OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Best way to Fry Wild turkey breast

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, March 23, 2022, 09:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisiana Longbeard

Every time I have tried to fry some Wild turkey breast, it always has a real strong gamey flavor to it. Give me some tips in your preparation from field to stove top. Thanks in advance

Happy

I always inject the entire turkey with butter and creole seasoning. Cold smoke it for about 6 hours and then debone everything. Cut into nuggets and roll in flour then fry in more butter with creole seasoning again. I have never had anyone not like it. Even the leg and thigh meat.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tbowers

Rinella once said every turkey license should contain instructions on how to brine a turkey. I'd agree with him there, brine it 24 hours and prepare any way ya like. Tasty times.

Sixes

I've never noticed a gamey taste.  I simply wash the breasts really well, cut into nuggets, put them in a ziplock bag with House Autry seafood seasoning. Throw them in a deep fryer, pull em out, let em cool and eat.

Sixes

Sometimes, I will wash them, apply some Yardbird seasoning and smoke them on a Big Green Egg until 165 degrees or so. Stays moist and is very good.

Greg Massey

I just wash it up and soak it in water for a couple days in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge and cut it up and wash it well again and check it for any shot and then i vacuum seal it and put it in the freezer. I Had fried wild turkey for supper last night, my wife floured it with seasoning and fried it in an electric skillet. That's the way we like it along with mashed potatoes , milk gravy and biscuits... YUMMY ...

ssramage

I cut it in bite size chunks, coat in yellow mustard and batter with House of Autry's Seafood breading mix.

ElkTurkMan

I cut mine into nuggets, Let them soak in Buttermik for 45 minutes.  Then I add 3 cups house autry chicken fryer and one table spoon sugar in a gallon freezer bag.  I then add the nuggets shake them until coated then throw then in the fry daddy and cook until golden brown.   

28roper

Quote from: ElkTurkMan on March 23, 2022, 10:11:33 AM
I cut mine into nuggets, Let them soak in Buttermik for 45 minutes.  Then I add 3 cups house autry chicken fryer and one table spoon sugar in a gallon freezer bag.  I then add the nuggets shake them until coated then throw then in the fry daddy and cook until golden brown.   

As stated above, buttermilk is the key.  The vinegar helps to breakdown the meat and the milk removes any sort of game flavor.  Even better way to do it is 70% buttermilk and 30% hot sauce for anywhere from 6 to 24 hours.

Lucky Goose

Pound it out.  It is hard to beat most schnitzel recipes... 

Dtrkyman

Strong game flavor may be due to how it was cared for in the field.  I rarely use more than salt pepper and olive oil.

Trim any fat, that can have a strong taste, and do not dry it out!

Schnitzel is excellent!

When I fry, I use an air fryer.

HFultzjr

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on March 23, 2022, 09:32:56 AM
Every time I have tried to fry some Wild turkey breast, it always has a real strong gamey flavor to it. Give me some tips in your preparation from field to stove top. Thanks in advance

How is the bird being treated before eating? Everytime I've tasted something (Deer, Turkey, etc) that tasted "gamey", it was because it was not properly cared for. I'm not saying you did it, just something to think about. I personally take a cooler along with a few "Blue Ice Things" along when I go. There are also some great videos how how to breast and debone, which could be done in the field, and then put in the cooler for the ride home. Check your game laws 1st to make sure you are legal.

Shiloh

bwhana

Quote from: Shiloh on March 23, 2022, 11:40:00 AM
https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/copycat-chik-fil-a-turkey-nuggets-recipe

Thank me later!!! 

Oh and make sure to prepare the dipping sauce as well.
Pickle juice is $  The only thing that that makes them better to me than House Autry breader is to crush up some Chicken in a Biskit crackers to use as the breader for frying the nuggets.  Picked that one up from THP, so an old dog can learn new tricks!

Treerooster

Nothing special needed for this one.

Cut up breast into nugget sized pieces, thin is good. Use the flat side of a meat hammer (or regular hammer if you don't have one, clean it first tho) to flatten the pieces...thin is good. Pound them between some cellophane. Pounding them makes all the pieces tender, plus thin is good. Ya got that...thin...is...good.  :icon_thumright:

Soak the meat in milk or an egg thinned a bit with water. Either one works, it just helps the bread crumbs stick to the meat.

Mix up some bread crumbs (flavored if you like) & flour, about 50/50. Add some salt and pepper to taste and mix it all together. I like a good amount of pepper but that is personal. Don't over do it. Bread the meat in the mixture.

Fry hot in some kind of vegetable oil, like 400 degrees. I use Canola oil but whatever you got will work as long as the oil flash point isn't too low. Deep fryer is best but a pan will do fine. Don't fry too much at once as it cools off the oil too much. Be sure the oil comes back up to temperature before throwing in a new batch. Frying hot is healthier as the bread crumbs don't soak up as much oil. As if frying can be healthy.  :) I also put the fried nuggets in a bowl lined with a paper towel to let any excess oil drain off.

Eat them as you desire. Plain, ketchup, horse radish sauce, or even buffalo wing sauce if you want to make "wings" out of them.

Once all done and ate up...go get another turkey.  :blob10: