light sticks for emergency lighting at night which can be seen for a long distance if someone is looking for me and the whistle because someone looking for me can hear the whistle way further than they can hear me yell. Now that I'm older I also carry an iPhone tag in my vest which will let my family find me regardless of where I am even with no phone signal or if my phone is dead due to it bounces off of any type signal that can be available.
Tie a piece of rope to the end of your chem lights and make a buzz saw out of them. Twirl them around in front you, using bout 2 feet of Paracord. You can see it forever, that's what we used in the Army when coming back to rally point after an ambush at night. We used the infrared ones so the enemy couldn't see them but we could through our NVG. Obviously you don't have to worry about this.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER