OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Sometimes I wish I could go back to the good-old-days

Started by Tom007, March 20, 2022, 09:37:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

Quote from: The Heartbreak Kid....... on March 22, 2022, 07:26:07 AM
For me, my "good ol' days " are everyday I am In the bush hunting,whether It's the wild turkey,bear,whitetails,moose,grouse. The only reason why I would ever want to go back to the early days of my youth in the 80's and early 90's is because It would mean I have more days ahead than I do now at my age.

I don't miss the clothing that was not warm enough, or I don't miss my younger days when I had to scratch to be able to buy something I wanted. I am proud of what I do now, I haven't really changed my hunting "ways" much, other than I now carry a 20 gauge sometimes,my range will always be ethical, and I carry a new bow or 2 every year.  I can only speak for myself but I enjoy being comfortable hunting when it is -35 late season bow hunting, or -12 the first first week or 2 of season in the spring.

I don't use onyx, I hunt all private land and honestly have ran into 2 other turkey hunters in 20 years, one of them is a scumbag poacher theif who I have turned in, the other is an outstanding hunter and a close friend of my dads.

I feel for the people who have to deal with tons of people and pressure, even our deer hunting has declined in numbers,I don't let others bother me when I am in the woods, or try not to and I try and stay out of the online bickering and stuff, I would rather just talk about equipment online, I try and keep my "hunts" and my hunting ways, a personal experience with a select few. I don't share them because I create them for myself, not somebody else.

Tom007, I respect your posts and view points, I myself being  42 have come to realize the greatest piece of advice my dad ever told me was, have fun,respect the animals and hunt by the law, you won't have to be looking over your shoulder worrying about somebody all the time.

Good luck to all this spring.April 25th can't get here fast enough. I'll still be toting my heavy,long Browning bps nwtf and lead#6's into the woods.

Your dad's advice is a cornerstone for all of us and is the best advice any new hunter should always follow and remember. Amen to him, you too have a great, safe season......

camotoe

Nothing wrong with longbows just got to get them Close like turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom007

Wow, nice job!. That's traditional hunting. Congrats...

ybuck

grayfox

Great post Tom. Really brings back some old memories. I didn't start turkey hunting until I was past 40 so I missed out. But back then around where I live when you bought camo you took a visit to the Army Barn & got some woodland camo or plain old OD green to hunt in. And those 30" FC shotgun barrels was like TSS is now for turkeys back then.

Gooserbat

Quote from: camotoe on March 23, 2022, 08:32:39 AM

Nothing wrong with longbows just got to get them Close like turkey hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nothing wrong with a longbow.  I hunt some with Trad equipment and I've taken deer with Trad.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.