OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Black Hills, SD

Started by 2flyfish4, March 29, 2022, 08:51:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

2flyfish4

I wonder how many topics have been started on the Black Hills over the years.

If everything lines up id like to make the 1 thousand mile trek up there to harvest my first merriams. I know I want to get up there before the forest service roads open up on May 15th. So with my current schedule I'm thinking a trip from May 10th to the 14th.

I've talked to several local biologist who indicate the population is better on the south end of Black Hills than the north. They do have me alittle concerned as they indicate terrible hatches the past few years and the overall population is at all time lows. With that said I've seen plenty of post from people saying they got into the birds.

Anyone have any recommendations on areas to start looking at on OnX before I am able to put boots on the ground? I figure the tactic ill use is to walk in a few hundred yards from the gates and try to strike up a gobbler. If no response on to the next, cover as much ground as possible till birds are located.

Any additional info anyone is willing to share, via this post or PM is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Fdept56

AndyH

The Biologists are right about the population being down, we were out there last spring for 8 days and heard three birds gobble. Weather wasn't on our side and didn't see much sign at all. I managed to punch my tag and my buddy had a chance to punch his. There are birds around just Be prepared to cover a ton of ground each day both walking and driving. That being said enjoy your time out there, it is a very beautiful place to chase turkeys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tbowers

Just go and try it, hunting turkeys doesnt need to be overally complicated. Drive around, get out and walk a bit, call- no response? Move on.  I think people really overthink things when it comes to turkeys. Population numbers go up and down but they arent extinct- just means you'll get to spend more time hunting potentially which I believe is the main point for most of us.

nebgoosehunter

2flyfish4

Quote from: tbowers on March 30, 2022, 09:46:37 AM
Just go and try it, hunting turkeys doesnt need to be overally complicated. Drive around, get out and walk a bit, call- no response? Move on.  I think people really overthink things when it comes to turkeys. Population numbers go up and down but they arent extinct- just means you'll get to spend more time hunting potentially which I believe is the main point for most of us.

I agree, I think for me it's just having a clear strategy together before I decide on make a thousand mile drive one way, spend close to 40 hours driving just to and from South Dakota,, taking off 5 days of work, spending money on license and hotels. Its a big commitment, especially with gas prices up. I just need to feel confident in my strategy before fully committing to a trip like this.

Hobbes

I must have replied to this elsewhere, so on top of what I've said before.  A big part of hunting these areas includes not quitting.  If you kill a quick one, great.  If you not.......hunt your @$$ off.  Don't stop trying to locate a bird.  Hunt all morning, take a break at some point even if in town for a good burger or something.  Turn right around and hunt all afternoon.  Don't stop looking for a gobbling turkey.  It takes one bird that's right to make the trip.  Don't stop looking for that one bird.

If you blow it on one, keep looking for another.  I can't say it enough...... don't stop looking for a hot bird that wants to die.

tbowers

Yep, obviously if you are driving that far hunt as much as you can. I drive about ten hours to get out there, and last couple years average 10 miles a day. Hunt pretty much dark to dark with a few naps mixed in. I've killed birds at 1pm , they gobble and move all day. Turkey hunting is NOT elk or deer hunting, you dont need a bunch of scouting- I picked a random spot on the map my first time to the BH and had birds gobbling.  You can be lazy and just drive around and run into birds, you see them all the time from the roads.

tbowers

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on March 29, 2022, 08:51:44 PM
. They do have me alittle concerned as they indicate terrible hatches the past few years and the overall population is at all time lows. With that said I've seen plenty of post from people saying they got into the birds.

What biologist told you that? I just talked with one today and said numbers are up, and last year was a good hatch as they didnt get hammered by any late snows.

Fdept56

Jstocks

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on March 30, 2022, 01:06:51 PM
Quote from: tbowers on March 30, 2022, 09:46:37 AM

I agree, I think for me it's just having a clear strategy together before I decide on make a thousand mile drive one way, spend close to 40 hours driving just to and from South Dakota,, taking off 5 days of work, spending money on license and hotels. Its a big commitment, especially with gas prices up. I just need to feel confident in my strategy before fully committing to a trip like this.

Truthfully, I've read and reread this thread and your original post, as well as your secondary post. Quite honestly, it comes across as you don't want to spend your time and efforts to find the information you are asking for.

In your initial post, you already highlighted several key things that the folks who already hunt that are will not appreciate.. because the information provided causes focus on specific areas and timing.

Asking for OnX information .... C'Mon man

tazmaniac

Birds are really spotty... find a pocket it may have 4 or 5 toms... then the next pocket may be 20 to 30 miles away.  Feast or famine.  Don't waste time in an area where you don't hear a gobble.  Cover as much ground as fast as you can and pray you get lucky.  Some locals who have punched their tag have loose lips.  They don't get the concept that those of us in the East understand.  Sweet talk them and they will brag about where they killed their bird, and there were 2 more toms with him.  Go there.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Happy

If I was basing my decision to spend the money and go off of whether or not I have a high chance of being successful, well I would question my true motive for going in the first place. Just a thought.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

eggshell

Well Happy, perhaps if the turkey hunting sucks you can find some old geezers to set around a camp fire with and tell stories. I hear that all turkeys died of covid and everyone should just cancel their trips.