News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Funniest things you have seen while hunting

Started by Happy, March 16, 2022, 05:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jhoward11

btodd00

I was hunting an afternoon in north Florida on our lease, I was walking up a sandy road in the middle of our property and started seeing tracks everywhere on edge of a clearcut. Heard a gobble and setup on the edge of the road right beside a mud hole, I was tucked back pretty good in the grass and briars on edge of the road because there weren't any trees. I sit about 5 mins, call a few times trying to either call the bird to me or get a better bearing on where he was when a truck starts coming up that road. The took the mud hole on my side of it doing about 15mph, never saw me even though he passed within feet of me,  coated me, gun, chair everything in a 3ft wall of stank mud water. Worst part was I never heard the bird again.

FullChoke

Late one afternoon, I was making my way quietly down through the woods in a creek bottom. I felt a certain aquatic pressure and stopped where I was, leaned my gun against a tree, unzipped and started relieving myself in the leaves. Suddenly there was a great rustling commotion all around my feet and leaves went flying everywhere. I jumped backwards just in time to see 4 baby armadillos running in all directions. Apparently they had burrowed down under the leaves to hide and I just happened to pick that exact spot to stop and pee on them.

Cheers  ;D

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

BBR12

I was turkey hunting late one morning and was on a big hill overlooking a field. There was a gobbler following a lone hen around strutting almost continuously. I make a huge loop to get to where they were headed and got to the edge of the field. I located them out a couple hundred yards coming generally in my direction. As I'm sitting here watching them the gobbler turns his back to the hen and she flat out broke into a wide-open run back across the field. I'm assuming to go back to her best and lay an egg. That gobbler was trying to strutt and trying to run and keep up. He would be running blow into strutt and almost fall over from momentum. Take off running again and repeat. It was freaking hilarious. I was just sitting there laughing watching him do that the 200 yds or so across the field straight back to where I had been.

Gmed

I was deer hunting one afternoon in middle Virginia. As it started to get dusk, I saw a lone gobbler coming through to woods towards me. He came to within 40 yards and started looking up. It took me a minute to figure out he was deciding which tree he wanted to fly up in to roost. I couldn't believe when he chose a white pine. These have limbs spaced out in circles around the trunk in tiers with each tier being only a couple feet apart and starting fairly low to the ground. He must have been a lazy turkey because he only had to pitch up 8-10 feet to get to the first tier of limbs. As he flopped up from one tier to the next I had to sit and listen to all the noise he was making. The space between tiers was so tight he couldn't "fly" from one tier to the next and had to kind of hop/jump/flap up. As he got to each tier, he would sit a minute and eyeball his next move. Finally, as he neared the top (I am sure he was just going to hop into a neighboring tree with less limbs for his final roosting spot), he somehow lost his balance or a limb knocked him backwards as he tried to move and he began falling/flopping/flying back down that pine. He did that flop down each and every tier as he tried to catch his balance or stop his descent. The spaces between the limbs was so confined, he couldn't catch himself and flopped tier to tier all the way to the first level and then pitched to the ground. He fluffed up his feathers, looked up that pine and then looked all around where he landed. It looked exactly like he was checking to see what in the world happened in that tree and then if anyone had seen his silliness....

HillclimberWV

Was relocating after an unsuccessful morning hunt and my buddy had me stop the truck because nature was calling. I pull over on the access road and he gets out and goes off in the woods aways. Directly i hear this hooping and hollering to him running across the road with his pants around his ankles waving his arms like a mad man. Apparently the hollow log he decided to prop up against had a yellow jackets nest and they were particularly salty about him invading their territory. All i could do was sit in the truck and laugh.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

mattbrooks

I rounded a bend in a gravel road one day and about 50 yards away was a woman, rather nice looking by the way, squatted in front of her car peeing. She thought being in the front would block her from view, only problem was that was the way I was coming from. Her shiny hiney wasn't a bad sight to see. It was funny watching her squirm back into her jeans while trying to get out of the middle of the road.

hunter85

Quote from: FullChoke on March 18, 2022, 11:17:22 AM
Late one afternoon, I was making my way quietly down through the woods in a creek bottom. I felt a certain aquatic pressure and stopped where I was, leaned my gun against a tree, unzipped and started relieving myself in the leaves. Suddenly there was a great rustling commotion all around my feet and leaves went flying everywhere. I jumped backwards just in time to see 4 baby armadillos running in all directions. Apparently they had burrowed down under the leaves to hide and I just happened to pick that exact spot to stop and pee on them.

Cheers  ;D

FC
I'm sure I would have got some on my boots! In that situation.

Zobo

I had a coyote run straight at my single hen decoy smashing right into the thing at full speed. He hit that hard plastic body so hard the decoy popped about 5 ft into the air and the coyote trotted off stumbling and woozy.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sixes

Early bow season here in Georgia used to start in mid September and I was hunting on a WMA around Lake Allatoona and I had a stand up a cove really close to the water and between 2 oak ridges. Back then, there were very few boats on the lake during the week especially in September. Well, I hear a boat pull in to the cove, which is kind of hidden and off the main body of the lake, and shutoff the motor and I am just assuming they are fishing. Nope.

I can hear the ol boy trying to talk his gal into some loving and within a little bit, he had talked her into it. I even heard him say "There is no one around". But, there was someone around and I decided to have a bit of fun.

I would blow my grunt call and they would stop and look around and then I would do it again. I finally let out a big long grunt and I think the guy figured out that they were not alone but that didn't stop their fun.

They cranked up and left a bit later, but I can't help but laugh when I tell the story. THere was a rut going on hat day but it wasn't deer!

Gooserbat

A Jake that was love struck over a Canadian goose.  Or one of cousins Keefton's snake encounters.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

g8rvet

Easy choice for me.  We were dove hunting a pretty big field. One of the guys across the field goes into super stealthy creepy creep mode, head down, gun to shoulder.  We are like WTH is going on?  It is early November.  He shoots and trots over to pick something up.  As he starts proudly walking back to us, we all exclaim this idjit has a (out of season) turkey hen slung over his shoulder.  He gets close enough to show us his out of season turkey hen and flops it on the ground proudly at our feet.  We are all pizzing ourselves laughing at him and no amount of convincing by us could persuade him that he had shot a peahen.  He took it home and ate it and said it was delicious.  And it was a turkey hen.   :funnyturkey: :funnyturkey:
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Paulmyr on March 17, 2022, 01:10:56 PM
Me taking a leak in the in the woods morel hunting because you cant hunt afternoons in Mo. As I turn while tucking myself in, I'm startled by Mrs Greene Jeans. She's standing directly to my right about 15 yds away and kinda cute at that. She got the full profile. She asked if I had seen anything, nope was my reply. "Kinda wet out here." she led on.

Bro, I think you missed your chance.

tomstopper

Seen a gobbler stop about 80 yards away from my hen decoy and I while crossing an open field only to make love to a cow patty. When he was done, he just simply walked into the woods and vanished. Guess my hen wasn't attractive enough  :funnyturkey:

Timmer

I had a badger sneak through the woods with the intent of going after my decoy.  I lost sight of it but could hear it because it used the tree I was leaning against as cover before making its big move.  It ran right alongside my leg out into the field.  It got about 2 feet away from the decoy and realized something wasn't right and bolted. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!