turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Best way to Fry Wild turkey breast

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, March 23, 2022, 09:32:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Cut the breast into chunks. Place in ziplock or vacuum seal bags with zesty Italian dressing and a can of cokefor at least 24 hrs. Wrap chunks in bacon and put em on the grill.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

btodd00

I did the pickle juice and buttermilk on the bird I killed a couple of weeks ago and it was good, in the past always just used buttermilk and it was still good.

I have wrapped some bigger nuggets in bacon and grilled them several times, drizzled them with honey and dusted them with tonys right when they were coming off the grill, liked that as much as fried.

Turkey is like pizza to me, even when its bad its still pretty good.

callmakerman

Quote from: Sixes on March 23, 2022, 09:42:15 AM
I've never noticed a gamey taste.  I simply wash the breasts really well, cut into nuggets, put them in a ziplock bag with House Autry seafood seasoning. Throw them in a deep fryer, pull em out, let em cool and eat.
This and some hot sauce with blue cheese dressing and life is good.

Lucky Goose

Quote from: btodd00 on March 23, 2022, 01:44:02 PM
Turkey is like pizza to me, even when its bad its still pretty good.

I agree and that's a good way to put it!  ha

cracker4112

Cut across grain into fingers, pound with mallet.  Make egg wash, I like hot sauce and brown mustard in mine.  Bread with 50/50 flour and season breadcrumbs, Tony's and pepper.  Cook with P-nut oil.

Never had a gamey bite before of a wild turkey.

Chief Razor

I like to cut into nugget sized pieces and soak overnight in buttermilk ranch and a jar of sliced jalapeƱos and the juice. Next day roll in seasoned flour, bread crumbs etc. then fry in peanut oil.

Marc

Quote from: Shiloh on March 23, 2022, 11:40:00 AM
https://www.themeateater.com/cook/recipes/copycat-chik-fil-a-turkey-nuggets-recipe

Thank me later!!! 

Oh and make sure to prepare the dipping sauce as well.
Not a fan of the taste of pickles...  How much of a "pickle taste" does this marinade add?
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Muzzy61

Quote from: 28roper on March 23, 2022, 10:56:21 AM
Quote from: ElkTurkMan on March 23, 2022, 10:11:33 AM
I cut mine into nuggets, Let them soak in Buttermik for 45 minutes.  Then I add 3 cups house autry chicken fryer and one table spoon sugar in a gallon freezer bag.  I then add the nuggets shake them until coated then throw then in the fry daddy and cook until golden brown.   

As stated above, buttermilk is the key.  The vinegar helps to breakdown the meat and the milk removes any sort of game flavor.  Even better way to do it is 70% buttermilk and 30% hot sauce for anywhere from 6 to 24 hours.
^^^
:z-winnersmiley:
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Shiloh

Not as much pickle taste as you would think.  If you don't like pickle taste I would only soak it about 3-4 hours.  It taste just like Chick fil a nuggets for reference.

bear hunter

WV Flopper

Cut into fingers across the grain, nuggets would be the same, across the grain.

Egg wash, dredge in Progesso Italian bread crumbs.

I do season the bread crumbs lightly with lemon and pepper seasoning. I use a batter pro to coat the pieces in the crumbs.

Deep frying only takes 3-4 minutes. I have never eaten a wild turkey that tasted gamey. Never. Gamey meat usually comes from over cooking, like liver tasting deer meat-overcooked.

Zobo

I sometimes pound breast cutlets to 1/4" thick, then dip in seasoned flour, then into egg wash, THEN straight into hot oil, no breadcrumbs. It's the reverse of the typical breading method, Italians call it Francese style and is typically done with veal or chicken.
    Once I "fry" a batch this way I get rid of the excess oil in the skillet and add white wine, lemon, parsley and butter to make a sauce and then pour it over the turkey cutlets. It's not really a fry but I promise you it's extremely well received and has absolutely no gamey flavor. It's my kids second favorite way to eat wild turkey, first being wild turkey meatballs in brown gravy.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

LCLT

Cut into nuggets. Zatarains Lemon pepper fish fry. Coat and deep fry. Don't get much simpler. It's worth a try.

g8rvet

I think it is in handling the meat. Clean and ice ASAP. I don't soak in anything. I am very careful about getting out all blood, before I store it in a ziploc.  I also trim as much sinew and fat as I can.  The areas with large tendons are trimmed with a filet knife to not waste meat.  tendons = tough.   

Cut in small thin fingers across the grain, dunk in wet Bisquik pancake batter that has a lot of salt and pepper added, then roll lightly in crushed corn flakes.  Fry until golden brown.  Not too hard.  I have had people that do not like anything gamey (including wife and daughter) that love it.  My daughter says it is her favorite thing to eat over anything.  I usually take a few nuggets to work after frying and the girls fight over it. 

I have never had a turkey taste gamey.  It just tasted more "turkey" than a butterball. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

This bird was walking two hours before he was swimming in grease. 

Did not have corn flakes at the local dollar general so he was just in bisquik.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.