turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Can a jake breed a hen?

Started by LCLT, March 31, 2022, 06:30:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LCLT

Will a jake breed a hen or at what point can they breed? I did a search on the forum and couldn't find if this had been discussed before so I apologize if it has. Just a discussion I recently had with someone. I've seen plenty of long beards breed hens but never a jake.

aclawrence

Good question. I have to believe they could.  I accidentally killed a hard gobbling Jake a few years ago and I bet he would have bred a hen if he had the chance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tal

They do. I had always thought it was as good as a gobbler, they just didn't get the chance often. Recent research shows poor fertility due to testes development so I'm no longer sure. They'll definitely go through the motions

Bolandstrutters

They will definitely try given the opportunity, but I don't think there is any research yet showing that they can successfully breed. 

ferocious calls

They absolutely can successfully breed. I wasn't sure until I started raising Easterns. We had a flock of juveniles that we wanted fertile eggs from. I brought in an adult Tom to be sure. The jakes bred like Champs. Hatched 170 that first spring and summer.

Gooserbat

There's ongoing research but I think from what I've read it's kinda a Jake by Jake thing whether they are reliable breeders.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Turkeyman

Back in the trap and transfer days I recall being told by the trap/transfer folks there several instances whereas jake(s) and hens were released in an area. Procreation occurred.

BBR12

Just heard Dr. Chamberlain on a podcast discussing this. A big study in TX some years ago proved that most jakes can not successfully breed a hen. There are some that can but it's not a yes or no answer. Statistically the percentage is small for the ones that can.

GobbleNut

Whether they can or cannot is apparently debatable from the posts above.  The one thing I will contribute here is that, in most cases, if your spring gobbler season is set at the proper time, this is something that will not have to be worried about. 
The End....  ;D

johnnyk2000

This is good info. I have seen a jake mount a hen but not sure if it was just successful

Paulmyr

There's a study going on this year in Alabama with funding help from TFT that asks hunters to send in the gonads from Jake's shot this season to determine whether or not thier sperm is viable. Theory on the viability of Jake's and subordinate gobbler is they don't produce enough testosterone to make viable sperm. Only Jake's will be involved in the Al study this season
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Sir-diealot

If I remember correctly there was an article last year that that stated 75% of jakes start the season infertile and a small amount of those may become fertile by the end of the season.

Here is one that talks about jakes low success rates at breeding, but not for the reason I mentioned above, I will try to find the other for you. Start reading under the picture of the deep fried turkey.  http://magazine.outdoornebraska.gov/2020/05/the-great-jake-debate-continues/
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

LCLT

I appreciate all the replies. Very good info here. I live in the Southeast where turkey population have been in a decline for awhile. Youth are the only ones that can take a jake here which I kind of like especially if there is not a guarantee that they can breed. Do any feel like other states should make it legal for youth only to kill a jake? Not trying to start a big debate. I'm just wondering if that could help in declining populations? Most of what I've read suggest there really isn't any science to support that. Could it be a puzzle piece along with all the other reasons in population decline?

shatcher

MK M GOBL

Quote from: Gooserbat on March 31, 2022, 09:54:21 AM
There's ongoing research but I think from what I've read it's kinda a Jake by Jake thing whether they are reliable breeders.

This

We raised turkeys on the farm, and some Jakes were mature enough, but others didn't pass the cut... We always we move our jakes to another pen and would a tom in with the hens.

MK M GOBL