OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What do you think ...

Started by Old Gobbler, March 22, 2022, 03:09:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you think there should be a minimum beard length rule for Florida gobblers

Yes ..6 inch like some other states
No ...

Old Gobbler

Last figures we have is approximately 700 +/- turkeys are harvested on Florida state public WMA's half are hybrids or easterns ..some states have a beard length rule implemented ...some states like Florida have a deer antler point minimum for deer , but no requirement for turkeys

Let me know
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Dtrkyman

I don't personally shoot Jakes, but not sure it makes much difference in the grand scheme of things?

I guess you could look at Mississippi to see when it was implemented and what the result was, though there are likely too many factors to know if it was the primary reason you had more gobblers.

I am neither for or against it.

Maybe let youth hunters harvest jakes?

It is a can of worms for sure!

guesswho

I think there should be a minimum beard length or spur length, with the exception of youth weekend.    I'm not sure what I'd set the minimums at, but probably around 7" beard or a 3/4" spur.   Meet either one of those and you are pretty sure you have at least a gobbler into his second spring
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

joey46

Where'd the 700 figure come from.  Until Florida implements actual tag and report for turkey any figure given is a wild  guess.  Which noted biologist gave the hybrid/eastern figure?  The number of WMAs with actual check stations is few and dwindling.  All in all a pretty lame topic.
7" beard 3/4" spurs???  Seriously!  These birds aren't catch and release.  Shoot one, count it in your yearly bag limit,  consume it, be tickled. 

guesswho

Yes, seriously.   No mention of catch and release? 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

joey46

Quote from: guesswho on March 22, 2022, 03:42:38 PM
What happens with the flopper with the 6 1/2" beard?  Coyote feed?  The number of non qualifying birds left to rot or secretly breasted and consumed in states such as MS is imo astronomical.  Limit 2 birds.  One or both a jake.  So what. 

bigriverbum

Quote from: joey46 on March 22, 2022, 03:44:32 PM
Quote from: guesswho on March 22, 2022, 03:42:38 PM
What happens with the flopper with the 6 1/2" beard?  Coyote feed?

now that's the ultimate turkey hunter. one who can definitively measure the birds beard and spur before pulling the trigger 

guesswho

Quote from: bigriverbum on March 22, 2022, 03:50:01 PM
now that's the ultimate turkey hunter. one who can definitively measure the birds beard and spur before pulling the trigger
Oh boy, bowing out now. 
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

ol bob

A good many can't measure a spur holding it in here hand, sure can't guess it at 40 yards.

Howie g

There's no doubt in my mind without the jake law in ms, we would be way worse off then we are . They get killed down to the jakes annually !
I'm all for a kid getting one or two to start off there hunting career . I let my 7 year old get one last spring . But now he knows it's long beards only .  I'm all for all state implementing it .

guesswho

Quote from: ol bob on March 22, 2022, 04:09:06 PM
A good many can't measure a spur holding it in here hand, sure can't guess it at 40 yards.
I understand that.   My thinking (common sense) is trying to find basic guidelines that would protect gobblers in their first spring.   I would hope that the GW's would understand (common sense) the concept, and let a 6 1/2" beard and 5/8" spurred go.   Like the interstate speed limit of 65,  technically you could be ticketed at 66, but I'm betting thats rare.     

And if that qualifies me as the Ultimate Turkey Hunter, then that's another title I can live with.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

Turkeyman

IMO beard length or spur length restrictions would be ridiculous. If you could instantaneously question the average successful turkey hunter he would have no idea what he just killed. Back when I killed anything a few were jakes with 6.5" beards or so...I've gotten a number of adults with lesser beards. I've killed a number of birds that never fanned out giving me a look. Spur length...heck I doubt if I saw the spurs on 10% or 20% of the birds I've killed. Body size? I killed a good Rio in OK that only weighed 12.5#. So about the only other thing you have to look at is the covert wing feathers depicting an adult bird from a jake, and most guys don't know how to check the coverts.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

6 inch beard or full fan. That's how it is in Miss. I don't have a problem with it. If I had to look at spurs before I shoot I would be in trouble.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Gooserbat

I personally have no problem with a no Jake's rule with the exception of let a youth hunter take a Jake.  Given a little experience after a few Jake's under their belts, the kids will want to take a longbeard as well.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Dtrkyman

Beard length maybe, spur length not a chance!!!

If a scumbag would leave a bird rot he's likely up to no good anyway!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk