turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Funniest things you have seen while hunting

Started by Happy, March 16, 2022, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doctor Longbeard

I was in high school and hunting before school on NF (in the mountains).  Had a gobbler working his way up a finger ridge toward me.  He got within 75 yards and was strutting.  Then I notice another bird behind him who also started to strut.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized it was a peacock.

The two started to squabble and when it was all said and done the gobbler sailed back down in the bottom.  The peacock came within 25 yards right to my calls.  Didn't even spook when I stood up and started making my way back to the Jeep. 

Went back several times and never heard or saw the peacock again.  This was out in the middle of nowhere with no houses with miles.

Paulmyr

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 23, 2022, 12:50:52 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on March 17, 2022, 01:10:56 PM
Me taking a leak in the in the woods morel hunting because you cant hunt afternoons in Mo. As I turn while tucking myself in, I'm startled by Mrs Greene Jeans. She's standing directly to my right about 15 yds away and kinda cute at that. She got the full profile. She asked if I had seen anything, nope was my reply. "Kinda wet out here." she led on.

Bro, I think you missed your chance.
I may have. I think she may have been a little intimidated.   :drool:
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Doctor Longbeard on March 24, 2022, 12:01:22 PM
I was in high school and hunting before school on NF (in the mountains).  Had a gobbler working his way up a finger ridge toward me.  He got within 75 yards and was strutting.  Then I notice another bird behind him who also started to strut.  I couldn't believe my eyes when I realized it was a peacock.

The two started to squabble and when it was all said and done the gobbler sailed back down in the bottom.  The peacock came within 25 yards right to my calls.  Didn't even spook when I stood up and started making my way back to the Jeep. 

Went back several times and never heard or saw the peacock again.  This was out in the middle of nowhere with no houses with miles.

Thats hilarious. Never witnessed it myself, but have heard multiple accounts from people who've saw peacocks running with turkey.

TRG3

While hunting in early April in Hardin County, Illinois several years ago, I kept calling to a gobbler that would not come in. It soon became evident that I'd have to move toward him, which I did until I came to a creek about 30' wide and thigh deep. Being a relative novice to turkey hunting, I decided to grit my teeth and wade the creek. While the gobbler kept responding to my calls, he never came any closer, making it necessary for me to slowly move toward him. It wasn't very long until the roof of a barn came into view, soon followed by other farm buildings, and my gobbler...responding from behind a fence in the barn yard! While that was bad enough, I had to re-wade the creek and spend the rest of the morning in wet boots, etc.