OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the good-old-days

Started by Tom007, March 20, 2022, 09:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffC

Tom a little off topic, but growing up in south Jersey, hunting pine barrens, 60's thru 80's, never saw or heard of turkeys. When did Jersey open a season on them?
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Bowguy

80s, to clarify only in northwest part of state were there birds. I remember first time I saw one all the way south in hunterdon. I was amazed. Now the real southern part of state is the way north Jersey was. Birds all over.
The one thing Tom didn't say, it was hard to get a permit when the state first opened. I remember first few years only getting one every few years and not even a week a or e at that

guesswho

I grew up turkey hunting in the 60's in Florida.   We had more turkeys to hunt and less turkey hunters then.   This was pre cell phone, social media, NWTF, TSS, small video cameras and the look at me mentality.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Bowguy

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 08:27:07 AM
I grew up turkey hunting in the 60's in Florida.   We had more turkeys to hunt and less turkey hunters then.   This was pre cell phone, social media, NWTF, TSS, small video cameras and the look at me mentality.

Hit the nail on the head

Tom007

Quote from: Bowguy on March 21, 2022, 08:20:43 AM
Many hunters couldn't even use that technology without information. I believe in handing it down but when I started no one told you anything. That made learning curves hard. These newer hunters don't know how good they have it

Amen Mike, I sure wish I had a mentor. Learned trial by error, but probably made me a better hunter....

JeffC

I think we did to some extent, I remember riding by all deer camps during deer season to see who had bucks hanging from their deer poles. Always remember the talk when groups got together about who shot what. Know its not comparing "apples to apples" with WWW going on, but we did like to show off.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Quote from: JeffC on March 21, 2022, 08:22:07 AM
Tom a little off topic, but growing up in south Jersey, hunting pine barrens, 60's thru 80's, never saw or heard of turkeys. When did Jersey open a season on them?

Hi Jeff, I believe they stocked birds in Northern NJ in 1977. They spread into South Jersey in the past decade. I believe the first NJ spring season started in 1981. Fall hunting started in 1997.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: Tom007 on March 21, 2022, 08:13:04 AM
Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 21, 2022, 07:35:13 AM
Correct. Although this will likely never be addressed due to the fact it would make the choke/shell guys, the decoy guys, the pop up blind guys etc within the industry loose a lot of money. Even the NWTF and TFT are a lost cause with it. Nwtf still continues to pimp out the decoys and blinds at local banquets, they are in big with them as well as jerking them off in the Turkey Call magazine. I was told by an insider with TFT they'd be taking a stance on these controversial topics and so far I've just heard crickets. Sigh... oh well money, money, money.

I am in favor of advancements in technology.  Technology has brought more opportunity to our sport regarding lighter gauge guns to be effective in taking turkeys by youngsters and others who in the past could not participate. It's nice to see our sport able to offer an abundance of options regarding hunting styles and equipment that participants can chose to utilize while enjoying time in the field.
Interesting, didn't think you'd feel that way considering your original post.

I have the complete opposite mindset. I don't want any further advancements.
I wish we had the technology current that we had about 7 years ago.
I wish folks wanting to hunt public ground to have to do the research on boundaries and purchase Topo maps from the USGS or some other entity. Not be able to view public lands and boundary lines and topography from an app.
Folks are strapping decoys to their heads, to remote control cars, and adding the most realistic lifelike features. A fired up field strutter faces almost certain death against these methods.
Shooting TSS at 80 yards out of a 150 dollar choke and killing a gobbler shallows the experience of the hunt, and IMO is a disgrace to the turkey. Yet it is applauded.
YouTube and Facebook group popularity are at an all time high, bringing more and more hunters into pressured ground.
The popularity of slams and traveling is hurting these off the beaten path states which just a few years ago saw virtually zero pressure.
Folks are getting priced out of leases due to the outrageous turkey craze.

I'd rather see methods of take restricted (such as using male decoys, pop up blinds, TSS, etc) rather than cutting bag limits and season dates. These advancements in technology you speak of I will place blame on for the overkilling of turkeys rather than limits or season lengths.

bushangler

Quote from: Bowguy on March 21, 2022, 08:20:43 AM
Many hunters couldn't even use that technology without information. I believe in handing it down but when I started no one told you anything. That made learning curves hard. These newer hunters don't know how good they have it
The best Turkey hunter I have ever saw was my father. He only used diaphragms and if he knew a bird was around it was in big trouble. He never used a decoy and killed turkeys with woodsmanship.

