OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Hills, SD

Started by 2flyfish4, March 29, 2022, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy

Eggshell, I will give the hunting my best shot and enjoy the experience. Memories will be made either way.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ddturkeyhunter

Quote from: Happy on March 31, 2022, 04:54:32 PM
Eggshell, I will give the hunting my best shot and enjoy the experience. Memories will be made either way.

THat is a very, very good true statement. I have a 8 hr drive out there one way and it took me 3-4 years to shoot my first bird out there, but made memories. Mountain Lions sneeking past you, deer all most stepping on you. But one of my best was a dirt biker riding cross country coming across my decoy in the game trail. Turned off his bike and looked around and didnt see me under a tree, when he bent over to pick up my decoy, thats when I let him know I was there. I think he crapped his pants and was gone. Them are memories you will make, now since I have shot a bird out there every year in past 12 except one.

eggshell

I agree ddturkeyhunter. Happy already knows I have family out there and I actually went last year and never hunted, just had a good time. If I found a bird I would have hunted him, but I didn't try real hard. The family didn't care much for the hikes into the forest. This year they are taking a second vehicle and I am hunting. I have been in the Black Hills 6 years straight and never hunted a day, just running around with family. They are the ones who pushed me to hunt. So yes it is a fun place even without the hunting. Maybe some day we'll all cross paths.

joey46

Some of these replies are an inspiration some are a hoot.  I've been on this, and another forum, for two years trying to decide whether or not to finally pull the trigger on a Black Hills hunt.  It is now time for me to either do it or write it off again.  I had hoped to find the perfect combination of reasonable airfares and decent rental car prices.  Living in south Florida driving is not an option.  With the COVID excuse bargain prices aren't going to happen.  The rental car prices in some venues is truly staggering.  It is my biggest roadblock.  My only option seems to be a Denver arrival, rental car, then a trek north into the southern sections of WY's portion of the National Forest.  Buying the license over the counter in WY a big plus that is not possible in SD.  I'll continue to follow these Merriam post for more "tips".  Maybe I can be one of the old geezers sitting around the campfire telling stories (really loved that one).  Good luck to all.   :fud:

jhoward11

Sounds to me like you have answered all your questions yourself, and already have a plan in place. Only thing your needing is for someone to tell you which trees they roost in. Go do exactly what you said your going to do, and have a great experience. Weather you harvest or not. Don't have to kill to be successful!

tbowers

One thing to keep in mind in the BH is pressure is WAY up- license sales increased 33% last year from 4700 to 6300. The good news is there is 1M acres to explore, if you run into trucks just keep moving and find another spot.  Keep in mind too many dont venture far from the roads- there are spots where you can go miles deep and get into birds that arent messed with. The forest roads grid the area pretty well so the walking is relatively easy/quick.

troutfisher13111

How many tags do you get for the Black Hill region as a nonresident? Says one license, but are there more than one tag included?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkeyfool

Pretty sure it's only 1 tag, 1 bird? It's definitely worth it as an experience. I don't know that it's worth going back year after year as far as the hunting is concerned, but if it's within a 12 hr. drive it's probably worth it as far as the scenery and just overall experience. The hunting isn't easy. You're either going to be around all of the birds or none of the birds. There's not much in between. One thing I will say-easterns are much more fun to hunt in general. Merriams will gobble going away from you for no apparent reason. It gets very frustrating

eggshell

tbowers

Quote from: turkeyfool on April 01, 2022, 12:04:37 PM
Pretty sure it's only 1 tag, 1 bird? It's definitely worth it as an experience. I don't know that it's worth going back year after year as far as the hunting is concerned, but if it's within a 12 hr. drive it's probably worth it as far as the scenery and just overall experience. The hunting isn't easy. You're either going to be around all of the birds or none of the birds. There's not much in between. One thing I will say-easterns are much more fun to hunt in general. Merriams will gobble going away from you for no apparent reason. It gets very frustrating

Id say the opposite, I like hunting Merriams way more then the Easterns around here in WI. Merriams move more/gobble more and can take more strategy to get in front of them. I cant tell you how many full days I've hunted here and WI and not heard a single gobble. I've never had that experience in the BH.

Wvdanimal

Don't know why everyone over thinks the hills.  If you can't find a turkey in 2 million acres you should probably take your man bun and .410 to an outfitter for help!  That being said, I made my first trip in 2010 when turkeys were everywhere in just about every state.  I had no problem filling my tag for nearly 10 consecutive years it was so good.  I haven't been there in a few and understand that numbers are way down.   BUT if you've never been, it's a beautiful place and I believe every serious turkey hunter should try it at least once.  The hills are a special place to me and I've taken many people there to tag a meriams.  One of the perks is the absolute freedom to go just about anywhere for miles running and gunning.   That alone means alot these days when permission keeps shrinking on private land.

VA Gobble Addict

Ill be out there the last week in April. First time I was there i got discouraged because i didnt hear a gobble for four days because they had a snowstorm the day before I got there and it got pretty cold.  I understand where OP is coming from about the amount of money it takes for a NR to go there that lives a pretty good distance from the area.  Ive learned that I dont chase turkeys for the kill anymore and the black hills are my favorite place to turkey hunt.  Even if you dont get one you wont regret the trip. If any of yall are there the same week as me send a message and we can meet up and share stories.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

eggshell

I'm going kind of off topic. Has anyone found any morel mushrooms while hunting the Black Hills?

Hobbes

Quote from: eggshell on April 02, 2022, 05:13:36 AM
I'm going kind of off topic. Has anyone found any morel mushrooms while hunting the Black Hills?

We find them in Montana so no reason that they aren't in the Black Hills under the right conditions.

https://www.lakotatimes.com/articles/morels-in-the-black-hills/

fallhnt

Found lots in another state around cedar trees.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy