OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Hills, SD

Started by 2flyfish4, March 29, 2022, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

falltoms

I've found morrells in the black hills, but don't expect to find them every year. It seems to be dry country , especially the southern hills, and during spring it drops below freezing many nights, which leads to burnt caps on the mushrooms

SD_smith

Quote from: VA Gobble Addict on April 01, 2022, 09:50:17 PM
Ill be out there the last week in April. First time I was there i got discouraged because i didnt hear a gobble for four days because they had a snowstorm the day before I got there and it got pretty cold.  I understand where OP is coming from about the amount of money it takes for a NR to go there that lives a pretty good distance from the area.  Ive learned that I dont chase turkeys for the kill anymore and the black hills are my favorite place to turkey hunt.  Even if you dont get one you wont regret the trip. If any of yall are there the same week as me send a message and we can meet up and share stories.
I never found the snow to affect them. Only while actively snowing hard they'd hunker down. Too many times in subzero temps with tons of snow on the ground and they acted like kamikaze pilots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TurkeyReaper69

eggshell

non residents can not hunt in Custer state Park

SD_smith

Quote from: eggshell on April 03, 2022, 01:00:38 PM
non residents can not hunt in Custer state Park
Yes they can?! Fake news.

eggshell

Hmmm, I was confused since I read this in the state regulations :

look under Custer State Park on page 5

https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/2022springturkey-app.pdf

and this:

Hunting in Custer State Park

Hunting is one of the many tools used to manage Custer State Park's wildlife. Hunting helps reduce the size of populations, preventing overcrowding with the park. Controlling animal numbers ensures an adequate supply of food for all species and prevents habitat degradation and loss as well as competition between species. Most hunting seasons typically occur from mid-September through early January.  Turkey hunting takes place in the spring from mid-April through mid-May each year.  The fees collected from hunting licenses generate revenue which help fund wildlife management programs. Species managed through hunting with the park include bison, elk, deer, pronghorn, mount lion, and turkey. With the exception of buffalo, all seasons are resident only.

SD_smith

Quote from: eggshell on April 03, 2022, 06:59:21 PM
Hmmm, I was confused since I read this in the state regulations :

look under Custer State Park on page 5

https://gfp.sd.gov/userdocs/docs/2022springturkey-app.pdf

and this:

Hunting in Custer State Park

Hunting is one of the many tools used to manage Custer State Park's wildlife. Hunting helps reduce the size of populations, preventing overcrowding with the park. Controlling animal numbers ensures an adequate supply of food for all species and prevents habitat degradation and loss as well as competition between species. Most hunting seasons typically occur from mid-September through early January.  Turkey hunting takes place in the spring from mid-April through mid-May each year.  The fees collected from hunting licenses generate revenue which help fund wildlife management programs. Species managed through hunting with the park include bison, elk, deer, pronghorn, mount lion, and turkey. With the exception of buffalo, all seasons are resident only.
Sarcasm bud.