Problem is when I had him around I thought I knew more than he did and never listened to him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I remember when my brother and I would take our kids some 20 years ago. They would carry a single shot 410 or a 20 ga and if the turkey didn't come within 25 yards they didn't shoot. Nowadays gobbler's are being shot at 50 yards with a 410. Some time technology just shouldn't be used.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

greencop01

I've been turkey hunting for 30 years and I say the the 'Good Ol Days' are now. The birds are harder to hunt but they make you think. The time you hunt is now not yesterday. I have cancer and the outlook is 75% cured after surgery. I say every day you can get out there is the Good Ol Days enjoy them. Cherish every day you can get out. And hunt the very best you can. the birds deserve our best. let's give it to them.  :z-twocents:

We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Tom007

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 21, 2022, 11:21:14 AM
Correct. Although this will likely never be addressed due to the fact it would make the choke/shell guys, the decoy guys, the pop up blind guys etc within the industry loose a lot of money. Even the NWTF and TFT are a lost cause with it. Nwtf still continues to pimp out the decoys and blinds at local banquets, they are in big with them as well as jerking them off in the Turkey Call magazine. I was told by an insider with TFT they'd be taking a stance on these controversial topics and so far I've just heard crickets. Sigh... oh well money, money, money.

I am in favor of advancements in technology.  Technology has brought more opportunity to our sport regarding lighter gauge guns to be effective in taking turkeys by youngsters and others who in the past could not participate. It's nice to see our sport able to offer an abundance of options regarding hunting styles and equipment that participants can chose to utilize while enjoying time in the field.

I wish folks wanting to hunt public ground to have to do the research on boundaries and purchase Topo maps from the USGS or some other entity. Not be able to view public lands and boundary lines and topography from an app.
Folks are strapping decoys to their heads, to remote control cars, and adding the most realistic lifelike features. A fired up field strutter faces almost certain death against these methods.
Shooting TSS at 80 yards out of a 150 dollar choke and killing a gobbler shallows the experience of the hunt, and IMO is a disgrace to the turkey. Yet it is applauded.
YouTube and Facebook group popularity are at an all time high, bringing more and more hunters into pressured ground.
The popularity of slams and traveling is hurting these off the beaten path states which just a few years ago saw virtually zero pressure.

I'd rather see methods of take restricted (such as using male decoys, pop up blinds, TSS, etc) rather than cutting bag limits and season dates. These advancements in technology you speak of I will place blame on for the overkilling of turkeys rather than limits or season lengths.

No one can't change or halt technological advances. I pretty much hunt turkeys in a traditional manner, I do have optics on my guns due to the fact that I only have vision in one eye. This post reflects the fact that the new technology sure is changing the game in Turkey hunting. I like the forums rule of not discussing or advocating shots over 40 yards. I pattern all my Turkey guns at 30 yards. This is my zone, 30 yards on in. This is my choice. This whole TSS, long distance shooting topic boils down to ethics. Each person makes decisions on how they want to hunt. There is big money in all of this, that's why it won't go away. Rules, laws, and guidelines are only effective if people understand and follow them. That's why sometimes I think the "good old days" we're not so bad.

Sir-diealot

I often wonder if the increased use of turkey manure* on fields has introduced diseases that they (Wild turkey) otherwise would not have become subjected to? I do not recall anybody using turkey manure* when I was growing up, it was pretty much either pig or cow manure* and maybe some chicken in the home gardens of those that had them.

The other thing and people have gotten made at me here before is the equipment is much more efficient now, it cuts much closer to the ground, goes faster and does not leave behind as much as it used to. (I mainly think of corn with this last part of my sentence) and because of that I think more nests, hens and poults getting ran over and there is less waste corn on the ground for the animals to eat. Also I see in my area every hedgerow and woods is cut down when it is clearly unneeded, this last has also contributed to flooding and other problems in the area.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: guesswho on March 21, 2022, 08:27:07 AM

Bingo!!  You win the internet today. 

El Pavo Grande

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on March 21, 2022, 11:21:14 AM

Bingo again!!!  You tie guesswho with the internet post of the day.   

It needs to slow down.  At what point do we say enough is enough with technology?   It might not be "THE" cause for population declines, but if gobbler carryover matters for breeding, it has played a role somewhat.   It can't be debated.....technology has made it easier to hunt and kill turkeys.  No doubt about it.  OnX and other technology holds one's hand and leads you to locales that once required boot leather and deciphering a map through the fear of getting lost.  So, where one or two might venture, now ten do.  Advancements such as this, along with the marketing and accessibility of limitless information through social media have proven to "dummy" it down.  Is that a positive for turkey hunters?   On the surface, Yes in some ways.  But, does that outweigh the negatives?  I would say no way.   

I agree 110% and have thought the same things.  If you want to reduce harvests and increase gobbler carryover while still allowing the most hunt opportunity (which is days allowed to hunt), then prohibit decoys, reaping, remote operated decoys, etc.  You can still allow more days afield, thus promoting hunter opportunity, while balancing the harvest.   We are at the point I'm not sure self-policing is an effective strategy unfortunately, because of the current culture.  It's past the point of enough hunters placing the resource and the future above self gratification.