turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

GPS usage

Started by Bowguy, March 13, 2022, 06:18:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Guess I'm bored fellas. All dressed up and nowhere to go yet, planned to listen this morning but didn't realize daylight savings time went into effect so I've got to wait.
Anyhow I've got time to post a random question? Does anyone use a handheld GPS? I typically use a phone app but it's not always friendly when there's limited signal. The touch screen I'm no fan of, some gps have buttons, the battery on my phone I don't wish to run down.
Anyhow being there's so few birds anywhere near here apparently I may need to expand to new areas.
Marking spots, roosting birds, morel areas, run lines or the correct oak trees full of nuts to go back to is good. Again I commonly use a phone. Besides the button thing does anyone see an advantage? Also how bright is the light in the dark? I use no flashlight and seldom the phone shen I get close. I know my areas decently but if I'm on new places?
Any suggestions/ideas/thoughts  would be appreciated. I leaning toward everything already works as is

Happy

I use a bushnell backtrack sometimes. However it only let's you mark 3 spots and thats it.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

RiverBuck

On the other side of the spectrum is the Garmin InReach.
It does everything you're asking about plus can send text messages and call in a choppa if you ever hit the SOS button.

Bowguy

Yoder409

I use a Garmin 64 when I'm out of state.  I have OnX chips for several different states.  It's really nice for keeping me on properties where I'm allowed to be and off the ones I'm not.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Bowguy

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 13, 2022, 08:08:57 AM
I use a Garmin 64 when I'm out of state.  I have OnX chips for several different states.  It's really nice for keeping me on properties where I'm allowed to be and off the ones I'm not.

I've heard the 64 recommended over n over. That's one with buttons. Seems you can load area maps but is that computer hard or are they already on the card for immediate use?

Yoder409

Quote from: Bowguy on March 13, 2022, 08:25:35 AM

I've heard the 64 recommended over n over. That's one with buttons. Seems you can load area maps but is that computer hard or are they already on the card for immediate use?

You go on Garmin's site and you can custom crop maps for download into the unit.  It's pretty slick, actually.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

PalmettoRon

Absolutely use a GPS when hunting big country in CO, NM and AZ. Also have OnX on my phone and load offline maps of the area before the trip. Lastly carry a compass.

I feel very well taking off cross country and over mountains. It's nice to mark a spot from years past that held birds even though those Merriams may have moved off a few miles depending on snow and water conditions.

Bowguy

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 13, 2022, 08:27:13 AM
Quote from: Bowguy on March 13, 2022, 08:25:35 AM

You go on Garmin's site and you can custom crop maps for download into the unit.  It's pretty slick, actually.

Ok thanks. I was hoping it'd be just plug n play. I use an alpha gps pkg on my hounds and need help updating it every so often. I think I'm getting it now though

Bowguy

Thank you guys, appreciated

Paulmyr

Lost my hand held last year in the Arizona desert. Had it clipped to my belt. It pulled off while navigating with my phone. No matter hadn't used it in a couple years. Strictly phone app for me. I keep a battery bank handy to charge phone when needed. My bank usually lasts for about 5,6 charges.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Greg Massey

I really don't use one of those App.. but i do carry one of those small rechargeable phone banks in my satchel .. I paid less than 6 dollars for it at Walmart..

Rapscallion Vermilion

InReach for me.  Wouldn't be without it when out of cell service and I've seen too many phones unexpectedly die to just rely on the phone GPS.  I carry a compass too for real wilderness trips like the Gila in New Mexico.

Dtrkyman

Phone, no reason for another piece of equipment that does the same thing.  Download maps, use in airplane mode to conserve battery.  Carry a small power bank that can charge my phone fully 2 times.

Compass for backup in the mountains.

Hobbes

Quote from: Dtrkyman on March 13, 2022, 11:56:17 AM
Phone, no reason for another piece of equipment that does the same thing.  Download maps, use in airplane mode to conserve battery.  Carry a small power bank that can charge my phone fully 2 times.

Compass for backup in the mountains.

This is what I do, except  I'm usually back at the truck before the phone is near out of power, so just charge in the truck.